SR V2.9

Demivrgvs

Power Word Sleep

Currently works only against targets with less than 20 hit points. What about changing it to "allow a save only if the target has more than 20hp"?

Yes please!

Dimension Door

It was already included in V1 though "hidden", would you want to reintroduce it? In that case I think a small improvement would be required to make it appealing as a 4th level spell. Instead of "teleporting" the caster once, it may allow a "jump" each round for x rounds.

The reason this didn't make it into BG2 was something like it was gamebreaking, what about that?

A jump for some rounds sounds good imo.

Oracle

Leave it as is.

Dimension Door is game breaking only for newbies who might click and reach some areas that are supposed to be unreachable, I guess everybody here played this game at least 50 times once and knows how to avoid breaking the plot ( or just ctrl+J back to the starting location, or use a earlier save if you accidentally screw things badly, but that shoudn't happen ).

E.g. you could use farsight to gain vision of a unaccessible area like the drow eggs room and teleport inside, or skip half of a dungeon teleporting near the end, but just because you can it doesn't mean you shall do it.

Experienced players like the ones who install mods aren't going to purposely break the game ( well, maybe for fun :worship: but not a DD issue here )

That being said, is jumping with DD going to need a full action and prevent further spell casting ( making the spell a bit sad ) or it's supposed to be a free action between every spell ( better, not really overpowered because you could just run around hasted but it makes for some fun hit and hide tactics with wizard eye, summons, other party members )?

Dimension Door

I would leave it out for there is no real need for this spell, also considering that you would even want to tweak it to do something different.

Removing the suck from the vanilla game is good, to add to it is not... :worship:

These probably are the last spells I have to do...

Polymorph Other

To make it more balanced I propose the following solution which also allow me to avoid having to spend too much time on it.

Target's saving throw is based on its level:

- creatures with less than 8 HD/level save at -3 penalty (as all creatures do in V2)

- creatures with "8 < HD/level < 15" save at no penalty/bonus

- creatures with more than 15 HD/levels save at +3 bonus (all creatures save at +2 bonus in vanilla)

The 5th level version used by druids will use -4, 0, and +2 penalty/bonus respectively.

Deal?

Shadow Door

I think I've mentioned it before, but now I've tried to do it and found out that's doable without too much efforts. In PnP those near the caster may be fooled to follow him "inside" the door, which then trap them in a dimensional room for a limited time.

In-game that is implementable as follow:

- a new animation which effectively shows an illusionary door (I think I took it from IWD)

- a very small party-friendly AoE maze (I'd say 6 feet radius), a save vs. spell at -4 negates the effect

- creatures are trapped for up to 4 rounds, but may escape in 1-3 rounds depending on their intelligence score (maze is "cured" on the 4th round no matter the creature's INT bonus)

- just to add some flavour I'd make creatures with an ongoing True Seeing spell immune to this effect

What do you think?

Blade Barrier

I've already done and implemented this change for balance purposes: the barrier now hits once every 3 seconds (instead of each second like in V2) inflicting 3d6 points of damage (instead of 1d6). It still hits twice as often as vanilla's version, but it should be less overpowering, and it also still has a quite noticeable advantage over vanilla which is being party-friendly (AI's version already was).

Globe of Blades

I've already done and implemented this change for balance purposes: the barrier now hits once every 2 seconds (instead of each second like in V2) inflicting 2d10 points of damage (instead of 1d10).

Dolorous Decay

I'm still not too satisfied, but I wouldn't delay V3 for it either anymore.

"This spell affects a single living creature. Dolorous Decay is a rotting and withering of the body that spreads throughout the afflicted creature quickly. The disease will instantly cause a permanent -1 penalty to strength, dexterity, and constitution. If the target fails a saving throw vs. poison at -5, the dacay will inflict 1 point of damage per second, until a total of 60 hit points of damage are inflicted, and another point of damage to each physical attribute every 5 rounds. The afflicted creature will also be slowed for the duration of the decay, and ability scores lost with this spell can only be restored with a Cure Disease, or a Heal spell."

These probably are the last spells I have to do...

Polymorph Other

To make it more balanced I propose the following solution which also allow me to avoid having to spend too much time on it.

Target's saving throw is based on its level:

- creatures with less than 8 HD/level save at -3 penalty (as all creatures do in V2)

- creatures with "8 < HD/level < 15" save at no penalty/bonus

- creatures with more than 15 HD/levels save at +3 bonus (all creatures save at +2 bonus in vanilla)

The 5th level version used by druids will use -4, 0, and +2 penalty/bonus respectively.

Deal?

Great

Shadow Door

I think I've mentioned it before, but now I've tried to do it and found out that's doable without too much efforts. In PnP those near the caster may be fooled to follow him "inside" the door, which then trap them in a dimensional room for a limited time.

In-game that is implementable as follow:

- a new animation which effectively shows an illusionary door (I think I took it from IWD)

- a very small party-friendly AoE maze (I'd say 6 feet radius), a save vs. spell at -4 negates the effect

- creatures are trapped for up to 4 rounds, but may escape in 1-3 rounds depending on their intelligence score (maze is "cured" on the 4th round no matter the creature's INT bonus)

- just to add some flavour I'd make creatures with an ongoing True Seeing spell immune to this effect

What do you think?

Hey that sounds like a good solution!

Blade Barrier

I've already done and implemented this change for balance purposes: the barrier now hits once every 3 seconds (instead of each second like in V2) inflicting 3d6 points of damage (instead of 1d6). It still hits twice as often as vanilla's version, but it should be less overpowering, and it also still has a quite noticeable advantage over vanilla which is being party-friendly (AI's version already was).

:worship:

Globe of Blades

I've already done and implemented this change for balance purposes: the barrier now hits once every 2 seconds (instead of each second like in V2) inflicting 2d10 points of damage (instead of 1d10).

Also fine!

Dolorous Decay

"This spell affects a single living creature. Dolorous Decay is a rotting and withering of the body that spreads throughout the afflicted creature quickly. The disease will instantly cause a permanent -1 penalty to strength, dexterity, and constitution. If the target fails a saving throw vs. poison at -5, the dacay will inflict 1 point of damage per second, until a total of 60 hit points of damage are inflicted, and another point of damage to each physical attribute every 5 rounds. The afflicted creature will also be slowed for the duration of the decay, and ability scores lost with this spell can only be restored with a Cure Disease, or a Heal spell."

hmmm to me it doesn't sound bad at all...

What did you do with sleep?

Cheers and happy modding :p

Shadow Door: cool, and it shoudn't affect creatures with permanent TS ( liches, dragons, many fiends... ) as well. This spell and prismatic spray are taking out lot of usefulness from the level 8 maze spell btw; they do allow a save, and the effect is limited/random but it can affect multiple creatures too. I suggest a limited revamp of the original Maze making it bypass mr.

Nothing to say about the other spells, they look good. What are the squirrel stats/abilities/spellcasting limitation?

Polymorph Other

Deal?

Shadow Door

What do you think?

Support, support... support socks. :p And the Shadow Door does still make the caster invisible, right?

Dolorous Decay

Ah, but what about restoration spells? :worship:

Power Word Sleep

You mean Power Word Sleep? I was forgetting about it! (still inside me I don't like too much to add a save to a Power Word spell...but I think this spell is incredibly useless without it)

Shadow Door

Cool, and it shoudn't affect creatures with permanent TS ( liches, dragons, many fiends... ) as well. This spell and prismatic spray are taking out lot of usefulness from the level 8 maze spell btw; they do allow a save, and the effect is limited/random but it can affect multiple creatures too. I suggest a limited revamp of the original Maze making it bypass mr.
You're right, I'll make liches, dragons and fiends immune to it.

Regarding Maze vs. Shadow Door's maze effect

- SD has no range at all while Maze has some range (though short, should I increase it?)

- SD doesn't affect many type of creatures which Maze can (as it's not an illusion)

- SD's maze effect has a short duration while Maze lasts a lot more against creatures with INT < 19

- SD allow a save while Maze doesn't (and in BG2 creatures tend to have quite good saves vs. spell, especially in ToB)

Regarding Maze vs. Prismatic Spray

- PS's chance to cause a maze effect is 1/7

- PS's maze effect allow a save

- PS is not party friendly

- PS's AoE may be avoided

The only real advantage of SD and PS is the ability to affect multiple targets, but in one case the caster must find himself surrounded by melee opponents, in the other it may risk to affect allies or miss the target (the latter being very rare though).

That being said...I may think about your suggestion, but I do fear that it would become too appealing compared to Imprisonment.

Support, support... support socks. :p And the Shadow Door does still make the caster invisible, right?
Yeah...improved invisibility effect is still there.

Polymorph Other/Baleful Polymorph

Nothing to say about the other spells, they look good. What are the squirrel stats/abilities/spellcasting limitation?
STR, DEX, and CON are set to 3, apr to 1, damage to 1d2, attacks are considered unenchanted, cannot cast spells. I had to leave innates untouched for now, still this spell makes an affected target completely useless in battle.

Dolorous Decay

Ah, but what about restoration spells? :worship:
You're right, a Greater Restoration works as well...but a Lesser Restoration doesn't.
Nah I meant level 1 sleep (untouched at your frontpage ;) )
Have we ever discussed about changing it again? :p Isn't V2's version more than enough?

Power Word Sleep

Currently works only against targets with less than 20 hit points. What about changing it to "allow a save only if the target has more than 20hp"?

Yes please!

:worship: Dooh!! it was Power word... I even had written about that this morning... Totally forgot about that

Please proceed finishing this mod without any interruptions from me :p

Power Word Sleep
You mean Power Word Sleep? I was forgetting about it! (still inside me I don't like too much to add a save to a Power Word spell...but I think this spell is incredibly useless without it)

Please don't!

It's a trademark of the Power Word the fact that no save is allowed!

It'd be really bad to add it. I'd rather see it gone from the mage book...

Power Word Sleep

Please don't!

Oh noes, who cares if the spell can actually be used, the game is ruined if a pw gets a save! :worship:

PW:Sleep is still going to not allow a save against <20hp creatures.

Power Word Sleep

Please don't!

Oh noes, who cares if the spell can actually be used, the game is ruined if a pw gets a save! :p

PW:Sleep is still going to not allow a save against <20hp creatures.

I'm with Raj :worship:

Archived