Sharpshooter Thief Kit

Andyr

SHARPSHOOTER: This sort of thief tends to be a stealthy character, preferring to engage their target from afar with bolt or arrow rather than face them in dangerous melee combat. Unlike the ranger, they use their skills to aid their dubious activities involving the property and lives of others rather than the protection of the great outdoors.

Although well - versed in the use of many missile weapons, the sharpshooter is not as resilient as a true warrior and the propensity for missile attacks over melee means that they lack the opportunism of other thieves when it comes to backstabbing. They tend not to see this as a disadvantage, instead striking from the shadows with a well - aimed projectile, or setting a deadly trap for those who would follow, when necessary.

Advantages:

- Can attain Mastery in any missile weapon a Thief can use, and place 2 slots in Two Handed Weapon Fighting Style.

- Can make a Called Shot once per day per 5 levels. When he activates this ability, any shot made within the next 10 seconds is augmented in the following manner (according to the level of the sharpshooter):

4th level: -1 to THACO of target

8th level: -1 to save vs magic of target

12th level: -1 to strength of target

16th level: +2 bonus to damage

Disadvantages:

- Cannot be of Lawful Good alignment.

- Backstab multiplier capped at x2.

So, don't say I never do anything. :D

Compatible with AoE, etc. Read the ReadMe for full details. Uses the standard thief HLA table, so should work with Rogue Rebalancing or Refinements and stuff.

CamDawg edit: The mod has been deprecated, go get Song & Silence instead.

I almost, *almost* chose it as a kit for my current Tutu game. I opted for a swashbuckler instead, as Imoen and Kivan are doing a fine time acting as firing squad.

On an unrelated note, Khalid as a dual-wielding Wizard Slayer is kicking ass in my party. Who woulda thought?

I almost, *almost* chose it as a kit for my current Tutu game.  I opted for a swashbuckler instead, as Imoen and Kivan are doing a fine time acting as firing squad. 

On an unrelated note, Khalid as a dual-wielding Wizard Slayer is kicking ass in my party.  Who woulda thought?

At first I read that as Khalid dual-wielding Wizard Slayers! I can see it now...

As I said before, it's underpowered.

Consider 2 Thief kits that have essentially the same Disadvantages: The Swashbuckler and the Sharpshooter. Both can't Backstab worth crap, and both "cannot be Lawful Good."

Now compare their Advantages: The Sharpshooter gets a maximum bonus of +3 to THAC0 and Damage, plus the occasional Called Shot (which can only affect the target if the caster has the THAC0 to hit the target), and the ability to Dual-Wield semi-competently (pretty useless on a ranged character).

In comparison, the Swashbuckler gets -1 bonuses to THAC0 and AC every 5 levels, meaning that by Level 15, he will have matched the Sharpshooter in terms of ranged THAC0 and ApR, with the only difference being a piddling 3 damage per hit. So, essentially, you're saying that the ability of Called Shot is equal in power to having the Swashbuckler's AC and full Dual-wielding capabilities. Sorry, but that's just plain wrong.

I could do. Instead of Called Shot, or as well as?

I don't think the Sharpshooter is less powerful than a kitless thief. It may be less powerful than the Swashbuckler, but then again I think the Swashbuckler is overpowered. :D

I could do. Instead of Called Shot, or as well as?

I don't think the Sharpshooter is less powerful than a kitless thief. It may be less powerful than the Swashbuckler, but then again I think the Swashbuckler is overpowered. :D

I would think poison arrows instead of called shot. We are talking about a thief after all. And would it be possible to be able to shoot while hiding in shadows? I'm still thinking Robin Hood here and the ability to be kinda sniper-like.

Attacking will break invisibility; I'm pretty sure this is hardcoded and can not be avoided. Poisoned arrows sounds more like it's becoming an assassin kit. I'd rather see arrows that make it easier to hit the target--either reducing target's AC, or something like a slow or entangle effect.

Yeah, it'll break Invisibility.

If someone posts alternative ideas I'll code them up to replace Called Shot - will also have a think. :D I do have a mind of my own.

I think.

You could probably steal the Glitterdust spell gfor that. The Archer could have some stinging powder in a light woven bag on the end of the arrow. With a good enough shot, the powder puffs out of the bag and causes the opponent's eyes to tear up, effectively blinding them.

Fancy arrows and the like are applicable only if the user has the ability to actually score a hit--which, given Andyr's current hobbling of the kit, does not seem likely. Really, denying the Sharpshooter its level-based combat bonuses renders the entire kit futile: A Fighter->Thief Dualed at level three would be more powerful than a Sharpshooter. Without these bonuses, the kit as it presently exists is not my Sharpshooter kit, and therefore should be called something else and should have all mention of my name (if any) expunged from it.

But that's negativity. I'd much rather do something constructive.

The fancy arrows idea is nifty, but there are 2 problems with it:

1) The Sharpshooter is supposed to be a crossbreed between the Archer and the Thief--so why should it get an ability that neither the Archer nor Thief can use?

2) Not all Thieves use Short Bows. What about the Dwarven Sharpshooter who finds it more in character to use a Crossbow? Or the Sling-toting Sharpshooter->Cleric? Or somebody who decides to take advantage of all those enchanted Darts the game dumps at your feet?

Andyr, regarding your comment that I really shouldn't compare the Sharpshooter with the Swashbuckler due to the Swashbuckler's being overpowered....I really can't argue the point, never having played a Swashie, but I'll take your word for it. Which is why my current design for the Sharpshooter includes such stiff disadvantages.

ADVANTAGES:
  • Can reach Mastery (+++) in any missile weapon a Thief can use (Short Bow, Crossbow, Sling, Darts)

• +1 to THAC0 and Damage with missile weapons every 5 levels

• Special Ability of Called Shot every 6 levels

• Able to choose the ToB HLAs of Whirlwind and Power Attack

DISADVANTAGES:

• Only 15 Thieving Points to distribute per level

• No Backstab Multiplier

• May not place any proficiency points in Two-Weapon Style

• Does not gain ToB HLAs of Use Any Item, Scribe Scrolls, Assassination, Set Spike Trap, or Set Time Trap

Archived