4e in the works

CamDawg

Heh. That's... a first, I think :(.

As for the gnomes, WotC decided that they didn't have a clearly defined 'niche' (humans = versatility, dwarves = toughness, elves = nature/magic (they were split too)), and promptly re-engineered them. Rather than a modern version (the typical inventor gnome), they became a race of fae tricksters.

I myself follow this stuff at ENWorld, but its overview has long since become outdated (mostly because of the recent stream of info that's been released).

But yeah, what LadeJarl said. There's still some Kender in there (fearlessness), but the Halflings are culturally sort of river merchants now. IMO, an improvement over the gypsies from 3rd.

I personally like 3e because of the "liberty" you have in creating characters. A Fighter is not just someone who just "Levels up" a few times, but can actually have a lot of variaty. Same goes for the "Dual Classing for everyone (And all the normal classes for everyone)". Second edition is just much more restrictive.

Guest Guest
At least 4th edition has one good thing - Mystra got killed by Cyric :( .

Better would have been Cyric getting killed by Mystra. Cyric doesn't even qualify as a decent plot device for...well, anything.

It looks like they might finally kill off a couple of the Chosen of Mystra. Hopefully the seven Sues (with the possible exception of Laeral) will bite it. And tedious old lech Elminster. :D

I'm sure there'll be a new Mystra along shortly, there usually is :( (I quite liked the 3e incarnation - she was great in Prince of Lies, pity about the butchering of her character in pretty much every other FR novel.)

Elminster is alive, according to the last info, but with most of his super-powerful buddy spellcasters dead, his goddess dead, and the resulting Spellplague which ravaged every single magic-user on Faerun (I just can't wait for the clamor of complaints on that one)... he's not what he was. I can only cheer.

As for Mystra: I hope not. A good goddess of Magic just never made much sense to me (this from someone who made a NG Sorc/Cleric/MT of Mystra and still considers it one of his best chars ever).

Well, perhaps her counterpart form Mulhorand (assuming they still exist in 3E, I never checked) will slide across and pick up the mantle. Of course, She's good aligned too, as I recall.

Azuth might step in to calm things down too, unless he bought it somehow.

Archived