Harper items

Miloch

Harper item locations  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm asking this to assist with implementing this portion of the Harper Scout kit mod (the kits themselves are already Tutu-compatible for the most part). If you have a specific NPC or store in mind where these should be, please mention it. :)

For more info on yarpen's kits, visit TeamBG.

There are item descriptions:

Harph amulet

This is a simple amulet, which was made by the Harpers. It is a mark of gratitude towards people who are loyal and friendly with the Harpers. It grants the wearer protection from fear and protection from missles.

STATISTICS:

Special:

+1 to AC vs. missles

Once per day can cast Remove fear

Can't use:

Evil character

Scimitar +2: 'Blade of stars'

On blade of this sword there are ancient scripts, which reveals who made this sword - Harpers. At night this sword emits a bright glow, which protects the wielder from negative energy. This sword also grants the wielder some of the power and lore of ancestrial Harpers.

STATISTICS:

Damages: 1D8 +1, +3 at night

Thac0: +1, +3 at night

Special:

+4 to saving throw vs. death at night

+10 to lore

Infravision

Damages type: slashing

Weight: 4

Speed factory: 3

Profinency type: scimitar/wakizashi/ninja-to

Weapon type: 1-handed

Reqiured strenght: 10

Can't use:

Evil character

Cleric

Mage

The Blade of Stars is overpowered for Tutu. The best comparison in the existing game would be the Bastard Sword +1/+3 v Shapeshifters. The Blade of Stars clearly outclasses it, though, as it also includes lore and (sometime) save bonuses. The Bastard Sword +1/+3 is not even available until you reach the city of Baldur's Gate proper, to give an idea of where he devs felt it belonged on the power scale.

The amulet's a nice idea, though. I think it's especially well suited considering how many packs of bandit and Chill archers like to pick you apart with ice arrows. With that in mind, I'd suggest making it available somewhere prior to Cloakwood.

Edit: Bah. URL links don't work in poll questions and aren't editable? :)

They should be if you do the 'Full Edit' instead of the 'Quick Edit'. Or maybe I can do it because I have OMG ADMIN POWAH.

The Blade of Stars is overpowered for Tutu. The best comparison in the existing game would be the Bastard Sword +1/+3 v Shapeshifters. The Blade of Stars clearly outclasses it, though, as it also includes lore and (sometime) save bonuses. The Bastard Sword +1/+3 is not even available until you reach the city of Baldur's Gate proper, to give an idea of where he devs felt it belonged on the power scale.

Actually I disagree with this as you can pick up two +3 scimitars before reaching nashkel, a +2 longsword (+1 cold damage) in nashkel, and various other pieces of powerful weapons / armour quite early on (+3 shadow armour, anyone?). Also, the bastard sword +1/+3 is, in fact, available in cloakwood if you either side with the druids or pick his pocket by which stage it is of limited use anyway until you fight the dopplegangers. I would, however, suggest that you not make the blade a scimitar since, as I've said, you can pick up drizzt's scimitars early and with relative ease, both of which are better than this - you may want to consider making it a bastard sword, in fact, since there are only 2 magic bastard swords in the game.

One other point on the idea of balance - how have you implemented the conditional +3, since, often when "nighttime" is implemented, it translates as "not sunlight" so dungeons, etc count, which would make it essentially +3, which would be overpowered for tutu.

Drizzt's scimitars are realistically available only if you have an intense love of cheese.

That we're comparing the item to the most powerful weapons of BG (Varscona, Bastard Sword +1/+3 v Shapeshifters) is, IMO, validation that it shouldn't be added in its current form. Grain of salt, of course: the Exotic Item component in Tweaks only adds one +2 weapon--and it's cursed, so that should give you an idea of how conservative I think BG weapons should be. :)

Edit: Bah. URL links don't work in poll questions and aren't editable? :)
They should be if you do the 'Full Edit' instead of the 'Quick Edit'. Or maybe I can do it because I have OMG ADMIN POWAH.
That has to be it. My feeble powahs wouldn't work on either edit mode. :) If you wouldn't mind fixing it... cheers.
Drizzt's scimitars are realistically available only if you have an intense love of cheese.
Let's just say that I'm not lac-tose intolerant. ;) One of the first things I do is pick up a halberd and four stooges and head to Fisherman's Lake.

Heh. I couldn't post "lac-tose" without the hyphen:

We're sorry, you have run afoul of G3's spam filter by using one or more words on our banned list: ac-tos

G3 has been attaked by many bots lately so we've been forced to aggressively fight spam. If you feel you are receiving this message as a false positive, please contact CamDawg via email at webmaster@gibberlings3.net. Thank you.

--G3 Spambot Countermeasures

Edit: P.S.: I don't think you voted. ;)

The High Hedge seems like a fair enough place to pick those up to me, though perhaps the sword might be better kept in the Cloakwood, or in the mine there (stripped from an investigating Harper?). If the blade is only +3 when outside at night (so pretty much on the wilderness maps and the BG streets), I think the limit to its utility is enough to allow it to be added at that stage of the game.

One other point on the idea of balance - how have you implemented the conditional +3, since, often when "nighttime" is implemented, it translates as "not sunlight" so dungeons, etc count, which would make it essentially +3, which would be overpowered for tutu.
It looks like yarpen has 2 different versions of the scimitar (+1 and +3). He has a script that seems to toggle between the two based on what time of day it is.

This is pretty intriguing, actually. @yarpen - what happens if, for example, it's night and the party goes indoors somewhere? I don't see a check in the script for that and, as you say, it should work only outdoors at night (since it derives its bonus from the moon/stars). P.S.: You also have infravision on the sword - you should change either the description or the effect to account for that. ;)

So far I have:

- Give the amulet to Kivan or Thalantyr at High Hedge (either would work - might be more economic to make the party pay for it rather than loot it off Kivan)

- Nerf the sword slightly (+1/+2 at night, saves +2 at night, lore +5?)

- Make it a bastard sword (as better scimitars are available early, whether the game designers intended it that way or not :D)

- Make the sword available in Cloakwood or Ulcaster (or perhaps Durlag's Tower, though, if nerfed, that's a bit late in the game for it)

Other ideas, suggestions, votes?

Archived