leather armor that does not disable mage spells?

Lemernis

Is there a leather armor available in any mod that doesn't disable mage spells?
You can use this mod to get every armor to not disable the mage spells.(take note that it's the "Spellcasting in Armor with Casting Speed Penalties for Arcane Casters" component, and it has several(4) different rule options)

Or add

COPY_EXISTING ~leat05.itm~ ~override~
  READ_LONG 0x6a ~eff_off~
  READ_LONG 0x70 ~eff_num~
  FOR(i=0;i<~eff_num~;i=i+1) BEGIN
		READ_SHORT 0x30*i + ~eff_off~ ~eff_type~
		PATCH_IF ~eff_type~=145 BEGIN
			   DELETE_BYTES 0x30*i + ~eff_off~ 0x30
			   SET ~eff_num~=~eff_num~-1
		END
		WRITE_LONG 0x70 ~eff_num~
  END
BUT_ONLY

to any mod TP2 file you like, and replace "leat05" with whatever leather armour you don't want to disable spellcasting (not tested).

There's a studded leather in Revised Forgotten Wars Item Pack - FWLEAT06. (Warning: lots of unbalanced items in that mod)

There's another in Auril's Bane for Icewind Dale - LEATGR01 (perhaps an obscure mod transplants it to BG2).

Or you could use BG2 Tweaks, or Full Plate & Packing Steel, or Item Revisions, or David's quick hack... lots of options. :p

Is there a leather armor available in any mod that doesn't disable mage spells?
You can use this mod to get every armor to not disable the mage spells.(take note that it's the "Spellcasting in Armor with Casting Speed Penalties for Arcane Casters" component, and it has several(4) different rule options)

Aside from this optional component to apply to all armour types, you can also find a couple of leather armours that allow spellcasting in Item Revisions' main component. For spoilers, check out this topic.

Or add

COPY_EXISTING ~leat05.itm~ ~override~
  READ_LONG 0x6a ~eff_off~
  READ_LONG 0x70 ~eff_num~
  FOR(i=0;i<~eff_num~;i=i+1) BEGIN
		READ_SHORT 0x30*i + ~eff_off~ ~eff_type~
		PATCH_IF ~eff_type~=145 BEGIN
			   DELETE_BYTES 0x30*i + ~eff_off~ 0x30
			   SET ~eff_num~=~eff_num~-1
		END
		WRITE_LONG 0x70 ~eff_num~
  END
BUT_ONLY

to any mod TP2 file you like, and replace "leat05" with whatever leather armour you don't want to disable spellcasting (not tested).

I would like to try this, but I'm gunshy about what happened after I did this on another computer that I was using to playtest a mod.

I edited a .tp2, and used Notepad to do it. After that Windows wanted to open that .tp2 via Notepad! Not being all that computer savvy it was a bit of a hassle to correct back to opening it with WeiDu.

I guess I could use ConText though, eh? Hope I can figure it out.

I would like to try this, but I'm gunshy about what happened after I did this on another computer that was using to playtest a mod.

I edited a .tp2, and used Notepad to do it. Then Windows wanted to open my .tp2's via Notepad! Not being all that computer savvy it was a bit of a hassle to correct.

I guess I could use ConText though, eh? Hope I can figure it out.

Don't be afraid to edit .tp2 files. The only reason you'd ever need to open them is to edit them. All mod installations are done with the executable file (setup-modname.exe), not the .tp2 (setup-modname.tp2).

Guest thelee

just for my own edification, why would you want leather armor that doesnt' disable spells? as bracers or appropriate robe gets you better AC without the terrible missile AC penalty. Is it just for the (admittedly pretty cool-looking) avatar with the hood?

just for my own edification, why would you want leather armor that doesnt' disable spells? as bracers or appropriate robe gets you better AC without the terrible missile AC penalty. Is it just for the (admittedly pretty cool-looking) avatar with the hood?

Yes, that is exactly the reason. I have Kido in the party. He's a Jester who the developer hacked to give him some wizard spells. I want to give Kido the hooded appearance (he actually has a special hood of his own in the head inventory slot) but he needs armor for it to show up. So your guess is correct, it's cosmetic and not actually to provide protection. :blush:

Archived