Beta testing... the iwd_in_bg2-v1.exe

I finally have a functional install. V2 took three hours to install, however...

As far as I'm concerned, this is a bug. I understand BG2 has two different types of XP, quest and general. IWD only uses the general, but the quests in Easthaven are geared to quest. So running solo I find I get 200xp per quest instead of the 1200xp of vanilla. The 1200xp would be divided between the members of the party.

Edit: That don't sound so good, do it? Lemme try this way.

I finished a few quest solo and got 200xp. With some of the NPC's, each member of the party gets 200xp. In vanilla IWD the party, whether one or many, gets 1200xp per quest (except for one that's 2400xp). The xp needs to be shifted from individual (max 1200xp) to party (flat 1200xp).

I suspect this is the same through the rest of the game...

I can't enter the Tomb of Kresselack (AR3501) - I'm getting a crash about 1/10th of the way through loading the area.

There seems to be a problem with the animations for mytos.cre and ktmum1.cre. A temporary solution is to give them another animation - I have no idea what they're supposed to look like, so I picked things that should match their races.

Edit: Another creature with one of these animations on the 2nd floor, added to list.

COPY_EXISTING ~mytos.cre~ ~override~ // Mytos the Bone Dancer
 PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x2d3) BEGIN
WRITE_LONG 0x28 60176 // skeleton warrior
 END
 BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~ktmum1.cre~ ~override~ // Mummy
WRITE_LONG 0x28 57472 // mummy
 END
 BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~ktsmg2.cre~ ~override~ // Skeletal Mage
WRITE_LONG 0x28 25603 // skeleton
 END
 BUT_ONLY

The above code should allow the area to load and is what I'll be using unless/until further problems are encountered.

The code below displays a list of all ~15 creatures using these animations and modifies them in the same way.

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.cre$~ ~override~
READ_LONG 0x28 anim
PATCH_IF (anim == 58248 || anim == 58249) BEGIN
  WRITE_LONG 0x28 57472 // mummy
  PATCH_PRINT ~## %SOURCE_RES% is a mummy!~
END
ELSE PATCH_IF (anim == 60265) BEGIN
  WRITE_LONG 0x28 60176 // skeleton warrior
  PATCH_PRINT ~## %SOURCE_RES% is a skeleton!~
END
 END
 BUT_ONLY

My guess is the bug Mike1072 is finding with creature animations is also occurring in the Severed Hand. I've been unable to access the third level as it causes a crash.

Other bugs I've found:

-cannot access second and fifth level of dragons eye due to maligned exit zones

-trolls have drowned dead avatar

-Sheemish quest cannot be completed even after all monsters are destroyed

-Mother Egeina does not talk

-AI on 4th level of dragons eye is screwed up (Marchon's company just stands around, High summoner doesn't summon, eldathians only attack when approached)

-Odd little girl does not die when Yxonomei appears, party keeps attacking odd little girl even when she is invisible

-visiting 3rd floor of severed hand causes crash

-northwest exit to third floor inaccessible

-Kuldahar inn has zone near fireplace where character circles cannot be seen

-clicking on map causes CTD (not consistent) get error: An Assertion failed in ChUIControls.cpp at line number 549

-protection from normal missiles can be cast on anyone

-otiluke's resiliant sphere does not protect from all damage

-decastive and mordenkainen's sword doesn't show weapon in casters hand

-summon planetar summons a planetar/giant hybrid (animation)

-power word: kill is a targeted spell, should be area spell IIRC

-prismatic spray doesn't do anything except show a white cloud

-monster summoning 7 crashes game (probably animation related)

I can confirm most of Konalan's findings that aren't spell-related.

Some more stuff:

• Mytos the Bone Dancer in Kresselack's Tomb, 1st Floor (AR3501) doesn't attack, though his 4 minions do.
  • Neither the Cure Disease spell nor the Mummy's Tea potion remove a portrait icon that I suspect came from a mummy.
  • The Wand of Armory (wandarm) has two activated abilities. Unfortunately, the abilities both use the item's icon and share its name as their tooltips, so it's hard to tell which is which.
  • The verbeeg animation appears quite messed up and I suspect the soundset is also not right.
  • The armour "Studded Leather +1: Shadowed" (usltr01) says it is usable by thieves and rangers, but its usability settings don't allow cleric/thieves or cleric/rangers to use it.
  • When going down from the second level of the Temple of the Forgotten God (AR3602), the exit trigger to click on is kind of strange, seeming to be something like this. The trigger going up from the second level is also a little iffy.
  • More info regarding Mother Egenia: the trigger for dialogue with her (in DEGENIA.DLG) was TALONITEDEAD > 9 in IWD and is now SPRITE_IS_DEADTALONITE > 9. The TALONITEDEAD variable is updating properly, so this should probably be reverted. I don't know whether or not this sort of thing is also present in other dialogues/scripts.
  • Agannazar's Scorcher doesn't seem to be dealing any damage. Edit: But Flame Strike appears fine. Must not have been paying attention earlier or cast it on something that didn't mind fire.
  • Static Charge only does its damage once, instead of once every turn for the duration, and it leaves an animation overlay on the target that doesn't seem to go away with time.

The strangeness of the running away scripting seen with some of the monsters (the beetles in the first house, enemies in the Tomb of Kresselack) may be because the creatures are fleeing the actual area and end up in a new zone. In the tomb, it was especially awkward because the creatures fled across a party-required boundary, and when you got to the other side, they immediately tried to go back across. I was testing something in normal IWD and the bugs at the beginning didn't leave the basement, so maybe the area-fleeing is a side effect of some of the new AI.

I also seem to be running into problems getting the ARXXXX_VISITED variables set, which I've found to be important for advancing Arundel's dialogue (and probably other things). It looks like these variables are set automatically upon loading the area in IWD. (I fixed with an EXTEND_TOP to area scripts to set these variables.)

Hi, sorry for absence - RL catching up.

I'm about to upload version 3, which has the following changes:

- problem with cloud spells (I hope) fixed

- problem with spawns likewise (I hope) fixed

- Verbeeg animation fix

- several missing animations sorted out, which should fix the crashes Mike1072's been correctly attributing to animations

- New installation setup, which I hope will be a lot smoother and faster as well as better at picking up when there's a problem

It's not a fix of all the reported bugs, but it does the most critical ones and I wanted it out there as quickly as possible.

It would be helpful if people could update to the new version. I recommend installing it in a new directory and then copying your saves over (just in case there's a problem). After that, I'm hoping to do most subsequent updates in hotfix mode, at least for a while, as I recognise it's a pain to keep updating something so damn big.

I've moved all the nonfixed bugs I'm aware of to a new pinned thread (but keep reporting them here, the thread's just for me). There are two special cases:

(i) I've made a thread to report, specifically, problems with misplaced or missing area transitions

(ii) I don't know what's causing the intermittent crashes when going to map screen. If anyone can help, say.

Here are a few things reported that aren't bugs, or at least aren't going to be fixed any time soon

- problems with PW:Kill and Static Charge - these are limitations of the conversion, at least for now. (Though the animation problem with SC is a bug)

- problems with level of quest XP - that's a known problem that is a bit of a pain to fix. Since it only affects soloers, it's not a priority.

Many thanks for everyone's help, and apologies for the profusion of problems (I did warn you!) The conversion is fairly centralised in its design, so I hope it's likely that a lot of problems, once solved in the early game, won't recur in the later game.

The latest bugs I've found in v2:

-typo: when speaking to lehland, missing period after "Tell me about Corellon Tower"

-killing kaylessa causes reputation decrease

-astrolabe animations not working

-too many spawns in first level of dorn's deep

-stairs in lightning rune room (ar6010) can be accessed without solving the puzzle

-upon passing the forge in ar6004 get message, "These are wooden supply crates, no doubt offloaded from the wagons outside. The crates appear to be intact and unopened." Should be "You suddenly feel very cold."

-Terikan's domain crashes game suspect it is due to one of the undead in vale of shadows and severed hand.

-no mordenkainen's force missiles spell >:rolleyes:

-frost salamander aura not dealing damage

-frost giants death cry doesn't sound right

-fire salamanders damaging themselves and being held

-westernmost door in garden (lower dorn's with red myconids) leads to area that crashes

I will download v3 for further testing. As for the map CTD problem, I mentioned in my previous post the error message I got. It certainly isn't a consistent problem and only happens 10% of the time by my reckoning.

EDIT: Umm, v3 isn't available. It's still v2 and it isn't the 18 MB advertised but 16 MB

EDIT: Umm, v3 isn't available. It's still v2 and it isn't the 18 MB advertised but 16 MB

The real v3 link is here I think.

However, I've been having trouble getting it to install properly. The .bat seems to finish okay, and lets me know that ign21.wav and intro15f.2da are missing. When I run the WeiDU installer, a good many of the components fail to install, as the files they are looking to copy in the iwd_in_bg2 folder aren't there. For example, component #30 "Icasaracht conversion" fails because it can't find iwd_in_bg2/cre/icasa.cre, while the entire cre subfolder doesn't even exist.

The real v3 link is here I think.

... but the real question is, why are you talking about the v2 or v3 when you are supposed to talk about the iwd_in_bg2-v1.exe, in this thread. Feel free to make a new thread!
Beta testing... the iwd_in_bg2-v1.exe

Right, that was a fiasco - sorry! (I'm struggling with RL to find time at the moment, so that got too rushed).

I've declared v3 officially stillborn and uploaded version 4. The link now works (I hope to God). It differs from v3 only by one file, though, so if you can't be bothered to re-download 18MB, just run the v3.exe, escape out, unzip and drop the attached file into iwd_in_bg2\lib, open a command window at the conversion home folder, and type "iwd_in_bg2\iwd_in_bg2.bat".

NOTE: if you get a message saying that some file is missing, the conversion has FAILED. (There were two errors in the list of required files, hence the problem with v3). If this happens, let me know. (This is attempting to diagnose some earlier problems that Yarpen in particular was having.) If that doesn't happen, the converter should run the needed bits of setup-iwd_in_bg2 automatically - there's no need to run it manually (indeed, doing so will cause trouble).

Many apologies for the f*-up.

biff_file_list.zip

Right, that was a fiasco - sorry! (I'm struggling with RL to find time at the moment, so that got too rushed).

Many apologies for ...

Well, now that we have our new toy, there is really no need to apologize. And many thanks for trying to make this mod a reality.

And if there is no critical failures(that's to be seen yet), but some minor tweaking etc. we do understand well if you don't take the time to sort them our 'just now' while the RL is hard... or even if it's not, cause at least I can sympathize the need to relax etc. so for me, there is no rush to complete this. See you in the next thread. :rolleyes:

Many apologies for ...

Well, now that we have our new toy, there is really no need to apologize. And many thanks for trying to make this mod a reality.

And if there is no critical failures(that's to be seen yet), but some minor tweaking etc. we do understand well if you don't take the time to sort them our 'just now' while the RL is hard... or even if it's not, cause at least I can sympathize the need to relax etc. so for me, there is no rush to complete this. See you in the next thread. :mwaha:

Seconded. My progress isn't so fast due to RL as well. Just seeing any progress keeps me going. Cheers! :rolleyes: (non-alcoholic, but with a whole pile of your favorite cookies!!!)

Archived