BG1: Alternate PC backgrounds

NiGHTMARE

From a realistic point of view, pretty much the only logical class choices for the PC are bard, cleric (of Deneir, Milil or Oghma), fighter, mage, monk, or sorcerer. Perhaps thief at a stretch.

Similarly, with an elven childhood lasting almost as long (longer, for some subraces) as the average human lifespan, how could an elven PC have possibly been raised by a human sage?

To explain these things, how about creating new PC's backgrounds, determined by alignment, class, and race?

For example, perhaps the PC grew up on the streets of Baldur's Gate, was an acolyte of the temple of Umberlee, was raised by a family in Gullykin, or was adopted by the Mirrorshades when they sacked the temple of Bhaal that would later become the Friendly Arm Inn.

I appreciate this would be a *lot* of work, with a huge number of alternate banters and interjections required (EDIT: especially if BG1 NPC compatability is desired). However, even a single alternate (preferrably one for a wide range of evil PCs) would add an extra touch of believability to the game, as well making the 1000th play through a tad more interesting.

Anything like this that expands the roleplaying dimension of the game is extremely welcome in my book. So in effect this is like developing a kit for the PC that comes with its own unique, alternate history...

Assuming that you can edit certain parts of the game such as the introduction, and the banters in Chapter 6 upon returning to Candlekeep, etc., I think this could add a lot to the gaming experience. As you suggest, it opens the door for modding an endless variety of personal PC backgrounds, each with its own peculiar slant. In the case of your example, the PC would elicit unique banters from NPCs at locations like FAI, Gullykin, and the temple of Umberlee. And specific banters from NPCs, as you mention.

My guess is that most players who won't mind at all playing a PC for whom others have written the backstory. Because most devoted fans of this game are by now continually on the lookout for a fresh experience of playing the game. And that comes by way of 'roleplaying', at least as we understand roleplaying to occur in a singleplayer computer game such as this.

Edit: Your idea puts me in mind of a related concept I've been thinking about for some time now, outlined in this thread.

I like that idea. And there is also a one stupid thing...

How Sarevok can be my brother when I'm a dwarf? ;( PC and Sarevok have got ONE MOTHER. How?!

Bhaalspawn share the same father: Bhaal. Before his assassination during the Time of Troubles Bhaal went around impregnating females of all different races as part of his scheme to have himself resurrected.

But with Sarevok we have got one mother! Check that thing, which Gorion ghost say in Pocketplane(.net?) in ToB.

Gorion says no such thing in the english version at least. Again, they'd have to be twins for the timeline to make sense, and if they were - why doesn't Alianna's apparition mention that Sarevok is also her son?

It's one case where ToB actually makes slightly more sense than the original game - ie children where born at different time before the Time of Troubles and stock-piled; Gorion was not Alianne's lover, he just selected a kid at random at the Horrid and Mysterious Temple of Bhaal. Sure thing it has to involve some sort of magical interference with PC's brain Obsidian-style to make him/her forget the years in the Temple, but it makes better sense than 'rasied from birth'. Alternatively, you just use the good old Kay's Fionavaran twist where the children of the gods grow at an alarmingly quick rate. So, you just need to tweak a couple of strings in the game to "you don't know..." " you don't remeber much" "Gorion said you were a sickly child" and then correct Sarevok's spiel.

It's one case where ToB actually makes slightly more sense than the original game - ie children where born at different time before the Time of Troubles and stock-piled; Gorion was not Alianne's lover, he just selected a kid at random at the Horrid and Mysterious Temple of Bhaal.

Yes, but surely there has to be some limit - how many years could Bhaal possibly have spent sowing his wild oats (ahem) over Faerun?

Yes, but surely there has to be some limit - how many years could Bhaal possibly have spent sowing his wild oats (ahem) over Faerun?

This is the only explanation except for magicaly quick aging for Bhaal to have a fully grown Dragon grand-child. It also reasonably accomodates various races for a Candlekeep orphan.

Oh, and by the way, Sarevok's mother is not Alianne, she neither died in childbirth (BG1 story of Bhaalspawn) not was killed by Gorion (ToB version of events); she was garroted by Sarevok's stepfather, Rieltar Anchev. It is in Sarevok's diary in BG1. Unlike the Candlekeep orphan, Sarevok remembers his mother and seems to be quite fond of her (wants to kill Rieltar in the same fashion as his mother died).

But why Sarevok and PC were both in that foul Bhall temple?!

Now that is an interesting question - one could guess that Sarevok's mother had brought him there to be killed, but then why would he remember her with fondness? Perhaps the mother Sarevok remembers was simply his adopted mother, who ended up murdered by Rieltar, and his real mother was killed by the Harpers at the temple?

Archived