Level1NPCs Alpha Testing

cmorgan

*bump*

I've hit a problem with Coran in my TUTU game, and cmorgan says it might be lvl1npc-related. From BG1 NPC Workroom:

Situation: party enters Cloakwood Forest I in Chapter 1(component "open Cloakwood I-IV" is installed), Coran is already dead on the bridge. Rechecked and reloaded: no change.

Since the new component, "open Cloakwood", is installed, I post it here as opposed to the general forum. If we discover UB or something else is at fault, I'll repost it there. Weidu.log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #2 // Additional Elminster Encounter

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #10 // Place Entar Silvershield in His Home

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Quoningar, the Cleric

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #13 // Shilo Chen and the Ogre-Magi

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #14 // Edie, the Merchant League Applicant

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Creature Corrections

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Creature Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #19 // Minor Dialogue Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #20 // Audio Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #22 // Item Corrections and Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #23 // Area Corrections and Restorations

~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #25 // Elven Charm and Sleep Racial Immunity

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications for v12 Beta4, pro5-3, March 10, 2007

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Edwin his BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #4 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #5 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #15 // The BG1 NPC Project: Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #25 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script.

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #26 // The BG1 NPC Project: Make Shar-Teel Unkillable until In Party

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #29 // The BG1 NPC Project: Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open four Cloakwood areas (everything but the Mines)

~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues

~XANBG2VOICE/SETUP-XANBG2VOICE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Xan's BG2 voice for BG1, v1

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Remove Helmet Animations

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1110 // Add Map Notes

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1150 // Shapeshifter Rebalancing

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grand Mastery (Baldurdash)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2220 // Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2230 // Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2231 // Description Updates for Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent Component

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not fight or complain about reputation) -> NPCs can be angry about reputation but never leave (Salk)

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Adjust Evil joinable NPC reaction rolls

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4050 // Change Jaheira to Neutral Good

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values

~SETUP-TUTUGUI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurs Gate I GUI for Tutu

~LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #0 // List party-joinable NPCs (required to install any other components)

~LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1218 // Ajantis Ilvastarr

~LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1235 // Xan

~LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1221 // Coran

~LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1222 // Dynaheir

~LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1206 // Imoen

~LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1207 // Jaheira

~LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2~ #0 #1228 // Kivan

cmorgan writes:

Third step, I put your save on my install with lots of mods. I opened up the save in DLTCEP, uncompressed it, and explored. Something has set his current and max HP to 0, in the actual game file.

Now, the only mod I know of that plays with HP is Nythrun's L1NPCs, but I am not sure here: he is registered as a Fighter Thief, animation 0x6101 fighter_male_elf, 0x31 chaotic_good, with two stat proficiencies of opcode 233 (undefined).

My bet here is that this is a call to Nythrun, to see what is going on here. It is possible that something got scrambled in the install, and Coran got written over even if you didn't change him; if that is the case, she will *definitely* want to know this!!!!! I know that with some of the really cool code she has built, it is pushing new boundaries. Some of these may be unexpeted ways in which the patching cannot be reversed - something she will definitely need to know.

(oh, and I have a save, too - if you need it)

Another question: I'm sorry if it's been mentioned before, but - does lvl1npc mod take care of their XP, too? Because, for example, Coran is 32000XP from the start, so next to my level 2 PC he is going to really stand out; and Jaheira, for example, can only have 161000/800000 in BG2, because her .cre files are made this way? A fix that brings all characters upon joining within PC's level of experience would be most, most welcome.

Ick, that's a stumper. I would have said the SCS/lvl1npcs compatability code isn't working, but you don't have that installed, and there's nothing else there that ought to be setting Coran to level zero (and thus having zero hitpoints).

I should have some free time for this mod today, so I'll see if I can come up with anything. Just setting both those numbers to eight ought to allow you to proceed.

233 is the correct opcode for weapon proficiencies, by the way :)

Right now the mod doesn't change anyone's experience total. Code could be added to either the joining dialogue file or the relevant area script to match the PC's total, and it's easy enough to write, but I'd have to be very, very careful to not break anything else. Let me browse some other mod's dialogue files and see if something presents itself.

After installing a select few NPC components, I decided to make an elven archer. Problem was, all the alignment choices were greyed out. The only difference in this installation from my others was this mod, and uninstalling it fixed the problem.

I also got this problem, just to reiterate - makes playing rather hard.

Yeah, I got this one. Thanks for the reminder though :) (the last version I uploaded changes the internal name of the archer kit from FERALAN to ARCHER, but didn't update the file that controls what alignments are allowed for starting PCs cause I forgot to. You'll get this with avengers and assassins too). My dumb error for uploading something dependant on changes I make locally.

I've got about a thousand more lines to rewrite, so I probably won't be able to get the release done today. We'll see.

/edit

A plague on autoinstallers! I can't even read the BGT documentation anymore. We'll have to guess the filenames now.

I can't find this zero hitpoint thing, and it's worrysome.

//edit

Still can't find it. I'll have to look again tomorrow.

Hey Nythrun, of Goddess of Fixpackers,

I have two saves, one from Kulyok with L1NPCs installed, and one from another player without. In Kulyok's it is 0 hp and 0 max hp for coran in the savegame; for the non-L1NPC game it is -2 hp Branwen with 0 hp max. UB and BG1 NPC installed, WeiDU log available - it might not be L1NPCs after all (but it is a deeper mystery. We don't touch either .cre hp, and we don't modify either Branwen's or coran's position in the file)...

both saves available if you PM me a valid private email, or I can post them on the internal site (and save Kulyok the email). Let me know what you want...

Me either. I can't think of any mod that would do this randomly... I'm lost. PM will be sent tonight (ETA about 2 hours, I would guess) - 2 separate saves, .rar format.

Well, both are using mods which copy and edit the .cres - perhaps something is off in the parsing? I am not sure how this could be; as I understand it, it would be highly unlikely that an offset being written to the wrong address by one byte would result in multiple state flags being messed with - it should simply corrupt the .cre, rendering it unusable.

Then again, I have to thing *really hard* and repeat things carefully in my head before even talking about state flags and offsets, so I am out ogf my depth here. I am just flailing around trying to figure out what could result in multiple state flags being set in a .cre from a set of mods that does not alter the state flags :) .

Well, the State Flags dword is just a number, like anything else in a binary file, so writing a number to 0x20 that was supposed to go elsewhere is a possible source for this. None of the mods in question do, which is the kicker.

It pretty much has to be a .cre alteration gone awry, though - status flags aren't stored in .are files and baldur.gam doesn't embed .cre files until a new game has started.

Old versions of WeiDU without bounds checking could occasionally produce this kind of result, but anything remotely new should just fail installation if a modder has miscoded something in this way.

I'll try some more proof-by-exhaustion techniques by installing BG1UB and Tutufix components and see if the problem emerges, but I've not been able to replicate this yet :)

hey - random thought - could running the .cre patching with an virus protection program in place do this? I have not been able to replicate the behavior, even with virus protection enabled, but perhaps...

and I rechecked the biggs code for editing the NPC positions and CamDawg's open Cloakwood areas used in BG1 NPC (which is kind of like having an undergraduate History TA proof your Theoretical Physics PhD thesis, but I had to try). I can see no way these two sets of code could result in an offset error; I certainly can't see how either one would damage only the one .cre file.

but you already said that. Just letting you know you are not out there alone (though your backup is the modding equivalent of a very determined guy with a 22c pistol and a Cessna, and what you probably would like is at least a squadron or two of F117's).

Archived