SR V3

Demivrgvs

I also love this idea. Moreover, I think AoE fire spells (burning hand, (delayed) fireball, incendiary cloud, meteor swam) shoud be able to completely erase web effect from the area (they did so in ToEE, if I remember right).

It can be done only with completly revised Web's mechanics. As Galactycon probably did, it's about invisible creatures which have "web-aura", and these creatures could be immune to everything with exception of fire.

personally I'd prefer to stick to PnP

Usually me too, but always there's a bit of space for house rules. And term Revision means that there's always something interesting and new, even in sucha an classic spells as fireball. For Fireball, I'd personally love to see an additional effect of push away at epicenter of blow (very little radius but still). That would be incredibly cool. Or for Cone of Cold a little chance for freeze death. These changes aren't revolution, they're just evolution and without changing the whole spell system they give you new tactic possibilities.

personally I'd prefer to stick to PnP

Usually me too, but always there's a bit of space for house rules. And term Revision means that there's always something interesting and new, even in sucha an classic spells as fireball. For Fireball, I'd personally love to see an additional effect of push away at epicenter of blow (very little radius but still). That would be incredibly cool. Or for Cone of Cold a little chance for freeze death. These changes aren't revolution, they're just evolution and without changing the whole spell system they give you new tactic possibilities.

Freezing death: maybe you are thinking about critical hit of spells :wink.gif . First I assume that a lvl5 area-damaging spell shouldn't have very big chance to achieve an instant kill otherwise it would be too powerful; then imo it is more for fun/surprise than for tactical layout as it add more uncertainties to a battle. Anyway, I suggest a save vs. death at +x bonus :(

This spell deals less damage (Cone of Cold: 1d4+1/lvl, Fireball: 1d6/lvl) than 3rd level Fireball and have lesser AoE. Also, I usually know how to cast fireball to not get hurt, with CoC it isn't so obvious. I meant chance like 3-5%.

Yarpen, conceptually your suggestions are fine, but I usually prefer to stick with PnP, and that's why even for Righteous Magic I've searched everywhere for a PnP similar spell.

Anyway, I think what you say about elemental damage and secondary effects is somewhat already present within both SR and IR (though perhaps to a lesser extent), and we can probably continue on this direction.

Regarding Cone of Cold though I'm not sure I completely agree with you. It doesn't deal less damage, it actually deals the very same average damage till 10th caster level (with a better minimum damage), and then increases up to an outstanding 20d4+20. Personally I never used this spell only because of its cone shaped AoE, but in the right hands this spell should be quite powerful, isn't it? :(

Righteous Magic

I do like the concept of tying this spell to good, law and positive energy, the general idea I have is the following:

a) +4 STR, +2 to armor class. I'd personally leave out DEX which is already affected by DUHM and Champion's Strength.

b) the current +1hp/lvl (up to +20) is fine imo

c) I like this concept, do you? If we go with this I'd raise the damage (not too much though), and I'd allow a save. Should demons be affected too?

d) what about replacing "Max Damage" (which is exploitable by cleric/thieves with a far from righteous uber-backstab) with +1d6 magic damage on hit? I think it suits the Positive Energy concept (a la Holy Smite), and it can make this spell much more unique. We may have this damage affect only evil creatures, though this would only be for perfectionists.

d) Maybe 1d6 against evils and chaotics and 1d3 against neutrals, somewhat like how the Equalizer sword works?

Web

Fireballs setting mobs free of the entanglemant is sure an interesting move, as scorching everyone with a wizard and a couple of wands of Fire sometimes feels cheesy to me. If it'll come to be made I'll have to be more careful when 'shooting them to death' :(

I personally support strong fire removing organic effects such as Entangle and Web.

Also, following on from this sort of discussion, should Fire DoT AoE (Incendiary Cloud and so on) grant set 100% cold resistance for ALL creatures in range, cause it is simply too hot for icy spells such as CoC and Ice Storm to take effect properly?

Icen

Also, following on from this sort of discussion, should Fire DoT AoE (Incendiary Cloud and so on) grant set 100% cold resistance for ALL creatures in range, cause it is simply too hot for icy spells such as CoC and Ice Storm to take effect properly?

Not sure for Ice Storm, but for CoC, I think it is a strong jet of cold air that may dominate the area for the instant even Incendiary Cloud (which is more "mild") is present. Though the degree of coldness may be weaken by Incendiary Cloud, the greater temperature drop (say, 25C to -100C without Incendiary Cloud, and 500C to -50C with Incendiary Cloud) is unlikely to make the victim suffer less.

An Interjection:

Yesterday I played with Prismatic Spray. One victim was just too unlucky to fail both saves for feeblemind and maze effect. The result was, I had to wait dozens of minutes for the "idot" to escape from the maze (I forgot to sleep :D ) to grab his loot...

This inspired me sth about Imprison. In vanilla game it serves as an instant kill in certain degree, while Maze is the isolator. To avoid romance-breaking issues, Demi had changed it into a very very long duration maze, which means if I imprision a creature and sleep there, that creature would wake me up and attack me. What I suggest is to make Imprison into Feeblemind + permanent stun [+ INT modification] + Maze. Players can eliminate the creature for loot and XP with ease after a rest in bar :D , and imprisoned party members can be perfectly saved by Freedom from SR2.9 :(

Edit: I'm thinking whether we should force players to use Freedom to save their imprisoned companions. In vanilla game it is the only solution; in SR2.9 we need only to take a sleep before they come back; in my solution mentioned above a sleep plus a DM/Remove Paralysis/Free Action/Restoration will do. So shall we grant Imprison a unique immobilizing effect that only Freedom can cure?

About improved Haste :

How about modifying the spell so that it's no longer the "OMG I R DEALIN THE TEN ATTACKS §", but instead becomes a long-duration AoE haste spell with no fatigue ?

Improved haste favors fighters & Dual-wielding characters wayyyy too much.

Having improved haste last 5 turns, with no fatigue at the end of the spell would make it worth it, but not mandatory.

You could even give a small (+1) bonus to casting time for castersn making sure the spell is worth it's level 6 slot in comparision with the basic haste.

Dimension Door

I've re-implemented it, and it's now available in BG2 too. The only way this spell can be effective considering its spell level imo is to make its casting time instantaneous, and that's what I've done. Let me know if this feature is ok for you, as it may seem out of place considering no other spell has casting speed 0.

Improved Haste

About improved Haste :

How about modifying the spell so that it's no longer the "OMG I R DEALIN THE TEN ATTACKS §", but instead becomes a long-duration AoE haste spell with no fatigue ?

Improved haste favors fighters & Dual-wielding characters wayyyy too much.

Having improved haste last 5 turns, with no fatigue at the end of the spell would make it worth it, but not mandatory.

You could even give a small (+1) bonus to casting time for castersn making sure the spell is worth it's level 6 slot in comparision with the basic haste.

It seems this spell is considered too powerful by most players, and I don't like the "favors fighters & Dual-wielding characters wayyyy too much" aspect of it at all. Anyway I'm finishing to package SR V3 and changing this spell would require proper discussions (unless all of you suddenly agree on the very same solution), thus I think leaving further changes for add-ons or a V4 may be better, else I'll never be able to release V3. :(

Imprisonment

Yesterday I played with Prismatic Spray. One victim was just too unlucky to fail both saves for feeblemind and maze effect. The result was, I had to wait dozens of minutes for the "idot" to escape from the maze (I forgot to sleep ;) ) to grab his loot...

This inspired me sth about Imprison. In vanilla game it serves as an instant kill in certain degree, while Maze is the isolator. To avoid romance-breaking issues, Demi had changed it into a very very long duration maze, which means if I imprision a creature and sleep there, that creature would wake me up and attack me. What I suggest is to make Imprison into Feeblemind + permanent stun [+ INT modification] + Maze. Players can eliminate the creature for loot and XP with ease after a rest in bar :D , and imprisoned party members can be perfectly saved by Freedom from SR2.9 :D

Edit: I'm thinking whether we should force players to use Freedom to save their imprisoned companions. In vanilla game it is the only solution; in SR2.9 we need only to take a sleep before they come back; in my solution mentioned above a sleep plus a DM/Remove Paralysis/Free Action/Restoration will do. So shall we grant Imprison a unique immobilizing effect that only Freedom can cure?

This morning I've finally made the changes to intmod.2da file via patching and just that I was there I've changed it so that now you must rest three times before Imprisonment duration runs out (this should prevent unwanted reappearence even after a full 12 hours rest). Note that Imprisonment should actually be permanent, and the only reason it isn't permanent is for "user friendliness", on my first attempt at revising this spell I made it lasts 3600000 seconds (12000 in-game hours), which is the maximum duration allowed.

Dimension Door

Zero speed is imo the only reason to ever bother with it. Also, is it going to be free of line-of-sight limitation? I know it may lead to unwanted effects, but then again, even without that it already may break a trigger or two. Thus I guess, since it already goes without being said that users should pay attention when using the spell, paying a tiny bit more likely won't make a big difference.

I'd also increase the radius a little, maybe up to 2-3 times of the max range.

Dimension Door

Zero speed is imo the only reason to ever bother with it. Also, is it going to be free of line-of-sight limitation? I know it may lead to unwanted effects, but then again, even without that it already may break a trigger or two. Thus I guess, since it already goes without being said that users should pay attention when using the spell, paying a tiny bit more likely won't make a big difference.

Sounds fine with me.

Dimension Door

Mmm, actually I fear that making it work without LOS may considerably raise the chance to break the game in some occasions (e.g. teleporting on the other side of the door where you normally need a Mind Flyer to open it), whereas I don't have many situations in mind where a DD with LOS would cause serious issues. Am I wrong? :(

What do you mean by increasing its radius? :D

Power Word Sleep

I've just finished implementing it, but I have a little doubt, should this kind of sleep be "curable"? What I mean is, should I make an affected creature wake up when hit or we should consider this a more powerful version of sleep?

Dimension Door

.g. teleporting on the other side of the door where you normally need a Mind Flyer to open it
IIRC it doesn't cause bugs, only a mild inconsistency. My concern is that even with 0 casting speed it still takes a round before one cast another spell, so even as a mean of escape it won't help too much, especially with SCS's AI which loves to target the weakest party members like wizards, even if they do nothing offensive. And given it also makes a good use of Haste, either via spell or potion, 15 feets isn't really a safe distance.

Maybe an optional component then?

What do you mean by increasing its radius?
In the ability header. So that it's possible to DD two screens worth of space away, out of enemies' sight range. Of course, it won't work like that without the 'no LoS' flag on.
Power Word Sleep

I've just finished implementing it, but I have a little doubt, should this kind of sleep be "curable"? What I mean is, should I make an affected creature wake up when hit or we should consider this a more powerful version of sleep?

I would say the latter, so no waking up.

Please confirm also that Haste won't be changing to become a single targeted spell.

Archived