SR V3

Demivrgvs

Shadow Door

I don't understand, where's the problem?
I didn't either, until I run into it :D It was a fight against Bodhi's vamp swarm in the main chamber in Chapter 6. One of them (Tanova) had proven to be a real bitch, so I devised a plan to rush at her asap and kill her asap. Which obviously resulted in PC being trapped somewhere instead of hacking at her to the best of his ability.

Though it probably can be counted as a new tactic instead of annoyance. Which leads to a certain ambiguity -

If you want to talk about this
If you meant 'tell me about your problems and you'll feel better' then it apparently worked :(

Summon Shadow

Can level drain kill an opponent? And if so, does it also destroy that opponent's items?
Yeah, level drain can kill an opponent, and yes it can destroy the loot if you don't turn the gore option off.

Level drain, disintegration, petrification, and cold damage destroy the loot. A couple of mods try to work around some of these instances, but I highly recommend to simply turn the gore option off because it's the only solution completely "issue free". The gore option simply adds few visual effects for dramatic deaths (frozen, disintegrated, ...) but it doesn't add much to the gameply imo.

Shadow Door

I don't understand, where's the problem?
I didn't either, until I run into it :D It was a fight against Bodhi's vamp swarm in the main chamber in Chapter 6. One of them (Tanova) had proven to be a real bitch, so I devised a plan to rush at her asap and kill her asap. Which obviously resulted in PC being trapped somewhere instead of hacking at her to the best of his ability.

Though it probably can be counted as a new tactic instead of annoyance. Which leads to a certain ambiguity -

If you want to talk about this
If you meant 'tell me about your problems and you'll feel better' then it apparently worked :(
I'm glad you feel better now. :D Jokes aside, as you say what you've experienced is not supposed to be an annoyance but a new threat to your fighters and/or a new asset for your mage.
Guest Guest

Right, so best to turn Gore off. Nice and simple.

Regarding the innate abilities that NPCs get both in BG1 (Tutu/BGT) and BG2, do they get the SR versions e.g. will Branwen get your Spiritual Hammer in BG1?

Guest Guest

Demivrgvs, regarding post #78, I noticed that you have Dire Charm and Slow listed in the first post. I thought that maybe Dire Charm isn't ideal for the reasons already discussed, and Slow is a spell that I'll probably already have cast at the enemy (it's a staple for my party) so the ogre mage wouldn't have much use for it.

Do you really not like the suggestions and reasoning in post #78?

Oh, and regarding Spiritual Hammer, have you altered its damage and speed so it uses the same template as IR war hammers?

Shadow Door

...what you've experienced is not supposed to be an annoyance but a new threat to your fighters and/or a new asset for your mage.

You might consider nerfing the area effects saving throws a bit if it's too over encumbering or making it to grant an immunity to itself if the save succeeds for... a 6 seconds. This is to avoid multiple casters using it to warp the players and monsters melee attackers from hitting the mages.

NPCs Innate Abilities

Regarding the innate abilities that NPCs get both in BG1 (Tutu/BGT) and BG2, do they get the SR versions e.g. will Branwen get your Spiritual Hammer in BG1?
BG2 bhaalspawn innate abilities use SR spells since either V2 or V2.9 (I don't remember which one right now). I'm not an expert of BG1 NPCs innate abilities, I'll look into it. Generally speaking, I'm not affecting custom spells, unless I specifically want to, as I did for bhaalspawn innate abilities.

Monster Summoning III

Demivrgvs, regarding post #78, I noticed that you have Dire Charm and Slow listed in the first post. I thought that maybe Dire Charm isn't ideal for the reasons already discussed, and Slow is a spell that I'll probably already have cast at the enemy (it's a staple for my party) so the ogre mage wouldn't have much use for it.
Sorry, all these summons are driving me a little crazy. As I said it's fine for me to replace Dire Charm with another spell if it does suit the character.

Regarding Slow, I cannot take into account which spells your party usually have (I would have to do it for each player :( ). The Ogre Mage is supposed to have spells appropriate for him or his two followers, not to the need of your party, Slow and Haste are the more appropriate imo, but I may be wrong.

Regarding the other 3rd level spell, you've suggested either Vampiric Touch or Flame Arrow right? The latter at 6th level would be a single 4d6 arrow (useless by the time you can summon the Ogre Mage imo), the former may be cool instead, but it's quite tricky to implement imo as it's a strange sort of touch spell (the ogre may end up failing to cast it quite often), and it feels a little too much necromantic to me. Anyway, does any other player would like to "vote" on this matter? :D

Spiritual Hammer

Oh, and regarding Spiritual Hammer, have you altered its damage and speed so it uses the same template as IR war hammers?
No, but you're right, I will do it asap. Speaking of which, I never managed to decide if a spiritual weapon should deal magic damage or physical damage. The latter is more appropriate imo, but I fear it may cause a few balance/conceptual issues. For example magic damage bypasses most resistances, including golem resistances (which is fine only if we make the spiritual weapon affected by magic resistance as per PnP), and stoneskin effects.

Shadow Door

...what you've experienced is not supposed to be an annoyance but a new threat to your fighters and/or a new asset for your mage.
You might consider nerfing the area effects saving throws a bit if it's too over encumbering or making it to grant an immunity to itself if the save succeeds for... a 6 seconds. This is to avoid multiple casters using it to warp the players and monsters melee attackers from hitting the mages.

If players will feel the need to nerf it I'd opt for something like the latter solution, but it seems strange to me that you'll find yoursel surrounded by multiple casters (all within 5 feet from you) and casting many Shodow Doors at the same time. On paper the spell is quite balanced for a 5th level slot, but feedback from actual gameplay may prove me wrong, Shaitan and Ardanis for example may convince me to nerf it if they wish, as they have tested it in-game much more than me.
If players will feel the need to nerf it I'd opt for something like the latter solution, but it seems strange to me that you'll find yoursel surrounded by multiple casters (all within 5 feet from you) and casting many Shodow Doors at the same time. On paper the spell is quite balanced for a 5th level slot, but feedback from actual gameplay may prove me wrong, Shaitan and Ardanis for example may convince me to nerf it if they wish, as they have tested it in-game much more than me.

To me it seems a bit cheesy, they are using a 8th level spell for free at the same time they cast Shadow door :/ and also it can affect more than one person right? which even the 8th level version can't do :( still....i think maze is a useless spell anyway and so it doesn't particularly bother me

It sounds interesting. I'm all for any modification that makes a spell more interesting. Shadow Door definitely needed help, anyhow. As long as the maze-effect duration is substantially shorter than that of the spell Maze, it should not be too much of a balance issue as Shadow Door's effect is close-range.

I don't think we've got any balance issues with Shadow Door. It even works fine at lower levels in Tutu. The relatively short duration and the save vs. all in all makes this spell work proper IMO. Just like PNP.

I don't think we've got any balance issues with Shadow Door. It even works fine at lower levels in Tutu. The relatively short duration and the save vs. all in all makes this spell work proper IMO. Just like PNP.

Ahhh theres a save. I didn't realise! probably because its what... -4 penalty ala SR :(

Shadow Door

To me it seems a bit cheesy, they are using a 8th level spell for free at the same time they cast Shadow door :/ and also it can affect more than one person right? which even the 8th level version can't do :D still....i think maze is a useless spell anyway and so it doesn't particularly bother me

Well, the difference is that Shadow Door's effect lasts 1-4 rounds instead of (see below), allows a save, and has almost no range at all.

INT -- Maze duration

9-11 -- 4d4 rounds

12-14 -- 3d4 rounds

15-17 -- 2d4 rounds

18+ -- 1d4 rounds

I suppose fighters with INT hiher than 14 are incredibly rare, thus Maze duration for the 8th level spell is three or four times longer in most cases.

It sounds interesting. I'm all for any modification that makes a spell more interesting. Shadow Door definitely needed help, anyhow. As long as the maze-effect duration is substantially shorter than that of the spell Maze, it should not be too much of a balance issue as Shadow Door's effect is close-range.
:(

just an idea for balancing/nerfing PfMW that might also more significantly distinguish it.

have it grant (set, not increment) 100% physical damage resistance. the mage would still be vulnerable to those rightly-valued weapons that have effects like elemental damage or poison or stun, they just wouldn't be injured by them (much). it would basically act as an infinite number of stoneskins for the duration of the spell.

Archived