Feedback

Mike1072

Well, the "deplete spell protections" thing is quite a point indeed.

Draining those with magical abilities is quite cool, but maybe not in this weapon. ^^ I'd even see a sword which has magical effect without effect with exception of draining 3-5 levels from Spell Deflection/turning spells. ^^.

Aslyferund Elven Chain +5

Imo this armor remain a bit problematic. Immunity to nomal weapons is of course very powerfull on the paper but in ToB, it is obviously useless for 40 000 gold.

Personally I would add something like maybe 5 or 10% RM.

Imo this armor remain a bit problematic. Immunity to nomal weapons is of course very powerfull on the paper but in ToB, it is obviously useless for 40 000 gold.
And then you face a summoner legion that casts summon monster I, and you notice that it perhaps was better idea to keep the Immunity to Normal Weapons... when you resurrect Imoen the 10th time, after the hasted goblins swarmed you, again, and the +10% magic resistance did nothing to help you.

Aslyferund Elven Chain

Its main use within ToB would be to let bards have "complete immunity to weapons" by covering the only weakness of PfMW, and even mages can exploit it the same way with great effect...on paper. Unfortunately afaik only RR's AI properly counter PfMW with non magical weapons (SCS may do it to a lesser extent, but I'm not sure - does it David?).

Anyway, even if we consider such great ability mostly "cosmetic" due to game limitations we're still talking about a heavily enchanted chain mail (+5 is the highest value within IR, and AC 0 beats by 3 points the best Bracers of Armor), which not only allows spellcasting but even improves it! Thus we surely agree this is still an outstanding suit of armor, if not the best one.

On the other hand, I may agree 40k gp is a really high request considering PfNW's appeal is low (and that damn hell trial's reward almost deprecates it) and +1 AC is good but not impressive for a Blade or a F-M. We discussed with Ardanis about "fixing" a bunch of Cespenar's requests to upgrade items (some are too high, but others are too low imo), but for now we limited ourselves.

Personally I would add something like maybe 5 or 10% RM.
I'm forcing myself to limit MR and Regeneration bonuses because they were starting to be really too common, while they are supposed to be very rare and highly valued effects.

would you consider making the weapon/armor/shield changes a separate component, or rather, with so many optional parts dealing with those 3 item types already, to go ahead and separate out things like amulets and rings so that people that want the flavor of IR don't have to eat the entire feast?

Even though we discussed about x-bows and bows before, I felt that x-bows still need to be improved slightly.

X-bows give +1 TACH0 bonus, and bows give +1/2apr now. While these might look like an equal factor, we should consider the additional difference, which is the number of type between Bolts and Arrows. Since Arrows have much more types than Bolts it can assume bows have more advantage compared with x-bows.

Furthermore, when we assume wielder's all of attacks hit a target successfully, it is obvious that bows inflict more damage than x-bows (bows: avg 10.5 dmg , x-bows: avg 9 dmg during 2 rounds in case of + weapon proficiency). Generally this gap is getting more and more when wielder uses high enhancement bows/x-bows (When wielder uses +5 bows/x-bows these deal 25.5 dmg during 2 rounds, and in case of x-bows these deal 19 dmg during 2 rounds).

Regardless of points of weapon proficiency, bows deal more damage than x-bows in this case. I know this assumption is not realistic, however, I think that the +1 THAC0 bonus of x-bows is not sufficient to make x-bows as attractive as bows.

To make a long story short, I want to suggest increasing damage of x-bows from 1D8 to 2D4 or 1D10 (though this was rejected in the past discussion). or, How about give +5% critical hit bonus to x-bows? Increasing TACH0 bonus is also good way I think.

To make a long story short, I want to suggest increasing damage of x-bows from 1D8 to 2D4 or 1D10 (though this was rejected in the past discussion). or, How about give +5% critical hit bonus to x-bows? Increasing TACH0 bonus is also good way I think.
To make a long reply short I can say that V3's xbows have 1d10 base damage as discussed here and here. :) Bows have +1/2 apr, xbows have +1 to hit and +2 to damage.

P.S I do proposed a +5% critical hit bonus but for some reason we discarded it, I'll try to look into it as soon as I have some more time (it took ages to reply on SR's feedback from a guest). Granting +2 bonus to hit instead seemed strange to me simply because at low lvls it would make too much of a difference imo (e.g. 1st lvl thief proficient with xbows would be more accurate than a ranger specialized in bows).

To make a long reply short I can say that V3's xbows have 1d10 base damage as discussed here and here. :) Bows have +1/2 apr, xbows have +1 to hit and +2 to damage.

P.S I do proposed a +5% critical hit bonus but for some reason we discarded it, I'll try to look into it as soon as I have some more time (it took ages to reply on SR's feedback from a guest). Granting +2 bonus to hit instead seemed strange to me simply because at low lvls it would make too much of a difference imo (e.g. 1st lvl thief proficient with xbows would be more accurate than a ranger specialized in bows).

I just thought the change which increases x-bows' damage was canceled because details of IRv3 didn't mention about this. :)

Thanks for your kind reply.

Demi and I once had a long debate over Xbow vs Bow thing. If memory serves, the conclusion was:

- xbows are generally more powerful than bows and are easier to use

- bows are difficult to handle, but with sufficient skill they totally outshine their cousin

So a bow has greater apr, which multiplies damage bonuses from grandmastery, while xbow are better in untrained hands such as those of a rogue.

Guest Thailog

Hi again.

During my BG2 run, I've used this mod too, so I thought I'd drop in and leave some comments here as well.

Things I liked:

- Keldorn's sword is now much more fitting to his kit. Silencing the target seems very appropriate for an Inquisitor. One small suggestion, it would be nice if the silence effect could have some sort of visual animation when it triggers, like the spell does. It's too hard to tedious to check if someone was silenced by constantly looking at the combat log.

- 2H swords doing 2d6 damage is very nice. I always thought that they were underpowered in the original game due to the dual-wielding craze.

- Speaking of which, the revised dual-wielding component rocks. Finally, it makes sense to use light weapons for dual-wielding and not pair up a flail with a bastard sword. Cool stuff.

- Orbiting Ioun Stone animations. Not sure if this is because of 1PP or Item Revisions, but it's very, very cool either way.

- Much nicer item colors visible on character avatars. You can literally see that someone went through most items and recolored them by hand to better fit their inventory icons.

- Halberds can slash component is a very nice addition. About time someone fixed that.

- Thrown daggers can finally be dual-wielded in their melee form. Great idea, excellent implementation.

Some suggestions:

- Just a thought, but it might be nicer if the Ring of Regeneration had a unique inventory icon. Right now, it can easily be mistaken for a plain jade ring and could accidentally be discarded as a worthless trinket when the party is looting it from an enemy. Also, for some reason it no longer shows the "Regeneration" icon on the character's portrait. This is uncool because people usually always transfer the ring to the party member who is currently injured, so it's good to have a way to easily tell which character is wearing the ring by simply looking at the portraits.

- Would it be possible to add an option to wield Bastard Swords and Katanas two handed? The damage can stay the same, but maybe the speed factor could increase by 1-2 points in that mode.

Possible bugs

Ashen Scales armor has an undocumented dexterity and movement rate penalty, even though I didn't install the "penalties in heavy armor" component.

P.S.

I just noticed the V3 thread, and I really like most of the proposed changes there. Nice work!

During my BG2 run, I've used this mod too, so I thought I'd drop in and leave some comments here as well.
You're welcome.

- 2H swords doing 2d6 damage is very nice. I always thought that they were underpowered in the original game due to the dual-wielding craze.

- Speaking of which, the revised dual-wielding component rocks. Finally, it makes sense to use light weapons for dual-wielding and not pair up a flail with a bastard sword. Cool stuff.

- Halberds can slash component is a very nice addition. About time someone fixed that.

- Thrown daggers can finally be dual-wielded in their melee form. Great idea, excellent implementation.

:)

- Keldorn's sword is now much more fitting to his kit. Silencing the target seems very appropriate for an Inquisitor. One small suggestion, it would be nice if the silence effect could have some sort of visual animation when it triggers, like the spell does. It's too hard to tedious to check if someone was silenced by constantly looking at the combat log.
I suppose I can add a minimalist visual effect.

- Orbiting Ioun Stone animations. Not sure if this is because of 1PP or Item Revisions, but it's very, very cool either way.
Afaik 1PP does nothing to ioun stones, those you see should be IR's ones, which use WoRm's cool animations.

- Much nicer item colors visible on character avatars. You can literally see that someone went through most items and recolored them by hand to better fit their inventory icons.
You make me happy. :) You can't imagine how much time it took to do this, and I'm glad it didn't go completely unnoticed. I've worked again on this for V3, and many items are much refined imo.

- Just a thought, but it might be nicer if the Ring of Regeneration had a unique inventory icon. Right now, it can easily be mistaken for a plain jade ring and could accidentally be discarded as a worthless trinket when the party is looting it from an enemy. Also, for some reason it no longer shows the "Regeneration" icon on the character's portrait. This is uncool because people usually always transfer the ring to the party member who is currently injured, so it's good to have a way to easily tell which character is wearing the ring by simply looking at the portraits.
I've assigned it a normal jade ring's icon simply because vanilla's background says "Within the hollow cavity of the jade ring floats the ichor and brains of a troll", and because I wanted it to not share the icon with the Ring of Human Influence. You really shouldn't confuse it with a normal ring simply because it's unidentified when you get it, unlike the normal jade ring, but I'll see if I can find a better solution.

The whole "portrait icons" thing was discussed A LOT ages ago, long story short I won't restore them sorry. Within V3 I've instead added portrait icons whenever the item's effect perfectly match and doesn't stack with an existing spell.

- Would it be possible to add an option to wield Bastard Swords and Katanas two handed? The damage can stay the same, but maybe the speed factor could increase by 1-2 points in that mode.
If Mike is interested I have nothing against it, though it would be a duplicate of an existing TweakPack's component. We generally don't duplicate existing tweaks unless we handle them in a different way, or we need them for another part of the mod to work.

Ashen Scales armor has an undocumented dexterity and movement rate penalty, even though I didn't install the "penalties in heavy armor" component.
Yep, it has been recently reported, it probably is because of me using the wrong itm file. It's fixed for V3.

I just noticed the V3 thread, and I really like most of the proposed changes there. Nice work!
Thanks, I'm really satisfied with the current V3 yes. I'm eager to release it but there's always something delaying it damn. :goodwork:
Guest Thailog
The whole "portrait icons" thing was discussed A LOT ages ago, long story short I won't restore them sorry. Within V3 I've instead added portrait icons whenever the item's effect perfectly match and doesn't stack with an existing spell.

Hm, in this particular case, I don't think that would cause any confusion.

As far as I can tell, you are using a different portrait icon for the Regeneration spell in SR (looks like a human body) from the one which was used by the Ring of Regeneration in the original game (blue circle).

Archived