Beta testing... the iwd_in_bg2-v1.exe

Well, because no one to my notice, yes I am blind, has said it yet; There is bugs in the game.

Colour me unsurprised.

The .2da files would need some re-takes/makes, the game currently ends with 30th level,

Be more specific. Which 2da files end at L30? (Not all do).

the Lore table is totally shot on the Sorcerer side as they aren't even in the table, and so get the minimum of 1, as do the Barbarian, and the Monk.

Good catch. That needs fixing.

EDIT: No, not good catch at all. We're using the unmodified lore table from BG2, which also doesn't have entries for these classes.

Jarno, if you're going to report bugs (and please do!) then it's probably best to check them in-game rather than just from scrolling through the game's resources. Or if you are going to do that, at least cross-reference to a vanilla copy of BG2.

The Sorcerer has modified spell table from the original game, so he is always behind one level on the spell charts, so he gains 2nd spells at level 4 instead of 3, level 3 spells at level 6 instead of 5... yes the Sorcerers gains extra spells because they are level behind, but it's not the original chart.

I'm not sure what you mean here. The relevant 2da file ("mxsplsrc") is unchanged from BG2.

Got this working today after a botched install yesterday.

It looks great! The GUI is pretty amazing and definitely makes it feel like a new game. We'll see if I might be able to get through an IWD game now. The NPCs provided have very nice intro dialogues, too.

Things of note:

• GUI - as mentioned before, the proficiency screen chops off some proficiency types: 2H Sword, plus all the weapon styles
  • GUI - when picking up items off the ground on the main screen, the icon of your top-left item will be offset so that you can only see its top half sticking out of the bottom of the square. Ex: here. The screenshot also shows a less noticeable offset issue on the left side that I circled in blue.
  • Some of the spells in temples have mismatched names/icons and description and/or shouldn't be there. Ex: For 50 gp, the cleric in Easthaven will cast Unholy Blight on me and I'll be "cured of any diseases" or 20 gp and Draw upon Holy Might will heal me for 11 hit points.
  • The proficiency lines in item descriptions don't always match the proficiencies of the items. Ex: Both Bastard Swords and Two-Handed Swords are listed under the Great Swords proficiency in their descriptions, but they use their respective BG2 proficiencies. [suggestion for tweak: alter item proficiencies to match IWD categories.]
  • Some of the townspeople seem to mutter random things above their head, which is duplicated in the chat window when the option to do so is checked, which is okay. When I entered the Easthaven inn, however, my screen was still getting inundated with a large number of muttering updates from the people outside. Screenie.
  • The tooltips for your NPCs don't match the creature names and have strange capitalisation. (I realised the former issue seems to be a style difference between BG and IWD and crossed it off the list.) Ex: Dwarf warrior vs. Dwarf Warrior.
  • In a side area of Kuldahar Pass, there are a number of goblins and beetles. Inside the cave, the beetles were chomping down happily on goblin corpses the entire time I was whacking away at them. Outside the cave, two of the three goblin groups ignored me while I was taking out the third even though they were clearly within visual range, but they did attack once I targeted them. I have "Better calls for help" and "Improved General AI" installed.

I also noticed an "affect/effect" typo in the vanilla dialogue. Should this sort of thing be fixed here or elsewhere?

The .2da files would need some re-takes/makes, the game currently ends with 30th level,
Be more specific. Which 2da files end at L30? (Not all do).
Well, the xplevel.2da caps the characters to level single class char to level 31 with 8 100 000, and the xpcap.2da caps them before that level to 8 000 000 experience points so it's in level 30... see, I usually make a point in looking the game resources only after trying the game experience in game. Or more like experience the game while trying to find bugs and when I see one, I open the game resources and try to find an explanation. The lore table becoming one of them.

baldr001.png

Like in this case of Sorcerer, my main char is one, with 18 in Int and Wis, and he still gained 1 Lore on the levels... so the IwDinBG2 uses the original BG2 file... hmm, perhaps it should use some other, because this situation is intolerable.

Ii-ih, you are right about the vanilla Sorcerer casting... :)

First bug, I think.

In the vale of the shadows, in the first crypt (top most right one). I wasnt detecting traps and went up the right stairway and of course set off the trap. The game slowed down to nothing, about 3 frames per minute (yes, i said minute) and then after a while (l let it run) the windows box popped up asking if I want to send an error report to Microsh!t. Reloaded and tried again with same results. 3rd time I detected and disabled the trap and had no problems. Looks like a spell graphics problem when the trap is set off.

Loading the save game from inside the crypt works. Loading the autosave or my quick save from just outside of the crypt CTD's after the loading indicator starts to move a little bit. Clearing out the temp and cache did not help any. Any other save game works correctly.

Deleting ar3401 and ar3000 from the save game files (auto and quick) did not resolve the issue either.

Damn, my only other save was from when I first entered kuldahar so I gotta do that whole section over. Oh well, thats beta testing for ya :)

Like in this case of Sorcerer, my main char is one, with 18 in Int and Wis, and he still gained 1 Lore on the levels... so the IwDinBG2 uses the original BG2 file... hmm, perhaps it should use some other, because this situation is intolerable.

Intolerable it may be, but as far as I can see it's vanilla-game behaviour, so I won't be changing it in the conversion.

Kind of trivial, but I gave my thief a pip in crossbows, but on buying one, discovered that it's unusable by thieves. It's red on the inventory page, as well. I don't know if this is what Mike1072 is saying. Maybe it's a mismatch between IWD usability and BG2 usability?

Ronin, I'm not so sure I follow you. Is the CTD you had loading the autosave related to the CTD from the graphics issue, or is that just any time you try to load an autosave? And was this a multi-player game moved to the single player save file? I ask because every once in a while, I'd run into that issue with BGT, where a multi-player quick-save played in single-player mode would crash on loading. Never reported it, since it didn't happen all the time, and I was playing an unbiffed, heavily-modified install that was crashing plenty on its own, without taking that into consideration.

Ronin, I'm not so sure I follow you. Is the CTD you had loading the autosave related to the CTD from the graphics issue, or is that just any time you try to load an autosave? And was this a multi-player game moved to the single player save file? I ask because every once in a while, I'd run into that issue with BGT, where a multi-player quick-save played in single-player mode would crash on loading. Never reported it, since it didn't happen all the time, and I was playing an unbiffed, heavily-modified install that was crashing plenty on its own, without taking that into consideration.

Its CTD's when the trap graphics start inside the crypt. And the second CTD was my auto and quicksave when just outside of the crypt before going in. I am trying right now to do it again to see if its ar3000 that is causing it.

***edit***

play thru till the crypt again, went in and it autosaved, loaded the autosave and it loaded fine. will go in and fight the skeletons and set the trap off again and see what happens to my autosave

First bug, I think.

In the vale of the shadows, in the first crypt (top most right one). I wasnt detecting traps and went up the right stairway and of course set off the trap. The game slowed down to nothing, about 3 frames per minute (yes, i said minute) and then after a while (l let it run) the windows box popped up asking if I want to send an error report to Microsh!t. Reloaded and tried again with same results. 3rd time I detected and disabled the trap and had no problems. Looks like a spell graphics problem when the trap is set off.

Loading the save game from inside the crypt works. Loading the autosave or my quick save from just outside of the crypt CTD's after the loading indicator starts to move a little bit. Clearing out the temp and cache did not help any. Any other save game works correctly.

Deleting ar3401 and ar3000 from the save game files (auto and quick) did not resolve the issue either.

Interesting. I think I know what's going on... can you try this?

1) see if you can cast Stinking Cloud. (Cheat in scrl97.itm if you haven't got the spell; pick up Eloise from above Pomab's shop or Ilauna from Orrick's tower if you need a wizard). If you can't, it's a spell problem.

2) if it works, edit gnt2004.bcs in NI. Where it says

ReallyForceSpell(LastTrigger,TRAP_STINKING_CLOUD)

replace it with

ActionOverride(LastTrigger,ReallyForceSpell(Myself,TRAP_STINKING_CLOUD))

(you'll need to do it in two places). Then go back to the crypt (teleport there, it's AR3401) and see if the trap still CTDs.

(Guess what: my own alpha test got me exactly as far as the door to that crypt, but no further. If I'd thought about it, I'd have made sure that I'd tested a trap or two... oh well.)

Kind of trivial, but I gave my thief a pip in crossbows, but on buying one, discovered that it's unusable by thieves. It's red on the inventory page, as well. I don't know if this is what Mike1072 is saying. Maybe it's a mismatch between IWD usability and BG2 usability?

What sort did you buy? - light or heavy? There's a component in the core install that makes light crossbows usable by thieves. If you're trying to use light crossbows and it's not happening, can you check your WEIDU.log to see if it installed correctly?

... I'm increasingly seeing why non-easy-TUTU was such a pain to maintain! I'll be distributing a version with a new installer this evening (save-game-compatible) that ought to have a much smoother install, with fewer of these "did this bit work on your install" problems (at the cost of an extra 2MB download).

stinking cloud scroll CTD'd my game.

more info for you. when first casting it it works ok for a few seconds and as time goes on the game gets slower and slower till you cant do anything and then the microsh!t window comes

OK, thanks - obviously you're right, it's some animation issue. I'll see if I can reproduce it when I get home.

What sort did you buy? - light or heavy? There's a component in the core install that makes light crossbows usable by thieves. If you're trying to use light crossbows and it's not happening, can you check your WEIDU.log to see if it installed correctly?

... I'm increasingly seeing why non-easy-TUTU was such a pain to maintain! I'll be distributing a version with a new installer this evening (save-game-compatible) that ought to have a much smoother install, with fewer of these "did this bit work on your install" problems (at the cost of an extra 2MB download).

It was a heavy crossbow, so at least that's working as it should. :)

Do we have to upgrade? I'd as soon wait until you've got a version that destenchifies the stinking cloud issue. I'm thinking that my install is working more or less like Ronin's, so I know I'm good until I get to the Vale of Shadows, which is still quite some way away.

yeti's are no challenge either, I remember them being tougher in the original IWD and I am playing on core. Orcs and goblins are ok and as I said before goblins are tougher than lesser shadows and about the same as yeti's.

I will start a new game tonite at home because I forgot 90% of the quests in the starting town so lost alot of XP that way. I will wait for the new patch before I start though.

It was a heavy crossbow, so at least that's working as it should. :)

Do we have to upgrade? I'd as soon wait until you've got a version that destenchifies the stinking cloud issue. I'm thinking that my install is working more or less like Ronin's, so I know I'm good until I get to the Vale of Shadows, which is still quite some way away.

If you reckon you've got a full working install, then no: no need to upgrade. As far as possible I'm going to do new content in patch form, since otherwise it's going to mean an hour's slog every time I fix something.

Archived