Feedback

It seems I will have to wait for SR v4 to really start playing this game... :)

Yes, so do I. And I'll need to check again all my spellbooks to see what should be changed with SR 4.0 !

Hopefully, this will be the final version eheh :)

I've just sent to cmorgan V3.1 but don't hold your breath for V4, with my times it won't be out so quickly! ;) Regarding it being the "final" release, yes it will. Speaking of final releases, IR V3 (hopefully out within a bunch of days) almost surely is a final version too. After that I think small updates may take place (e.g. few changes, new languages. etc) but nothing major. I'll devote myself only to Kit Revisions. :D Edited by Demivrgvs

Nice to know that your IR and SR projects are near completion.

I know it might take some time for SR v4 but I trust you are that kind of modder that won't just suddenly disappear from the scene, leaving his projects incomplete. You might take some time but in the end you deliver. Thanks for that.

Edited by Salk
I know it might take some time for SR v4 but I trust you are that kind of modder that won't just suddenly disappear from the scene, leaving his projects incomplete. You might take some time but in the end you deliver. Thanks for that.

Hear hear!

I'm also interested by kit revision, it would be very interesing as current kits are seriously imbalanced.

I feel targeted by your description lol.

I'm also interested by kit revision, it would be very interesing as current kits are seriously imbalanced.

I feel targeted by your description lol.

Personally, I'm totally relaxed about being the kind of modder who might disappear at any minute :). We don't get paid for this, after all. That's why I don't usually announce projects until they're finished (IWD-in-BG2 is a bit of an exception on both counts, since it's a collaborative effort.)

I've just sent to cmorgan V3.1 but don't hold your breath for V4, with my times it won't be out so quickly! ;)

I had promised myself to wait until SR v4 before starting a fresh game, but I've failed my saving throw. Time to start a fresh game! Though since you just sent in 3.1, I suppose I can spend a few more days picking mods to install. How long does it usually take to be downloadable from the main page?

I also just wanted to thank you for all your work modding this game... You and the other modders taken a beautiful gem and managed to polish it into being even more amazing. I think back on my giddy delight when I beta'd Baldur's Gate back in mid 1998 (I still have the discs that Ray Muzyka burned off for me!) and now I don't think I'd ever devolve back to playing it unmodded for anything.

I've just sent to cmorgan V3.1 but don't hold your breath for V4, with my times it won't be out so quickly! ;)
I had promised myself to wait until SR v4 before starting a fresh game, but I've failed my saving throw. Time to start a fresh game! Though since you just sent in 3.1, I suppose I can spend a few more days picking mods to install. How long does it usually take to be downloadable from the main page?
I don't know how long does it take...for example now it's taking more than expected because gmail hates me (delivery failure) and cmorgan is too busy with real life. I've just sent the mod to Berelinde too, but I may upload it myself to a temporary host (as I did for IR V3 beta) if necessary.

I also just wanted to thank you for all your work modding this game... You and the other modders taken a beautiful gem and managed to polish it into being even more amazing. I think back on my giddy delight when I beta'd Baldur's Gate back in mid 1998 (I still have the discs that Ray Muzyka burned off for me!) and now I don't think I'd ever devolve back to playing it unmodded for anything.
You're welcome. :) It's indeed amazing how great this game can still be after so much time! Edited by Demivrgvs

The spell I'm most looking forward to in SR V4 is Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, since there aren't any 4th level attack spells that I really like. (Ice Storm has just never enthralled me, even in PnP days.)

I've found a temporary fix by installing just that spell from SpellPack Beta 6 from Blackwyrm Lair. Nice icon and it seems to work well if I install it post-SR. Not sure what else SpellPack changes though, since it seems to do a lot for just that one spell install...

Hi all, just some feedback and my opinon about:

Haste level 3 :

From my humble gamer experience, I do think that this spell remain overpowered.

The main problem is that this spell allow player to hit and run really easily. IA cannot do same and the player is clearly advantaged.

Especially combined with boots of rapidity, you can move around the map soooo fast that it allow multiples way of taking advantage of the speed during a fight.(many tricks that IA will never do)

Another consequence is that teleport spell appears ridiculous now that you can move from one side to another one of a map in 10 s.

Even without boots of rapidity, the ability to move fast remain powerfull and really underestimated Imo.

Others advantages of haste make this spell so attrative in comparaison to others level 3 spell :

- Can be cast quickly on all team (included summons and allied)

- Double the rate of regenerating. (so powerfull, especially on a charater with regenerating items)

- more ApR for all team. (it would be good to fix the only + 1/2 ApR though)

- +1 bonus bonus to attack roll,initiative, AC, savevs breath

- decent duration if used wisely.

Drawbacks are light in comparaison :

I don't know about a BG1 experience right now but in my current BG2 game, It's easy with a minimum of brain to suffer little from the winded effect ,managing to finish the fight before the end of the spell, casting long casting spell during the hasted period etc...

Poison effect is also doubled while hasted and can be a drawback but we ofen cure a poisoned hasted characted very quicly.

I would suggest that the spell haste level 3 provide only a little and symbolic bonus to movement rate (something like +1 or +2 not sure).

==> I think surely slow spell (level3) should deserve the same.

I would allow a double movement rate or slow effect only for spell affecting only one creature. (allowing to make these spell also more attractive).

Insect Plague level 5 :

About insect plague : I don't know about others players but I don't like the one round casting duration. I have not memorized this spell at all in my game. The vanilla casting time (5) was fine Imo.

Chaos level 5:

Again, from my gamer experience, I think the vanilla duration was fine. (5 rounds + 1every 6level). I actually play with the vanilla duration and enemy have ofen the time to recover from chaos effects. It's really fun when you must finish a mage before chaos takes end. Why only me complain about a 10 round duration? :p

Lower Resistance:

Maybe I am wrong but in vanilla, I remember that a string in the box indicated the amount of magic resistance lowered. Same for Pierce magic.

Edited by DrAzTiK

I agree with you about haste.

For a very long time, it has been an overpowered spell and still is.

Now, hit & run with haste and boots is a strategy I wouldn't use now because IA can't do anything about this.

Beside this problem, haste might powerful but enemies can use it too. Currently, very few mages use haste, at least in BG1.

It's clearly a bad spellbook conception, or maybe a choice to make the game easier for beginners?

Anyways, slow has been improved. I already liked it before and I use it even more now.

A big problem with those 2 spells is that together, they are too good. See enemies? Cast haste then slow, and eat them easily !

If you know they will use those spells, time them carefully and you will cancel their haste and cancel your own slow... Well, you win on both plans.

The thing is you can do so little about this poor IA.

Insect plague : between one round and casting time 5, there is only one? Doesn't make a big difference to me!

Chaos : I like new saving throws but I agree that duration is a bit long. It just mean a level 9 mage can disable a whole group for 1 turn (at low levels, it is hard to save at -4).

If that mage has allies, it is enough time to kill the whole party. 5 rounds was already long enough, you were in bad shape if chaos touched too many characters.

Hi all, just some feedback and my opinon about:

Haste level 3 :

From my humble gamer experience, I do think that this spell remain overpowered.

The main problem is that this spell allow player to hit and run really easily. IA cannot do same and the player is clearly advantaged.

Especially combined with boots of rapidity, you can move around the map soooo fast that it allow multiples way of taking advantage of the speed during a fight.(many tricks that IA will never do)

Another consequence is that teleport spell appears ridiculous now that you can move from one side to another one of a map in 10 s.

Even without boots of rapidity, the ability to move fast remain powerfull and really underestimated Imo.

Others advantages of haste make this spell so attrative in comparaison to others level 3 spell :

- Can be cast quickly on all team (included summons and allied)

- Double the rate of regenerating. (so powerfull, especially on a charater with regenerating items)

- more ApR for all team. (it would be good to fix the only + 1/2 ApR though)

- +1 bonus bonus to attack roll,initiative, AC, savevs breath

- decent duration if used wisely.

Drawbacks are light in comparaison :

I don't know about a BG1 experience right now but in my current BG2 game, It's easy with a minimum of brain to suffer little from the winded effect ,managing to finish the fight before the end of the spell, casting long casting spell during the hasted period etc...

Poison effect is also doubled while hasted and can be a drawback but we ofen cure a poisoned hasted characted very quicly.

I would suggest that the spell haste level 3 provide only a little and symbolic bonus to movement rate (something like +1 or +2 not sure).

==> I think surely slow spell (level3) should deserve the same.

I would allow a double movement rate or slow effect only for spell affecting only one creature. (allowing to make these spell also more attractive).

Insect Plague level 5 :

About insect plague : I don't know about others players but I don't like the one round casting duration. I have not memorized this spell at all in my game. The vanilla casting time (5) was fine Imo.

Chaos level 5:

Again, from my gamer experience, I think the vanilla duration was fine. (5 rounds + 1every 6level). I actually play with the vanilla duration and enemy have ofen the time to recover from chaos effects. It's really fun when you must finish a mage before chaos takes end. Why only me complain about a 10 round duration? :p

Lower Resistance:

Maybe I am wrong but in vanilla, I remember that a string in the box indicated the amount of magic resistance lowered. Same for Pierce magic.

Haste & Slow

From my humble gamer experience, I do think that this spell remain overpowered. ...
Well, this is a long story...but in short, I agree with a lot of your points. The doubled movement rate can be abused to exploit the poor AI, and being able to cast it on the entire party plus summons makes it extremely powerful for a 3rd lvl slot (the spell effectiveness is hugely dependent on how many allies can beneft from it).

I think there's also a particularly huge issue that needs to be mentioned: haste opcode causes all repeating effects to take place twice as fast, which can lead to some serious problems like Blade Barrier (or any aura-like effect) triggering twice as much per round. That can be almost game-breaking depending on which repeating EFFs are affected imo. The other side effect of this is the one you mentioned about regenerating and poison effects. The latter almost never affected my games, but the former can be actually quite OP if applied on chars with very high regeneration rate (e.g. even 7th lvl Regeneration spell becomes a monster if coupled with haste).

Now, long story short I'll just list what I was going to suggest and why:

- first of all, I thought about getting rid of the hardcoded haste/slow opcodes. I hope this doesn't clash with Detecable Spell system because it's pretty much mandatory for everything else

- with a custom sec type we could finally make Haste and Slow properly counter each other

- Haste should grant a lower movement rate bonus compared to improved haste imo (e.g. if Improve Haste remains +100% then Haste could grant +50%).

- if possible I'd like Haste and Slow spells to affect recipient's attack speed factor

- Slow should affect non-warriors characters too (chars with 1 apr are unaffected by the current Slow spell)

- Haste and Slow spells should not affect repeating EFFs, regeneration rate and poison hp loss rate

Insect Plague level 5 :

I'm not sure about this, mainly for two reasons:

- this is a summoning spell, and all summons currently takes a full round to be cast

- this spell is really devastating imo, and having a very long casting speed is there to partially balance it

Speaking of this spell, leaving aside its casting time, I'd like to have some feedback on these spells (insect spells in general) after the huge revision we applied to them.

Also note that I do intend to suggest making this spell ignore magic resitance (again, this is a summoning spell), and such change would further increase its potential (quite a lot actually!).

Chaos level 5:

I think I already answered to a similar request quite a few times. :) Yes, I'm fine reducing its duration, but my try dream would be to make this spell a little more different as I hate it to be a copy of Confusion. That being said, the lower duration tweak can also be applied to Confusion.

Lower Resistance:

To implement them I should add new strings, because the old ones don't cover all the % values. Edited by Demivrgvs

Haste & Slow

Now, long story short I'll just list what I was going to suggest and why:

- first of all, I thought about getting rid of the hardcoded haste/slow opcodes. I hope this doesn't clash with Detecable Spell system because it's pretty much mandatory for everything else

- with a custom sec type we could finally make Haste and Slow properly counter each other

- Haste should grant a lower movement rate bonus compared to improved haste imo (e.g. if Improve Haste remains +100% then Haste could grant +50%).

- if possible I'd like Haste and Slow spells to affect recipient's attack speed factor

- Slow should affect non-warriors characters too (chars with 1 apr are unaffected by the current Slow spell)

- Haste and Slow spells should not affect repeating EFFs, regeneration rate and poison hp loss rate

Could asking Ascension64 for some kind of decoupling from hardcoded effects via TobEx be an alternative?