LOCALS in BG1

pro5

I think it does support area variables (although never used or only used once or twice), but I can't remember if it actually supports LOCALS. I doubt it, but you could either test it or look at the canonical effects list to see if the variable effect exists in BG or Tales.

LOCALS wasn't used until Icewind Dale came out. IN BG1 you will have to use GLOBAL.

My BG1 version contains LOCALS strings, therefore, i conclude, it allows LOCALS.

It is the tales of the sword coast version, of course :D

This might be only area locals, if creatures would have locals, they would need the 0xbb effect as DevSin said. Or these locals wouldn't be saved.

Area variables are used.

LOCALS variables work fine. Try adding the following two blocks to DPLAYER3.BCS if you want to see them in action: (but like Avenger said, and as far as I remember, they are not saved)

IF
Global("Kill","LOCALS",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	SetGlobal("Kill","LOCALS",1)
END

IF
Global("Kill","LOCALS",1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	Kill(Player1)
END

-Echon

hmmm... so LOCALS in BG1 are really aimed at scripting, while in BG2 they can be used as a localized version of GLOBAL. I know that a dialogue cannot use GLOBAL within itself (it sets it afterwards), but do LOCALS get set immediately so they can be useful, or is that only for scripting while the script is running?

cmorgan: i don't think locals and globals would work differently in this aspect.

And heh! I didn't expect locals really work (even if not saved), it was just a guess, hehe.

You can use not saving locals for a lot of scripting stuff. It is really good if they don't encumber the save file.

Probably i will need not saved locals in gemrb too (as an additional feature over saving locals).

Archived