SR V2.9

Demivrgvs

Freedom

Well, I preferred the original version which includes also the protection.

What we might do is to have the protection last a short period (like 5 rounds). If such period should or not be made scalable, it's something that might be discussed.

I think the problem highlighted by DavidW would persist. :worship:

Anyway, I've thought about it a little more and the curing effects alone should be quite great. Some effects like charm, confusion and unconsciousness aren't generally "curable" in any way. They would require a Dispel Magic, which 1) not always works and 2) may dispel you party's buffs. Feeblemind would require a Dispel Magic or a 6th level Heal (or a Cure Disease with SR), Petrification would require a 6th level spell, and there's no other way to "cure" Maze/Imprisonment effect.

Flame Arrow

If the caster is against one opponent only, are all arrows going to hit the same target? If the caster is level 20 and fights more than one but less than 5 opponents, how are the arrows distributed and in which order, if any, targets get hit by more than one arrow? :p
Every arrow except the first strikes a random enemy within range, if there's only one enemy all arrows strike the same target (note: eventually destroying multiple mirror images, and being quite effective against magic resistance). If there are two opponents I don't know, it's random, thus it may happen all arrows strike the first target anyway! :p

(Improved) Mantle & Absolute Immunity

What are the new durations for (improved)mantle/absolute immunity spells? I remember talking about 5-6-7 rounds but the first post doesn't list them. SCS2 never uses those spells so I guess there's some freedom about their implementation.
I never received much feedback on this suggestion of mine. I guess most players would welcome it, am I wrong?

But what about DavidW and aVENGER? What do you think about it? And how would your AI handle it?

Haste and Improved Haste

I ran into this just once again and decided to give it a talk. They protect from each other. I can see definitely how it may benefit a character with Imp H not being overwritten by the generic one, but the reverse is rather an annoying obstacle. I would opt for disabling these immunities. It's a pure bonus when IH is casted after H, and should I diminish extra attacks to +1 then, well, at least that's fair. Hm?
I'll look into it. Improved haste protecting from normal Haste may prevent the latter to "nerf" the former, but I don't know how multiple haste effects are handled by the engine.
I don't know how multiple haste effects are handled by the engine.
Only the latestly applied haste effect works, any previous one is negated. If the former's duration is longer than new's (take Oil of Speed) then once the latter H wears off previous effect takes a place back.

A few more progress this morning.

Chromatic Orb

I know I never talked about it...but I partially fixed an issue with multiple orbs being fired. Damage from multiple orbs was stacking, making this spell incredibly powerful at low levels. Furthermore, I've refined it to tie the damage to caster's level, as 1d8 was really too much at low levels (at 1st lvl this spell dealt more damage than Magic Missile plus the white color's effect) and slightly too little at high levels. Thus, this is how it currently look like:

"The sphere inflicts magic damage, along with different effects depending on its color. The sphere's damage depend on the caster level, as well as the variety of colors. The orb is occasionally even multicolored, causing multiple effects. The victim can save vs. spell against all special effects but gets no save against the damage. All special effects last for 5 rounds.

1st level: 1d3 damage - White - Light (Saving Throws: -4)

2nd level: 1d4 damage - Aquamarine - Magnetism (AC: -4)

4th level: 1d6 damage - Red - Pain (-1 to Strength, and Dexterity)

6th level: 1d8 damage - Green - Poison (2hp/round)

8th level: 1d10 damage - Yellow - Blindness

10th level: 2d6 damage - Violet - Slow

12th level: 2d8 damage - Blue - Paralysis"

Sphere of Chaos

I just discovered it wasn't party friendly, thus I'd fixed it. Furthermore, due to the effects it now uses I've made it belong to two schools, the orignal Alteration one, plus Enchantment.

"This spell allows the caster to create a sphere of chaotic magic. All enemies within the area affected by the casting of this spell must make a saving throw vs. spells at -6 for every round that they remain in the sphere, and if the save is failed one of the following random effects occurs: the target goes berserk, is confused, is paralyzed, is rendered unconscious, flees in panic, or is affected by a wilde surge."

Last but not least...what about replacing the 7th level divine spell Confusion with Sphere of Chaos? :p For the sphere system I'd say it should be...well...chaos! :worship:

Freedom

I've managed to make it effectively "dispel" charm effects! :p

Black Blade of Disaster

"The caster wields the blade as if it were a long sword but he suffers no penalty for non-proficiency. The sword deals 2d12 damage per strike, and acts as a +5 magical weapon in terms of hit and damage bonuses as well as the type of creatures it can hit. With each hit there's a 15% chance the victim must make a save vs. spell at -5 or be disintegrated (20d6 points of magic damage, 5d6 on a successful save). Since the blade is made of pure magical energy, strength bonuses do not apply, but its attacks are considered melee touch attacks, thus gaining a +4 bonus to hit."

I have few things to discuss regarding the BBoD though:

1) I've left the 2d12 damage dice as "slashing" type to let the sword partially affect characters immune to magic damage, but I'd prefer it to deal only magic damage...what do you think?

2) regarding my suggestion about making it bypass PfMW as per PnP, one player "complained" that it would be too effective against mages because it could bypass both Stoneskin and PfMW...but I just realized that Blade Barrier is just as effective if not more, as it doesn't require a "to hit" roll and affetcs multiple creatures. Considering this is a 9th level spell, would it really be too mcuh to implement this feature?

As a side note...I think SCSII use 'Protection from Magic Energy' quite often for some powerful spellcasters (I remember at least liches using it), and that together with 'Protection from Magic Energy' would be the only way to completely protect against my suggested BBoD.

Edit:

Haste & Improved Haste

Now I remembered why these spells protect from each other:

- Haste's fatigue effect. It's impossible to handle it well as Improved Haste on a hasted character would cause the fatigue effect to take place in the middle of Improved Haste's duration.

- if Haste is casted after Improved Haste it probably replaces the more powerful effect

- these spells have different durations and the overlapping of their effects would cause strange things anyway (as haste and slow already does unfortunately)

Changing the duration of Mantle / Absolute Immunity / PMW won't really affect SCSII: I use detectable spells to work out when they've expired, and the code for DS is smart enough to adapt to changes in duration.

Protection from magic energy is on the standard buff list for high-level SCSII mages (mostly because of ADHW) so these changes to BBOD won't cause too much AI panic either.

Removing charm is, on a technical level, fairly difficult. The only way I know to do it is to give charm spells a "charm" secondary type, and then use "remove spell by secondary type". That in turn probably causes problems by removing the existing secondary type of charm spells; you can work around that by getting the charm spell to cast another spell which in turn applies the charm effect, but it's starting to become a lot of work.

(I've been doing lots of this as part of Cam's IWD-to-BG2 project - it's a pain, even with heavy automation.)

I have a quick technical question: how are you doing "random target"? I don't offhand know how to implement that, and it would be useful to.

Changing the duration of Mantle / Absolute Immunity / PMW won't really affect SCSII: I use detectable spells to work out when they've expired, and the code for DS is smart enough to adapt to changes in duration.

Protection from magic energy is on the standard buff list for high-level SCSII mages (mostly because of ADHW) so these changes to BBOD won't cause too much AI panic either.

Good to know! Does it also mean you agree on these changes? :worship:

Removing charm is, on a technical level, fairly difficult. ...
Actually it seems that casting charm on a charmed creature "cures" it, but I had to use domination's opcode (which is charm with a different offset) to make it work. Let me know if I'm wrong, I've tested it a little in-game and it seemed to work.

I have a quick technical question: how are you doing "random target"? I don't offhand know how to implement that, and it would be useful to.
Creating an AoE projectile but flagging it to affect only one target. I discovered this "flag" value only recently thanks to Galactygon but IESDP already listed it!

Target flags

• bit 0: Projectile visible
  • bit 1: Triggered by inanimate objects (e.g. doors)
  • bit 2: Triggered on condition
  • bit 3: No overlapping effects
  • bit 4: Use secondary projectile
  • bit 5: Use fragment graphics
  • bit 6: Target selection*
  • bit 7: Target selection*
  • bit 8: Unknown
  • bit 9: Multiple set off
  • bit 10: Use VVC
  • bit 11: Cone shape
  • bit 12: Unknown
  • bit 13: No explosion
  • bit 14: Delayed explosion
  • bit 15: Affect only one target
    *Target selection is relative to caster:
    • 00 Affect all
    • 01 Affect only enemies
    • 10 Affect all
    • 11 Affect only allies

Regarding the wild surge effect in sphere of chaos, and indeed in anything else...i'm a little concerned about the rolls that either destroy all gold on caster and the one that does same on target.

Few things which i don't know though:

If cast by your party: destroying gold on target is no big deal, solitary enemies never have much, no big loss.

Destroying gold on caster...how does that work? I mean party gold is shared right, does it take 1/n * (party gold), where n = no. of people in party? or some other fraction, or...and here's the clincher, does it take all the party gold? (I don't need to elaboarte on this, party's can have in the 100,000+ range of gold easily, that's a lot to lose just like that in one go).

If cast by enemies: Vice versa to the above really i guess; i.e. as the target if the effect goes off...that sucks (depending on how the mechanics of this effect work as noted/questioned above).

It all comes down to how the effect is handled (above) in terms of whether I would view the spell as balanced or not. I'll hold off on any suggestions or anything else until someone who knows definitively can put right how wild surges work.

Of course, I don't even know if there any enemy wild mages in the whole game...that could nullify one of the above cases at any rate, again, anyone care to set the matter straight, please?

Good to know! Does it also mean you agree on these changes? :worship:

I don't have strong views. (I haven't really followed the SR discussions enough to make fine grained comments - I usually chip in when either something is going to cause AI problems or I think people are underestimating how technically fiddly something will be.)

Destroying gold on caster...how does that work?
That's party gold, so it should take everything. :worship: As the opcode adds about 6 000 000 negative gold pieces, which makes the total to 0.

Now, what I think would actually make far better solution is to make the effect cast one of selected effects. As in, the wild surge would only cast about 20 of the (100-n)SPWM101 - SPWM198 spells, with it's own IF-cycle, if necessary -which I think it is.

Ditto for RR as it also uses Detectable Spells for checking for the presence of those spells rather than relying on a specific timer.

Some older non-DS mods might have issues with that though.

Protection from Magic Energy

As I've done for Protection from Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire I've added full protection from spells which deal magic damage like Holy Smite, Unholy Blight, Bolt of Glory, Magic Missile, Minor Drain, Skull Trap, Vampiric Touch, Disintegrate and Horrid Wilting. This should make this spell quite appealing imo.

Sphere of Chaos

Sorry but I'm not looking for more troubles right now, thus I've temporarily removed the Wild Surge effect. I've also replaced priest's Confusion with this spell, which is pratically an improved and much more effective version of it.

Protection from Energy

This 8th level spell is now incredibly effective as I've replaced the "+75%" resistance (which was "exploitable to reach 127%) with "set 100%", and added all the improvements the respective protection spells have gained in V3. I've left its duration to 2 rounds/level, which is quite less than 1 turn/level used by the 5th and 6th level version of protection spells.

Energy Drain

The description probably needs some refinements: "The casting of this spell opens a channel between the caster's plane and the Negative Energy plane. The caster of the spell acts as a conduit between the two planes, sucking life from a living creature and transferring it to the Negative Energy plane, draining him of 4 levels of experience. The target of this spell loses levels, Hit Dice, hit points, and abilities permanently. These levels can only be restored by a priest's restoration spell. The life force drained by the caster temporarily increases his own, granting him additional 20 hit points, +4 bonus to attack rolls, +4 bonus to saves, and +20% on every skill. These effects last for 1 turn. The target's magic resistance, if any, does not affect this spell." Should the effect be un-dispellable? :worship:

Protection from Magic Energy

Protection from Energy

What about protection from elements now? :p

Nice work.

Energy Drain

Should the effect be un-dispellable? :worship:

Yes, both the level drained on the target and the boni granted to the caster. Both roleplay and gameplay suggest level drain has to be specifically restored, and we're talking about the apotheosis of necromantic powers here :p

Protection from the Elements

As I've done for Protection from Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire I've added full protection from spells which deal elemental damage. It pratically is those 4 spells in one, but its effects last half as much.

What about protection from elements now? :p
I was forgotting to work on it!! :worship:

Spell Shield

"This spell grants extraordinary protection from spells and spell-like effects for a limited amount of time. Every time a saving throw is required to reduce or negate an effect the caster will automatically succeed the save, and whether or not a save is allowed, every source of magical damage inflicts only half damage to the caster. Due to the nature of this spell and its short duration it is mainly used to buy the wizard a few rounds in the thick of a magical duel. This effect lasts for the duration of the spell (5 rounds) or until dispelled."

Two "small" things:

- casting time currently is 5, should it be 1? I wouldn't do such a change because else this spell could be used after the opponent has already casted a spell against the caster, exploiting the time necassary for the projectile to reach the target.

- we were talking about making it un-dispellable but I'm quite against it, what do you think? If the reason behind it was only that damn beholder's Anti-magic Ray I'd prefer to tweak the ray instead to be less overpowering.

Energy Drain

Should the effect be un-dispellable? :p

Yes, both the level drained on the target and the boni granted to the caster. Both roleplay and gameplay suggest level drain has to be specifically restored, and we're talking about the apotheosis of necromantic powers here ;)
Anyone else has something to say about it? Else I'll do as Raj suggests.
Sphere of Chaos

Sorry but I'm not looking for more troubles right now, thus I've temporarily removed the Wild Surge effect. I've also replaced priest's Confusion with this spell, which is pratically an improved and much more effective version of it.

Is the wild surge effect still in for miscast magic? I forsee similar problems there otherwise, and anywhere else wild surges have been added in. I think they really should be kept to the wild mage class only, simply because of that single game-crippling effect which would require a reload, unfortunate but my opinion anyways on the matter.

Archived