BG: Canon NPCs vs. Mod NPCs

Conners

And that's my point: for every player, it will be a different mod.

I'm not presuming to know everyone or every existing mod, but there is a group of mods that suffer from 'this NPC is always right' syndrome. It's notable since a bunch of mods give the NPC a flaw or two and arrange NPC-NPC dialogues that don't include the mod-NPC running down everyone during every single dialogue.

(Aside Edwin, but that's just who he is, throughout BG 1 and 2 and he's silly about that so he can be forgiven).

However, tastes differ, discussing that is pointless (hopeless and doomed to fail too).

On a side note, is there any mod that includes the mod-NPC chaning alignment, behaviour and the like? I was trying to find one, but, ironic as it is, the only NPC that came to my mind was Anomen (though it's mostly because of his joining of the Order or not).

I guess I just keep coming back to feeling like mods are building blocks extending the core game not because people thought they were better than the original writers and designers, but because the product of the original was immersive enough that their imagination and excitement was engaged.
Well, my motivation, whenever I mod a game, is that I'm unhappy about it's balance, be that some either totally useless yet pretty looking or outright broken skills in Diablo 2, ridiculously pathetic enemies in later stages of Fallout Tactics and Might and Magic, etc. The more I like the game, the more I'm usually getting upset about things they could have done better in my favorite game but didn't for whatever reason, so 'if you want something done, do it yourself'.
Well, my motivation, whenever I mod a game, is that I'm unhappy about it's balance, be that some either totally useless yet pretty looking or outright broken skills in Diablo 2, ridiculously pathetic enemies in later stages of Fallout Tactics and Might and Magic, etc. The more I like the game, the more I'm usually getting upset about things they could have done better in my favorite game but didn't for whatever reason, so 'if you want something done, do it yourself'.
I get the exact same feeling O_O. That's why I've been learning coding to make my own games (and sometimes mods).

BTW, I think Shar-Teel goes on my list of least-favourite characters... The man-hater aspect was interesting. However, she really completely intolerant of anything you do. It's one thing to have a big tough character, and another thing when they leave the party or attack you (getting slaughtered) if you don't treat them with the greatest respect (if she was the sort who liked shouting and insulting matches, I'd probably like her).

This doesn't reflect on the modders who expanded Shar-Teel, or Black Isle. She's quite a realistic person in a number of ways--just that I don't like those sorts of people.

Out of the original bioware NPC's, my favorite is Jaheira.....shes blunt, knows what she wants and doesnt take any crap....and as u find out in BGII, does have a soft side. Whenever I make a party for bgII, shes always in it (as i find it hard to kick her out).

I also like Dynaheir's attitude, and most of her comments when u click on her. As for Misnc, didnt really like him in bg1, but in bg2 his "lack of stability" is a nice touch to the game, and boo of course.

The only other BG1 npc's i used were Xan, Kivan, Alora and Shar-Teel.......Im not a fan of evil characters in general, but i do at least give them a chance. Eldoth is everything i hate about men, so when i used him in bg1 i wound up killing him myself for his arrogance and mistreatment of Skie...Edwin i found quite humerous and so when i saw he was part of bgII, i figured i leave him to be dealt with by Minsc.

Since i dont play BG1 anymore i dont have any mods for it. So i cant comment on any of them.

As for BG2 npcs, the first female i romanced was Aerie......i found it to be good overall, but after playing her thru tob, i figured once was enough so i dont use her anymore.

Nalia is one of the ones i liked, shes a decent mage, and i usally always have a fighter style PC so i do her Stronghold most of the time. I like how she matures more in TOB.

Only other stronghold ive ever completed was the bard one. Haer-Dalis gets on my nerves to much to keep ard, plus his comment abt selling Jaheira i didnt like. As for Cernd i think he was just lacking more content for the character itself. Id rate Valygar, Mazzy and Keldorn as average characters, never played them for long other then V's Planar sphere Q and Mazzys rescue. Ive played every Bioware NPC for BG2 except for Anomen, the first time i met him his voice gave me the creeps and as hes the Only romancable male for Females, I decided to just ignore him altogether,,,,,lol so in the 13 years BGII has been out ive talked to him Once.

As for modded Npcs, Ive played Amber, Yasrena, Tsujatha, Saileth and Auren Aseph all the way thru.....waiting for the tob content for Amber and am playing Tsujatha agian to hopefully gt a Epilogue this time. Ive also tried Sarah, Tyris Flare, Chloe, Tashia, Xan and Kivan......though havent completed a game with any of them yet. I myself would love to learn how to make a Npc as ive got many ideas for one.......i use my npc idea as my PC alot.....helps to see all the interactions in the game....maybe someday

Since i dont play BG1 anymore i dont have any mods for it. So i cant comment on any of them.
Well, you could use the EasyTutu or BGT-WeiDU to use the BG1's data in BG2 game... and their mods to have moded BG1+BG2 game. Those just require a clean BG1 install(to make them, you can then uninstall the BG1 game).

Not that this thread wasn't old, but you said, so I replied...

Hmm, tough question. It's been a while since I played BG1...I should get it back from my brother :)

For BG1 mods, Xan is my #1 favorite :) . Imoen was delightfully mischievous, I enjoyed Gavin and Kivan, umm...that's all I can really remember right now. I think there were a few more I liked...Oh, Khalid, Ajantis, and Quayle(sp?)

For BG2 I've played a LOT of mods...But my current favorites are Tsujatha(duh! A masterpiece ), Neh'Taniel, Ajantis, Gavin, Haldamir(He's gorgeous, and I love his attitude!), Xan(An incredibly touching romance)...and the Sarevok romance, which was an incredible masterpiece might I add!

I havn't really tried any of the female NPC mods yet, but they are coming up on my list :goodwork:

Since it wont let me edit my own posts, I'll start with my biggest pet peeve! NPCs who are on a full name basis. Not NPCs with last names, but NPCs who are last named in their character file/dialogue/inventory/etc. The only Bioware NPC with a second word even in their name would probably be Shar-Teel and even her last name isn't in her selection file. But for instance there are several megamod NPCs that tend to do this. It feels so unfitting with the world.

You mean Haer'Dalis is a nickname? He must have been teased horribly as a child. But yeah, characters that have even have last names, Keldorn Firecam, Mazzy Fentan, Ajantis Ilvastarr, Anomen Delryn, Valygar Corthala, Shar-Teel Dosan, all go by first names on their character record pages.

And if that's what you meant about NPCs you dislike, I'll breath a sigh of relief now. I was afraid that it just might turn into a flame war. Let's make sure that doesn't happen.

Imoen's the best NPC. Sweet, funny, innocent, cute, sexy and a virgin (besides the Duergar rape [Romance Mod])

The emotional baggage and tension that goes with being raised as siblings and being best mates and companions throughout BG 1 and then suddenly becoming lovers after a traumatic kidnap and rescue makes for a dramatic, satisfying role-playing experience. Imoen is epic.

Archived