Bugs/Issues & Hotfixes for SR V3

Demivrgvs

Spell Turning

For some reason Spell Turning just doesn't work right. If someone is protected by Spell Turning and I cast spells at them, the spells rebound to me. But the converse doesn't happen.
Spell Deflection/Turning are hardcoded opcodes, thus their behaviour is unchanged within SR.

Btw, as Incantar says you'll hardly ever notice it because the AI pretty much never cast spells to a protected caster (which is why we proposed to change these spells for V4).

Knock

Damage doesn't work at all. Timing set to Instant Limited instead of Instant Permanent
Strange, I'm pretty sure it worked. Anyway, I'll test it asap and fix if necessary.

Summoned Fiends

I realize that you changed the fiend spells description.

What is changed in the mechanics? I seem to have 100% probability for friendly casting now and the eff file seems to indicate the same.

They currently work more or less as vanilla's elementals. You have 15% chance to fail keeping the demon under your control.

Summoned FiendsThey currently work more or less as vanilla's elementals. You have 15% chance to fail keeping the demon under your control.

Ok, you changed the description before the mechanics then (Charisma, CL, etc. having effect). Could be misleading.

Armor

Invoker is listed as exclusion flag. Why? He has Enchantment as opposite school not Conjuration.

Dimension Door

Don't you think spell lvl 4 is a bit high for what it does? One time jump in LOS. Really, i would set it to lvl 1. Just compare it to Expeditious Retreat - it is worse!

Knock

It works just as described in my install.

Agannazar's Scorcher, Burning Hands and Color Spray

Why the "Pause Caster" effect? This is a serious disadvantage, standing in the front and being stunned. I would remove it.

Monster Summoning II

It's just my opinion, but i feel Monster Summoning I is more useful than II. The Hobgoblins have 2 ranged attacks and cleric casting abilities. The Gnoll's AC is just one point better. They are pretty lousy fighters with Thac0 15 and one ApR. I don't cast it.

Prot from X

I still feel lvl 5 is too high. You get 4 lvl 5 spells in one lvl 7 spell! That's not feeling right.

Most of the following probably belongs to the feedback topic rather than bugs one. :) If you don't mind I may move them sooner or later so we can continue to discuss them without going too much off topic. Anyway...

Armor

Invoker is listed as exclusion flag. Why? He has Enchantment as opposite school not Conjuration.
Thanks for reporting it, exclusion flag should be Diviners. Fixed.

Dimension Door

Don't you think spell lvl 4 is a bit high for what it does? One time jump in LOS. Really, i would set it to lvl 1. Just compare it to Expeditious Retreat - it is worse!
Even with no LOS limit I would rarely memorize it in a 4th lvl slot, I simply kept its vanilla BG1/PnP slot. I already planned to suggest moving it to a much lower lvl for V4. :)

Knock

It works just as described in my install.
Ok, I'll double check as soon as I get back home (tonight) before sending an already packaged new version for upload.

Agannazar's Scorcher, Burning Hands and Color Spray

Why the "Pause Caster" effect? This is a serious disadvantage, standing in the front and being stunned. I would remove it.
Mmm, I don't remember but those pauses could be "necessary" to keep the animation smooth. I'll look into it if I have time to some actual playtesting.

Monster Summoning II

It's just my opinion, but i feel Monster Summoning I is more useful than II. The Hobgoblins have 2 ranged attacks and cleric casting abilities. The Gnoll's AC is just one point better. They are pretty lousy fighters with Thac0 15 and one ApR. I don't cast it.
MS spells will indeed be revised for V4, but you do have a point. Even if gnolls are more though hobgoblin's may end up being more versatile and usefull. This is one of those case where a lot of playtesting/feedback is necessary because I only did some test and paper comparison back then.

Prot from X

I still feel lvl 5 is too high. You get 4 lvl 5 spells in one lvl 7 spell! That's not feeling right.
Mmm...I'm not sure I agree. Full immunity to fire in particualr would be too much and too cheap for a low lvl character imo.

Animate Dead - Create Undead

Frankly i find the lvl 3 version to be much better than the lvl 6 version. Magic Resistance, movement speed and fighting capabilities speak all for Skeleton Warriors. The latter lasting 8 hours instead of 30 rounds.
This has always bugged me, and the problem is that this damn BG made players believe that an uber summon like Skeleton Warrior can belong to a 3rd lvl spell rather than a 6th lvl one (if not 7th). I do wanted to handle this somehow for V4, but the issue is Animated Dead is too powerful.

Animate Dead - Create Undead

Frankly i find the lvl 3 version to be much better than the lvl 6 version. Magic Resistance, movement speed and fighting capabilities speak all for Skeleton Warriors. The latter lasting 8 hours instead of 30 rounds.
This has always bugged me, and the problem is that this damn BG made players believe that an uber summon like Skeleton Warrior can belong to a 3rd lvl spell rather than a 6th lvl one (if not 7th). I do wanted to handle this somehow for V4, but the issue is Animated Dead is too powerful.

Couldn't the SW be moved to Create Undead? Hmm.

Hakeashar (and maybe Nishruu) : not immune to magic damage, don't die to dispel magic as it would but get healed by spells. I don't understand why it doesn't work on my install...
Mmm...very strange. The mechanism is simple: they have 20 dispellable points into Detect Illusion thanks to their equipped "weapon", and a block in their script which makes them self kill if that stat is lower than 20. I'll look into it.

The plan was more or less that. ;)
Hakeashar (and maybe Nishruu) : not immune to magic damage, don't die to dispel magic as it would but get healed by spells. I don't understand why it doesn't work on my install...
Mmm...very strange. The mechanism is simple: they have 20 dispellable points into Detect Illusion thanks to their equipped "weapon", and a block in their script which makes them self kill if that stat is lower than 20. I'll look into it.

The plan was more or less that. ;)

Nishruus work fine here. (Only FixP, IR, SR installed)

Do note that single versions last much longer than 7th and 8th spells do.

ProElements, though, does seem to deserve to be lowered to 2 rounds/level duration, ala ProEnergy.

Lastly, haven't we decided to make 5th versions a single spell with selection menu, or I confuse it with smth else?

Archived