BG1 NPCs in IWD

Kulyok

Is there a set date?

1281, but I don't see it as a major setback.

ohhh, is there any point?

None, of course. But since we're doomed in any case...

I don't think the game is completely hopeless - and it has 2D&D rules, which helps. I want to play with my BG series protagonist, because I like the background. And I want NPCs, but I don't want new ones. I want old universe and old friends. That's why.

I think it isn't impossible, but somebody will have to work really hard to implement it=). I mean, NPCs will have to be created practically from the start.

Domi did a grand job with IWD2 NPC, so the mechanism is more or less there.

As for the characters - say, I want a party with Xan, Kivan, Coran, Khalid and Jaheira. Or Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Ajantis and Branwen. I have cre files and soundsets. I need banters with PC(10,15,20 - depends) and NPC(2,3,5 - depends), interjections and - that's it! :( Ready and able.

It's possible. I considered that for IWD2, but felt it will be a sell out in favor of 'more of the same' and killing the whole idea of playing the new game. But I am sure it will be all popular and all that.

That's said, I don't know how IWD1 is structured for coding, ut its closeness to BG1 may result in it having the same inherent lack of everything as vanilla BG1 has.

I like the idea, very much. If I could re-play IWD with the NPC from BG1, I would do it in a heartbeat. I first passed BG1 with Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Branwen and Ajantis (a team Kulyok mentioned, even! :( ) and I wouldn't mind all of them back for IWD. I downloaded the BG2 soundsets for IWDII just to have some connection to the BG2 game, so NPCs for IWD would be even better.

Don't remember which year, but the manual says something about it being 30 years something before Drizzts arrival in IWD.

Would all of the NPC's be in Easthaven, Kuldahar, or could you choose a team of them from the beginning?

Wish I could add some help to this, but with my sound options, it would probably be more of a bother than actually help.

Are anyone going to work on this?

The most important part is getting NPCs into a game, and getting them to talk(and figuring out how to do it is the main thing, I believe). After that, it should be straightforward. I coded a little for plain BG1 - Xan Friendship, so I think it has everything for my rather simple goals.

I think I've got IWD with expansions somewhere at home - and since I deleted NWN2, I should have enough space. I might check it out next week.

Of course, I'm only one person. While I certainly would like to write something for Xan, I am not at all sure I can do a massive mod all on my own, were it possible. Not because there's a lot of material, but because sometimes diversity is essential. But we shall see.

(Incidentally, what's funny, nobody in my memory ever suggested a NPC mod for PS:T).

Guest jastey*

Although I think the idea is very appealing, and it would make perfectly sense if assumed to happen directly after BG1 (party goes for more adventuring after they worked together so well in BG1), actually giving such a mod a life is a very complicated task imho.

I got a headache over how to write the PC-dialogues for BGII if assuming there was / was not / was maybe a romance in BG1. Now, it's the same: Do you want the NPCs to reflect everything that happened in BG1, especially the romances?

OK, maybe it wouldn't be so complicated after all, only more work to be done. The player could choose from the start which NPC the PC was romancing in BG1 and the IWD track would start from there, or something like that.

I definitely wouldn't like to have an Ajantis in IWD that suffers from a sudden memory loss concerning his former relationship towards the PC. (And no, I don't have time to write for this mod, unfortunately.)

Although I have to admit, writing some x Ajantis LTs for this mod feels more tempting than writing an Ajantis BG1 friendship. :(

I got a headache over how to write the PC-dialogues for BGII if assuming there was / was not / was maybe a romance in BG1. Now, it's the same: Do you want the NPCs to reflect everything that happened in BG1, especially the romances?

Another thing is that it also have to fit with BG2 and not run ahead of its material. And not duplicate it, because just how many banters about all the same by the same characters... Meh.

Archived