Beta testing... the iwd_in_bg2-v1.exe

I'm in Kuldahar now, and am experiencing a strange bug. When I try to travel east to the Vale of Shadows, the game crashes at the start of loading the map. The same thing happens when I use the console to move to AR3000. However, if I travel back to Kuldahar Pass, and then travel to the Vale either via the worldmap or console, no crashing. No crash when consoling to the area with a new character, either. :)

Also, I updated my last post.

Edit: scratch that solution. I can travel to the area via that method, but will crash if I need to load a save made there.

Edit2: mwaha, fixed it! ar3000.are has the 'Extended night' flag set, but is missing the appropriate night-time resources in my install. ar9500.are has the same problem.

COPY_EXISTING ~ar3000.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar9500.are~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x109) BEGIN
READ_SHORT  0x48 flags
WRITE_SHORT 0x48 (flags BAND 0b10111111)
 END
 BUT_ONLY

I'm in Kuldahar now, and am experiencing a strange bug. When I try to travel east to the Vale of Shadows, the game crashes at the start of loading the map. The same thing happens when I use the console to move to AR3000. However, if I travel back to Kuldahar Pass, and then travel to the Vale either via the worldmap or console, no crashing. No crash when consoling to the area with a new character, either. :)

Also, I updated my last post.

Edit: scratch that solution. I can travel to the area via that method, but will crash if I need to load a save made there.

Edit2: mwaha, fixed it! ar3000.are has the 'Extended night' flag set, but is missing the appropriate night-time resources in my install. ar9500.are has the same problem.

COPY_EXISTING ~ar3000.are~ ~override~
		  ~ar9500.are~ ~override~
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x109) BEGIN
READ_SHORT  0x48 flags
WRITE_SHORT 0x48 (flags BAND 0b10111111)
 END
 BUT_ONLY

I bet you that was the problem I had in ar3000 with my quick and autosaves. Thanks

[*]In a side area of Kuldahar Pass, there are a number of goblins and beetles. Inside the cave, the beetles were chomping down happily on goblin corpses the entire time I was whacking away at them. Outside the cave, two of the three goblin groups ignored me while I was taking out the third even though they were clearly within visual range, but they did attack once I targeted them. I have "Better calls for help" and "Improved General AI" installed.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me but wasnt sure if it was normal iwd or not since I hadnt played iwd in years.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me but wasnt sure if it was normal iwd or not since I hadnt played iwd in years.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure what's "normal" and what's not, but I'll be reporting anything that seems weird to me.

Continuing in this vein... I'm getting an inappropriately large number of spawns in the Vale of Shadows. They started off in groups of 3 or so, but seem to be re-spawning a lot (when I go into the caves/rest?), even when I haven't killed the existing groups. This is leading to major slowdown in the entire region and huge groups of baddies to kill... extremely slowly. Ex: here and here. Probably related to whatever is causing this, some of the monsters are literally spawned on top of each other, and they can't move until I kill one of them.

The goblin behaviour is (I think) the way it's supposed to work.

The shadow behaviour clearly isn't. I think the script command I use to see if the previous spawn has died isn't reliably working. I'll redo it with death variables; in the meantime, SetGlobal("VALE_OF_SHADOWS_SPAWN","GLOBAL",0) will turn off spawns.

The crashes caused by cloud spells turn out to be a glitch in my building the beta - effectively, the component that sorts out clouds is being installed twice, which leads to a self-referential loop. You can fix it locally by rolling back the install as far as component 220 (i.e., uninstalling that component and all later ones), then opening iwd_in_bg2\lib\clouds.2da and deleting all data in it, and then reinstalling everything.

I hope I'll get an updated conversion up tonight (I'm away tomorrow - Tues); apologies if that doesn't happen.

I remember the one and only time I played IWD (lost interest at about that point), there were a lot of shadows, and they did respawn, but IIRC, they weren't supposed to spawn until the one before it had snuffed it.

I had to set the VALE_OF_SHADOWS_SPAWN variable to 2 instead of 0 as it kept resetting itself. With that and CTRL-Y, I've cleared everything except the main dungeon there (and have a fair bit of XP). I can't enter the Tomb of Kresselack (AR3501) - I'm getting a crash about 1/10th of the way through loading the area.

Also, it seems that the Wizard spell Strength crashes the game when applying its effects.

Viewing the map in Kuldahar Pass caused a crash about half the times I tried it.

Also, the 3 undead in this room (AR3301) refused to attack me. The one on the bridge gave a speech when I entered, then nothing.

Some of the bugs I've found:

-Vilmar has 24 hp, should have 15 hp (level 1)

-bugs in cellar run away (probably due to AI, I don't have improved AI installed)

-Eloise throws arrows when bow is not equipped. as soon as bow is equipped this issue is solved (never occurs again)

-paladins not getting remove disease ability (by design?)

-alignment restrictions for assassin inaccurate (should be evil but all regular thief alignments available)

-druids get HLAs at level 15 (2 million XP)

-green bar in lower left corner when portraits or left panel buttons hidden

-cannot restore left panel buttons after they are hidden

-good clerics don't get greater shield of lathander (unless this is for priests of lathander only)

-cloudkill causes slowdown, suspect other cloud spells may have similar problem

-chickens are attacking goblins in the Kuldahar Pass

-no rest button on main screen

-priestess at the temple of ilmater in kuldahar has unholy blight as a service but it says it cures disease (actually casts unholy blight)

-as above only draw upon holy might for cure moderate wounds (actually casts DUHM)

Nitpicking

-exotic weapons (katanas, wakizashis, ninja-tos) not available in Pomabs shop

-exits very small and not quite where they are expected to be (mostly exiting buildings or other small areas)

-orcs giving 1 XP less than normal

-load/save screens: text is slightly higher than it should

I had some screenshots of the temple services, green bar, and goblinslaying chickens but photobucket won't let me upload them :)

Some of the bugs I've found:

-Vilmar has 24 hp, should have 15 hp (level 1)

Bug, thanks

-bugs in cellar run away (probably due to AI, I don't have improved AI installed)

Not bug (I think): I get similar behaviour in vanilla IWD

-Eloise throws arrows when bow is not equipped. as soon as bow is equipped this issue is solved (never occurs again)

Bug, thanks

-paladins not getting remove disease ability (by design?)

Omission, I think

-alignment restrictions for assassin inaccurate (should be evil but all regular thief alignments available)

No idea how that happened, will fix

-druids get HLAs at level 15 (2 million XP)

Yeah, I never worked out what to do about HLAs

Interesting, I'll see if I can reproduce. What's your resolution?

-cannot restore left panel buttons after they are hidden

Even by hotkey? (If hotkeys work, I don't really care)

-good clerics don't get greater shield of lathander (unless this is for priests of lathander only)

Nope: bug.

-cloudkill causes slowdown, suspect other cloud spells may have similar problem

Known bug, next release will fix

-chickens are attacking goblins in the Kuldahar Pass

Fantastic. (but bug, obviously)

-no rest button on main screen

I'll look at this sometime but it may be beyond my skill.

-priestess at the temple of ilmater in kuldahar has unholy blight as a service but it says it cures disease (actually casts unholy blight)

-as above only draw upon holy might for cure moderate wounds (actually casts DUHM)

Bugs.

-exotic weapons (katanas, wakizashis, ninja-tos) not available in Pomabs shop

Not a bug - they're not available in IWD. This is tweakpack territory.

-exits very small and not quite where they are expected to be (mostly exiting buildings or other small areas)

Yeah, this is a known side-effect of the algorithm I use to resize exits. Basically the default exits are mostly unusable due to game engine difficulties, and my algorithm for moving them sometimes overdoes it. I can't fix it in a generic sense but I can do alterations on a per-building level for any really crazy ones.

-orcs giving 1 XP less than normal

No idea why that is, I'll chase if I have a chance.

-load/save screens: text is slightly higher than it should

Probably unfixable.

I had to set the VALE_OF_SHADOWS_SPAWN variable to 2 instead of 0 as it kept resetting itself. With that and CTRL-Y, I've cleared everything except the main dungeon there (and have a fair bit of XP). I can't enter the Tomb of Kresselack (AR3501) - I'm getting a crash about 1/10th of the way through loading the area.

Also, it seems that the Wizard spell Strength crashes the game when applying its effects.

Viewing the map in Kuldahar Pass caused a crash about half the times I tried it.

Also, the 3 undead in this room (AR3301) refused to attack me. The one on the bridge gave a speech when I entered, then nothing.

I'll try to chase these up. I've come across the map crash before but couldn't reproduce it consistently - I'd welcome any ideas.

This is redundant, and is focused on getting my install up and running, but probably now is a good time to narrow some of the last pages down. My notes/fixes for IcewindTUTU installing to date (from what I have observed, and read in this thread).

Before unpacking installer:

Target directories for installation cannot have spaces.

Do not move directories unless you change the .ini files to reflect the new location (needs verification, probably won't get a chance till tomorrow).

After the installer unpacks:

Change WEIDU.exe to setup-ice_tutu_tweaks.exe in the IcewindTUTU folder.

Change DFENGALA.d file, line 66, GlobaGT to GlobalGT.

Delete all data in the \lib\clouds.2da file.

Expected errors while installing:

[EEPOMABS.baf] line 7 -- [ForceSpell] argument [iNNATE_POMABS_IMAGES] not found in [sPELL.ids]

[AR9502.baf] line 7 -- [start Music] argument [DAY] not found in [MUSICS.ids]

[AR9502.baf] line 18 -- [start Music] argument [MISC0] not found in [MUSICS.ids]

[sEDJINNI.baf] line 21 -- [ForceSpell] argument [CLERIC_WHIRLWIND] not found in [sPELL.ids]

Expected errors from the .DEBUG file:

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS David's tailored scripting replacements: SavedLocation (part 1)

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS more script conv

Additional observations:

I checked the Barbarian HP in NI, and I show they get 21 at first level instead of 12.

Player Arbitration button on inventory screen has the Options image (haven't tried it to see if it goes to Arbitration or not).

I don't know how much of this will change with your new package, or on a good install on my end.

And as a suggestion (nit-pick), it would probably be a good idea to rename the package to iwd-in-bg2-beta2. The one you first release says iwd-in-bg2-v1...

The AI script that you can install with the tweaks is in need of an overhaul. If an npc with the script is using a ranged weapon they do not switch to another weapon when they are in close combat, you hae to pause and manually switch them. They also do not use any potions or scrolls in the quick slots.

Found a bunch more:

-assassins getting 25 points for thief skills instead of the 15 they're supposed to get

-death fog and spike growth act as stinking cloud and cloudkill (suspect Malavon's corrosive fog will be the same)

-summoning spells and undead ward have their animations displaced

-undead ward animation lasts only through casting then disappears (had similar problem with Konalan's Tweaks still unsolved)

-Paladin special abilities cannot be used, the paladin just stands there (had similar problem with Restored Paladin Abilities component of Konalan's Tweaks and solved it though I can't remember offhand how I did it)

-When one of the summoning spells ends (I forget which one) one of Valen's lines is displayed ("Well it is not for me to say...")

-when command word: die is cast, "You can not have multiple castings of the same contingency" is displayed

Interesting, I'll see if I can reproduce. What's your resolution?

1024x768

As for the greater shield of lathander bug, it only seemed to apply for the cleric I made. Kori, however, got the spell. Have to test it some more

Archived