Concerning Hobbits.

LadeJarl

Yes, we mourned through the morning already. Horrible, horrible news. First the news that Yates will be around to cripple both Potter Seven movies, and now - Hobbit will be spoiled! I thought Pan's Labyrinth was quite enough, thank you.

Oh dear.

There will be to movies: One based on the book, and one that bridges The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

I loved Pan's Labirinth, but what is it exactly that is going to bridge Hobbit and the LotR? Fanfiction? Or yet another account magically derived from that never-depleting underground stack of Tolkien's papers his family milks every other decade or so?

Some sort of artificial bridge to connect the two stories. Probably some miscellaneous adventure or a movie about the return of Sauron (who was just creeping up at the end of the Hobbit IIRC). Maybe we'll get to see good-guy Saruman.

This could have turned out much, much worse. At least now we're assured that there are going to be some pretty funk-ass makeup effects/costumes (I too liked Pan's Labyrinth, and the new Hellboy looks to have some wicked creatures).

Agreed, it would be better if Jackson was directing. Let's hope del Toro doesn't have Lucas syndrome and insist on everything being CGI...

And there is a lot of material in LotR itself, in addition to some other published stuff I've read that could be used to bridge the two films, so we're on mildly safe ground there. Not to say they can't or won't mess that up completely...

I don't care, as long as the movie is made. I suffered through Rankin Bass and Ralph Bakshi, because there was nothing else. I'm prepared to just go see it. After all, when I heard that Peter Jackson, of Braindead infamy, was to direct the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I was prepared to be completely disappointed, and I liked it just fine, despite the differences from the book.

Agreed, it would be better if Jackson was directing. Let's hope del Toro doesn't have Lucas syndrome and insist on everything being CGI...
Yeah, but if Weta does the effects, I don't think it would be a total loss. del Toro is actually a fairly good director (the couple I've seen in Spanish, although his choice of past English projects probably doesn't thrill everyone), and he does concentrate a lot on live action these days (environments and makeup effects).

After all, when I heard that Peter Jackson, of Braindead infamy, was to direct the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I was prepared to be completely disappointed, and I liked it just fine, despite the differences from the book.
That's the one with lawnmower, right? (It has an alternate title that I can't remember right now.) BEST MOVIE EVER.

I was more concerned from the Frighteners, but the lesbian Aussie flick was fairly competent (and it was interesting to see the slight growth but largely identical style in his direction from those to LotR).

:( I thought Jackson got a little too happy with the CGI in spots. Return of the King was probably the worst (termite ghosts, orcs horde encircling the good guy host at the end, etc.,.). Most any of the large battle scenes throughout the trilogy were a bit iffy.

That's the one with lawnmower, right? (It has an alternate title that I can't remember right now.) BEST MOVIE EVER.

The US title was Dead Alive.

Over 300 liters of fake blood were used for the final scene. That's still the record. :(

Yeah, but if Weta does the effects, I don't think it would be a total loss. del Toro is actually a fairly good director (the couple I've seen in Spanish, although his choice of past English projects probably doesn't thrill everyone), and he does concentrate a lot on live action these days (environments and makeup effects).

Well, that and not totally mangling the story to "modernise" it are about all I ask for, everything else is gravy.

:( I thought Jackson got a little too happy with the CGI in spots. Return of the King was probably the worst (termite ghosts, orcs horde encircling the good guy host at the end, etc.,.). Most any of the large battle scenes throughout the trilogy were a bit iffy.

I'll admit Jackson did get a little psycho with the scale of the CGI (especially with the legion of the dead), but at least he had the decency to make sure things in the fore- to midground were practical effects, rather than making every damn clone trooper painted in on the green screen. Close in CGI (especially on something completely white) isn't that good yet that it's as good as, or better than a dude in plastic.

Archived