Level1NPCs Alpha Testing

cmorgan

Well, it never blanked out weapon descriptions, it just wasn't sucessful at updating descriptions for items that said "Only usable by: ..." some class rather than the customary "Not usable by: ...". So something has gone awry with your install ;)

If you're comfortable with opening the .tp2 with a text editor, you can try fixing this (Notepad is okay, if that's what you've got). Roundabout line 550 you'll see a section that looks like so:

PATCH_IF (("us" > 0x0) AND ("us" < 0x7fffffff)) THEN BEGIN
			//  SAY_EVALUATED 0x50  ~%ud%~
			END
			PATCH_IF (("is" > 0x0) AND ("is" < 0x7fffffff)) THEN BEGIN
			//  SAY_EVALUATED 0x54  ~%id%~
			END
		  END
		END
	  END
	BUT_ONLY
  END
END
 END
END

///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\
//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\
//																	\\
//   Aerie  Aerie  Aerie  Aerie  Aerie  Aerie  Aerie  Aerie  Aerie	\\
//																	\\
//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\//////\\\\\\
////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\////\\\\

The lines you're interested in are 551 and 553 with the pair of // SAY_EVALUATED patches - these are commented out with the double slashes at the moment so that the descriptions are recalculated and then not actually changed in the item files. What you can try doing is removing these backslashes (just delete them, the spacing of the line doesn't matter at all), saving the .tp2, uninstalling the first component, and then adding them back in at the same place and re-installing. That's actually all the modification I did to this portion myself. This shouldn't have been possible, but you seem to be getting all of the bad luck ;) Only try this if you didn't uninstall the previous version and simply overwrote what you had in your game folder with the revised (if you overwrote, your uninstall info will still be present in the backup folder and WeiDU will be able to undo its changes). If you did uninstall and reinstall already, then it's nothing this mod did.

Thanks again for your interest - alpha testing usually goes a bit (a lot!) more smoothly than what you're experiencing. If you'd rather wait for Beta I'll understand, but if you'd like to keep on, I'd be delighted to have any feedback you can proffer. It's actually in fairly good shape at the moment, appearances aside.

Guest kimmel

Hi-- In case this is helpful, I've just been installing the alpha 3 version of this mod (a GREAT idea, btw!), and have run across a few issues.

I have installed only a patched Bg2-TOB, Fixpack v2, and BGT1.04. Your mod loads up fine, and I can change kits for characters in Bg1 and 2.

I cannot, however, install bard kits.

also, when selecting weapon proficiencies, when I typed in a number it was always that number minus 1 that was selected. So if I wanted 112 Sword and Shield Style I would instead get a proficiency in 111 Two handed sword style. At times I got the number I typed, but more often I had this problem.

After making Kivan an archer I could not give him proficiency points in long bow.

these are just notes on installing; I have not tried to play the game yet.

Oh: is this mod supposed to affect PC creation in any way? Having the multi-class/kit ability for the PC would be fun. But might mess up Refinements HLAs (that could happen for NPCs, too, of course!)?

Guest kimmel

I just played the game briefly, and the changes made to Imoen worked well!

Here's the error I got installing bard kits, from the debug file (the same as the error I got when trying to give Eldoth and others bard kits; here I tried to make Ajantis a bard).

Not copying [hprog.2da] to [override/hprog.2da] because it did not change

[./override/mxsplbrd.2da] loaded, 1253 bytes

[./override/mxsplbrd.2da] loaded, 1253 bytes

[./override/ANIMATE.IDS] loaded, 8702 bytes

[ANIMATE.IDS] parsed

[./override/xplevel.2da] loaded, 5314 bytes

[./override/xplevel.2da] loaded, 5314 bytes

ERROR: [lvl1npcs/working/ajantis/AJANTI6.CRE] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

Stopping installation because of error.

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Ajantis Ilvastarr], rolling back to previous state

[lvl1npcs/backup/1218/UNSETSTR.1218] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

Will uninstall 0 files for [LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2] component 1218.

Uninstalled 0 files for [LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2] component 1218.

Thanks very much, I'll pin down the bard error today (judging from your debug it's an error writing from the bard spell per level table - and I bet I know what it is ;) )

I'm glad you like the idea.

It's not meant to do anything to the PC, no - the PC doesn't even exist, really, until you start a new game - and thereafter only exists in that save game. While it's possible to modify save games with a mod, it's not the best idea. It's possible to script something that allows the PC to pick a kit right after the game starts, though: this would be a fairly large addition, but I can consider it ;)

It's possible to script something that allows the PC to pick a kit right after the game starts, though: this would be a fairly large addition, but I can consider it ;)
That would be badass. Even if you could read from the 'characters' folder rather than messing with saved games. But don't mind me requesting additional fluff when there's still a working beta to get out. Sounds like my dreams of being a barbarian/thief multi won't work anyway due to the wacky HP tables. (Maybe a fighter/assassin instead...)

Characters folder: not a problem to implement, actually, as long as you don't mind a [Y]/[N] prompt for every .chr in the folder. I'd only write kit values here. It'll be slightly dangerous (if you make a character who's a wizardslayer, and then change them to a berserker, they'll keep their magic resistance and lose the drawbacks). Implementing something where I read out of the kit's .2da to ensure they have legal abilites only would require more time than I can really devote to it.

There's not really all that much left to do before beta, honestly, it's just tedious slogging through the code since there's so much of it.

If you want a barbarian/thief multi:

Make a fighter kit. Copy the Barbarian's clab abilities for your clab and add to that clab a spell at levels 1-9 that gives one extra hitpoint. Copy the fighter/thief high level abilites table. You're done ;)

Moratorium on testing the alpha, please - upon uninstallation it will delete files from your override (!)

Nasty little WeiDU bug there, I've coded the workaround, but I'll have to triple check everything before this goes beta...that's not even supposed to be possible ;)

Bard stuff not installing was due to one typo in a variable name about five thousand lines deep in one of the macros; it's fixed.

Guest kimmel

Nythrun--I'm glad to be of some help. Thanks for the quick responses and fixes!

Just a clarification about the weapons proficiency issue I raised, since my writing is not so great at that point in my earlier post: Most of the time, when assigning weapon proficiencies, regardless of the NPC or kit/class involved, when I typed the number for a proficiency and hit return, I ended up getting a "1" in the number typed minus one. At times, when typing numbers in the 90's, all worked as it ought. But always in the 100's, and often in the 90's, I had to type in the number I wanted plus one (eg, 101 to get 100 selected), to get the number I wanted. Hopefully that is clearer.

I'm looking forward to the beta--if you put it out somewhere easier to find, I bet you'll get a ton of hits (maybe especially from BGT players who cannot currently select kits for their BG1 NPCs).

Oh, and btw--your Readme was very entertaining!

More testing when I figure out why the guard scripts in Candlekeep are crashing bgmain.
Eh... why would this mod affect that?

Re: hosting, I'm sure Cam will put a page up once this goes beta. If not, I can host it on my server ;).

It's not this mod, it's just that I've never played Tutu at all before and after I've made it from the courtyard into Winthrop's the game has crashed three times already, once while selling an item and twice from the stupid trap scripts (act11 is calling a non-existent .cre, among other things)

It's bothersome ;)

Thanks for the offer though, it's appreciated. I think the mod's in good enough shape now for open beta - I should touch up the readme and try picking up a few more of the NPCs I've improved ruined tampered with, but it's looking okay.

Slow installing, but okay ;)

It's not this mod, it's just that I've never played Tutu at all before and after I've made it from the courtyard into Winthrop's the game has crashed three times already, once while selling an item and twice from the stupid trap scripts (act11 is calling a non-existent .cre, among other things)
Huh... the only crashes of that nature should be the elusive Bereghost (when entering or leaving that area) or possibly if you've installed TutuGUI and are clicking on empty container slots. Or possibly if you had a bunch of modded funk in your BG2 install prior to doing the Tutu conversion (it should be able to reference clean, unmodded, full installs of both BG1 and BG2). But I'm not saying it doesn't have bugs (though Macready might say that ;)). You are using EasyTutu right, not the deprecated (for English speakers) Tutu v4/v6?

Yup. But no time for games at the moment MODDING IS SERIOUS WORK ;)

Minor bugs are squelched, and we'll be ready for Beta as soon as WeiDU 199 is uploaded (I want MODDER flag!) I'm also about to go into another 12+ daily hours cycle at work, so timing is apt. If anyone has any minor requests, let me know now please, otherwise they'll be slow to implement.

Archived