Level1NPCs Alpha Testing

cmorgan

Okies, I was hoping this would be the last beta, but there might need to be one more - I'm still very busy until Thursday, so I probably won't be able to get a new version uploaded until the weekend.

NPCs not loading until their component comes up - possible (it's more moving code around than it is rewriting code). It'll end up with more code total than there is now (as I'll have to find an alternate way to prevent absent NPCs from showing up on the selection list) but I'll think about it, it shouldn't be too onerous. I don't know exactly what .cre files to use even with Bioware only NPCs, mind - there's BGT renaming game resources to avoid conflict with NEJ which overwrites one BG2 Imoen with a miscoded version....

The various weapon restrictions removals are there mostly because someone may want to have them in game, but not have yet installed them - I can add additional options here, or present the existing ones differently. WeiGUI, unfortunately, isn't going to help at all here - every option has to be explictly defined and coded.

Not_found is use before definition with variables - I might have broken something for other classes while fixing the bardic stuffs. The other components shouldn't matter at all there.

Not adding memorized spells wasn't a bug. Do you really want another pair of selection menus? I can add this, but I'd thought there were tedious options aplenty.

Weapon addition can be pared down a bit (note: I have no way of telling which you like better when you pick proficiencies in multiple weapons, and "more powerful" is quite subjunctive subjective). Would a maximum of a single two handed weapon and a single one handed weapon suffice? I can take the add offhand weapon/shield code back out, also - no one has yet mentioned that they wanted it. The balance issues involved in a fighter having both a longsword and a dagger are not really apparent to me here, so I'm kind of guessing as to why you'd want this or consider it a problem.

If you hit [Q] and install didn't quit, it's nothing I've done or can fix. I'll see about replicating this, but if there's a bug there it's in a section of WeiDU that the Bigg won't have an easy time fixing. This concerns me more than everything else put together, frankly - the remainder stuff is last-minute cleanup and typo fix material, this is potentially "you can't mod this way" material. Since I can't replicate any problems with AC going weird either, this may take a moment.

Off to work, sorry :)

Okies, I was hoping this would be the last beta, but there might need to be one more - I'm still very busy until Thursday, so I probably won't be able to get a new version uploaded until the weekend.
Well, from my perspective at least, don't worry too much about that. I'm just helping to test and debug this sucker, in amongst all the other stuff I'm working on. I probably won't get the chance to actually *play* the mod until Gruumsh's second coming.
I don't know exactly what .cre files to use even with Bioware only NPCs, mind - there's BGT renaming game resources to avoid conflict with NEJ which overwrites one BG2 Imoen with a miscoded version...
We could probably get a list together for that. Certainly possible for Tutu (I think cmorgan may have even posted this already) and I think there's a list in the BGT documentation somewhere.
The various weapon restrictions removals are there mostly because someone may want to have them in game, but not have yet installed them - I can add additional options here, or present the existing ones differently. WeiGUI, unfortunately, isn't going to help at all here - every option has to be explictly defined and coded.
Eh... well I'm mainly concerned with not spamming the user with a buttload of questions just on account of my (or anyone else's) personal preferences. So a checkbox type of GUI would mitigate that somewhat. As far as code, can't you do something clever with passing variables to a macro/subroutine or some such?
Not adding memorized spells wasn't a bug. Do you really want another pair of selection menus? I can add this, but I'd thought there were tedious options aplenty.
Well... yeah, agreed (see comments above) and wasn't saying it was a bug either. But it looks like you're already automatically choosing "known" spells somehow, so why not automatically assign memorised spells while you're at it? This would make quite a difference for pure mages, as when you first pick them up they don't always get the chance to rest and memorise spells. As far as which spells they should get... I've always found Oogi to be a pretty good guide. But I'd be happy with even a random or arbitrary assignment (at least for initial memorised spells).
Weapon addition can be pared down a bit (note: I have no way of telling which you like better when you pick proficiencies in multiple weapons, and "more powerful" is quite subjunctive subjective). Would a maximum of a single two handed weapon and a single one handed weapon suffice?
I was thinking one melee and one ranged (if they have a proficiency for both). As for "most powerful" I was just thinking whatever dealt the most damage (either maximum or average). Though I would also be fine with whatever was assigned first, or even just picking one at random.
I can take the add offhand weapon/shield code back out, also - no one has yet mentioned that they wanted it.
Not sure which code you're talking about... don't think I was suggesting removing anything there. Maybe the code to give someone a shield if they assign a sword-and-shield proficiency is already there - if so, great.
The balance issues involved in a fighter having both a longsword and a dagger are not really apparent to me here, so I'm kind of guessing as to why you'd want this or consider it a problem.
That, in itself, isn't a balance issue. In theory, someone picking katana and two-handed sword and chainsaw and ending up with all those at level 1 is somewhat unbalancing, but folks who do that specifically to get a killer starting arsenal are going to figure out how to do that anyhow. I guess I was thinking more in lines of what BG1 NPCs have as starting equipment, which is pretty minimal (again, maybe one melee and one ranged weapon, if that).
If you hit [Q] and install didn't quit, it's nothing I've done or can fix. I'll see about replicating this, but if there's a bug there it's in a section of WeiDU that the Bigg won't have an easy time fixing.
Bad WeiDU! Actually, I was thinking the previous glitch with the berserker assignment to PCs is what threw this for a loop. But that's just idle speculation I guess. I'm just a barbarian... it's well beyond my skill to try to dig through your killer code or figure out how WeiDU is or isn't supposed to work.
Since I can't replicate any problems with AC going weird either, this may take a moment.
Eh... maybe I should've checked that too - didn't occur to me. Guess I'll look at it in the next berserker rampage test run.

At this point I'm more concerned with "Getting the gorram thing out the door so I can spend some time on projects I'm actually interested in", but if you'd like to pass that off as concern for the end user, I'll not fuss :)

I've got the list for BG1 (bought the game for a reason, and it wasn't because I have time to play it). BGT documentation is thorough, no problems there. We'll try it once the shorter way - I'll rip out most of the correction stuff too.

Checkboxes - would have to be recoded as a dozen components. I can pass variables, yeah, but passing them from component to component is a bad idea, so it'd end up as running through the item list and weapprof.2da twelve times instead of one. WeiGUI is in development to assist people who fear the Dos box, not to make modding easier ???

I'll add in the spell memorization, then, that's pretty trivial. Almost everyone will immediately level up and have empty spell slots, but choice isn't completely free. Magic Missile as gold dust at level one? Sleep as horse dung at level one? I'll be ignoring Oogi I think :love:

I suppose my point with items was that NPCs in general have the weapons they're proficient with (and in a few cases, have extras), and so giving them proficiencies without an accompanying weapon is itself a change.

Magic Missile as gold dust at level one? Sleep as horse dung at level one? I'll be ignoring Oogi I think :)
Yeah, that is one of the (perhaps few) objections I have to his categorisation. Though I would say MM is gold dust because it pretty much always hits, but sleep isn't exactly horse dung. Then again, I rarely bother with spells, preferring brute force, so I'm not really an expert :love:.
I suppose my point with items was that NPCs in general have the weapons they're proficient with (and in a few cases, have extras), and so giving them proficiencies without an accompanying weapon is itself a change.
Maybe BG1 is a bit different from BG2 in this respect. BG1 characters are rightfully paupers for the most part. But it's not a big deal if you don't want to change it - they're not getting magical weapons, after all.

Did you get the file link I PMed you so this can be hosted properly? ???

Guest Guest

Now this is interesting in an attempted install with nothing but the game

EasyTutu

A few components from the Tutu Fix pack

and Level 1 NPC's

I still couldn't make Safana a bard. I got the following error

ERROR installing [safana], roling back to previous state.

Will uninstall ...

Uninstall...

ERROR: Not found :)

And my modified characters still had weird ac Ajantis had an unarmored ac of 1, -5 armored, so it's doubtful that the problems are caused by any mod conflict. (Unless its the fixpack) . Could it be that Tutu installion is to blame somehow?

Okies.

Modding exported .chr files will have to go for the moment (it seems WeiDU isn't backing up all the READ_LN initialized variables separately - I'll have to think of another way to code this, but right now I've got nothing).

Ten, twelve more hours of transferring stuff from place to place and I'll be able to make sure nothing's been broken in the transfer.

/edit

While I take a short break:

The only thing I can think of that might have caused fubared ACs would have been the Alpha method of assigning weapon proficiencies to Tutu creatures - I should have checked, but it had simply never occurred to me that anyone would try to use the BG1 effect version in the BG2 engine. That's long since taken care of, but at this point your test install may be trashed if you'd used an early version. I apologize to anyone who has to do the reinstall dance as a result of this - it's one of the dangers of trying to mod for platforms one doesn't have.

Definately completely uninstall any old versions at this point :)

Weapon assignation has been completely recoded in a new, stingier form. It's still distantly possible that you might end up with one more weapon than an existing NPC had, but that would require making really horrible proficiency choices :love: More likely, you'll have the same amount of gear, or less.

Bards are working fine ???

Final beta sometime this weekend, we're on schedule.

// edit

Transfer complete, just have to rewrite the item description nonsense and verify that I've not ruined anything.

Guest Guest

A fresh install of, well everything, seems to have done the trick. :)

No installation problems, no more AC related weirdness, so far so good

Imoen's an Adventurer (didn't start with any weapons though - should she?)

Monty's an Assassin

Kivan's a Bowslinger (couldn't wear that nice place mail you'd provided) ...

Tried to make to Safana to see if she was now a bard, but with a low level party it was proving too difficult.

I'll keep you informed.

I'm glad to hear that's cleared up for you :)

ADD_MEMORIZED_SPELL doesn't take variables, so I'll have to macro the spells in the old fashioned way - that's written for everyone but sorcerers now :love:

I'll check out the Bowslinger - might be a mixup in ranger unusability flags, they shouldn't be getting plate at all ???

Have a problem changing Cernd to an Archer/Cleric:

Install Component [Cernd]?
[i]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? 
Installing [Cernd]
[baldur.ini] loaded, 3486 bytes
[baldur.ini] loaded, 3486 bytes
Checking for required files ...
[lvl1npcs/working/cernd/lvl1npcs.flag] found: 3 bytes

Select a class from the list below. Enter the class's number and press "Enter".
1  Mage
2  Fighter (includes Barbarian)
3  Cleric
4  Thief
5  Bard
6  Paladin
7  Fighter/Mage
8  Fighter/Cleric
9  Fighter/Thief
10 Fighter/Mage/Thief
11 Druid
12 Ranger
13 Mage/Thief
14 Cleric/Mage
15 Cleric/Thief
16 Fighter/Druid
17 Fighter/Mage/Cleric
18 Cleric/Ranger
19 Sorcerer
20 Monk
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[./override/kitlist.2da] loaded, 2490 bytes
Not copying [kitlist.2da] to [override/kitlist.2da] because it did not change

Select a kit from the list below, or enter 0 if you prefer No Kit/True Class.

0 None of these things interest me.

1 Archer

2 Stalker

3 Beast Master

4 Priest of Talos

5 Priest of Helm

6 Priest of Lathander

Not copying [haterace.2da] to [override/haterace.2da] because it did not change

Select a racial enemy from the list below.

0 nothing

123 Beholder

121 Demonic/Fell

146 Dragon

145 Elemental

107 Ettercap

120 Faerie

147 Genie

108 Ghoul

144 Golem

111 Hobgoblin

141 Imp

112 Kobold

135 Kuo-Toa

150 Lich

122 Lycanthrope

139 Mephit

124 Mind Flayer

113 Ogre

127 Otyugh

128 Rakshasa

131 Sahuagin

132 Shadow

119 Slime

116 Spider

129 Troll

130 Umber Hulk

125 Vampire

Not copying [skillrng.2da] to [override/skillrng.2da] because it did not change
[./override/weapprof.2da] loaded, 33038 bytes
ERROR: [weapprof.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Cernd], rolling back to previous state
[lvl1npcs/backup/1203/UNSETSTR.1203] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall   0 files for [LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2] component 1203.
Uninstalled      0 files for [LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2] component 1203.
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0  0 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0  1 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0  2 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0  3 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 100 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 101 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 102 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 103 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 104 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 105 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 106 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 107 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 108 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 109 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 110 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 111 Installed 
BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2  0 112 Installed 
VICCY/SETUP-VICCY.TP2  0  1 Installed 
LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2  0  0 Installed ~List party-joinable NPCs (required to install any other components)~
LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2  0  1 Installed ~Tweak weapon proficiencies for some classes (a la Ashes of Embers and aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing?~
LVL1NPCS/LVL1NPCS.TP2  0  2 Installed ~Add (possibly illegal and naughty) kits to exported characters~
ERROR: Not_found
PLEASE email the file SETUP-LVL1NPCS.DEBUG to Nythrun (nythrun@yahoo.com)
Using Language [English (it tastes like tea and crumpets)]
[English (it tastes like tea and crumpets)] has 1 top-level TRA files
[lvl1npcs/languages/english/setup.tra] parsed
[lvl1npcs/languages/english/setup.tra] has 178 translation strings

Install Component [Cernd]?
[i]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? 

OMG IMCOMPATBILE WITH TWIXPACK

This is either due to the evil mod-exported-characters component (it has to be curbstomped for the moment, at least until I can think of a completely different way to code it) or to the removal of the .2da pretty printing stuff for optimization - that part is back in, and ought to be (cross fingers) fully compatible with other mods that patch weapprof.2da.

Thanks for reporting - I'd not realized there was so much interest. I'll have the last beta up tonight or tomorrow, barring natural disaster or deific wrath :)

Thanks for reporting - I'd not realized there was so much interest. I'll have the last beta up tonight or tomorrow, barring natural disaster or deific wrath

Yay!

I think even more people would be interested - it's just since there isn't a forum, they do not know this little marvel exists. :)

Wow - thank you.

Ran a quick test run of the local Beta, everything looks okay, Cernd can be cleric/archered with or without other proficiency moddding mods. Bear in mind that Archers get no special bonus with slings, so this is a terrible, terrible multi-class unless you loosen the cleric restrictions :)

Just need to recode the item description updater and double check ranger armor, and it's good to go - shouldn't take more than eight hours or so.

I've been trying to be helpful and test this lovely mod out, but you've been updating so fast I'm always in the position of having things to say only when you're about to upload a new version! so I doubt these comments will be of any use, but nevertheless:

With BG2 and G3 fixpack installed I made Imoen a mage/thief (boring, I know), Jaheira a fighter/shapeshifter, and Minsc a cleric/beastmaster. Once I got them out of their cages (or they got me out of mine) they all seemed to work well, save in one respect. Their ACs did not change after I leveled them up. So initially their ACs were rather low, but after leveling up the ACs seemed fine (I'm not certain what they should have been exactly, but they were in the usual range). In the end, then, not a problem, but odd in execution.

Also, I kitted a couple of character export multiclasses, and they seemed to work well.

Thanks again for all your work!

Archived