Why does the Tweakpack replace various components of the Fixpack?

Franpa

I am not sure I understand your question...

BG2 Fixpack and BG2 Tweaks are two different mods.

Fixpack goes at the start of an install, and corrects bugs/fixes errors/tries to support and follow developer intent.

Tweakpack goes at or close to the end of an install, and makes subjective tweaks to the ruleset, animations, etc., changing the game and customizing it the way a player would like.

Both have different versioning, independent of eachother.

Well I installed the Fix Pack first followed by the Tweak Pack. When installing the Tweak Pack I went through every option/component and for several I chose NO to, it reinstalled them.
"It reinstalled them", what was this "it" ?

Yeah, the BG2 Fixpack when its uninstalled first uninstalls all the mods after it was installed, then reinstalls them, as the mods backs up the files it replaces(in most cases) so it can then be uninstalled without the hassle of needing a reinstall of the whole game...

Yeah, when you install a new version of a previously installed mod, you actually first uninstall the previously installed mod(and the mods before it) from the backups, then install the components you choose and then the installer reinstalls the mods it had previously installed.

It says that it uninstalls them because they are old then installs it again with (Version 9) in brackets appearing after the components name when it begins the installation process.

I just expected the common components between the Fix Pack and Tweak Pack would be of the same version as both packages are at version 9.

Common Components refers to MODs that are present in both packages (Fix and tweak). The tweak pack upgraded several as I went through it's options choosing No for the ones I didn't want.

So Tweakpack asked if I wanted a MOD installed, I said No, Tweakpack upgrades MOD without question.

I thought I'd try the widescreen mod one more time to check something, here is an excerpt of the log indicating it is reinstalling stuff unrelated to the widescreen MOD, not sure how it's re-integrating changes that the Widescreen mod doesn't have. Something similar happened when installing the Tweak MOD after having installed the Fix Pack. How do these packages integrate themselves with each other? as that does seem to be what they are doing else they wouldn't be aware of the other MODs presence.

Edit: I'll upload the debug log.

http://www.mediafire.com/?0xkk9s8434s2423

I think you have gotten something utterly wrong somewhere.

If you install the Fixpack with or without every component and the DOS window has closed when done you should now be able to install other mods in the same manner.

If you ie uninstalles the fixpack but don't touch the tweakpack it will first uninstall the tweakpack then uninstall the fixpack and last install the tweakpack, ok?

Install Fixpack

Install Tweakpack

Uninstall Fixpack

Uninstaller uninstalls Fixpack and Tweakpack and then installs Tweakpack. Okay, got ya. So all the packages are aware of each other and are able to automatically re-optimize the install sequence should any change occur such as uninstall/install of an existing or new mod to ensure that everything is installed in the correct order, right?

Install Fixpack

Install Tweakpack

Uninstall Fixpack

Uninstaller uninstalls Fixpack and Tweakpack and then installs Tweakpack. Okay, got ya. So all the packages are aware of each other and are able to automatically re-optimize the install sequence should any change occur such as uninstall/install of an existing or new mod to ensure that everything is installed in the correct order, right?

Exactly like I said:
Well I installed the Fix Pack first followed by the Tweak Pack. When installing the Tweak Pack I went through every option/component and for several I chose NO to, it reinstalled them.
"It reinstalled them", what was this "it" ?

Yeah, the BG2 Fixpack when its uninstalled, it first uninstalls all the mods that were installed after it was installed, then reinstalls them, as the mods backs up the files it replaces(in most cases) so it can then be uninstalled without the hassle of needing a reinstall of the whole game...

Yeah, when you install a new version of a previously installed mod, you actually first uninstall the previously installed mod(and the mods after it) from the backups, then install the components you choose and then the installer reinstalls the mods it had previously installed.

everything is installed in the correct order

Yes, but it's more a matter of "restoring the clean game after deinstall":

Every mod back-ups the files it changes, to be able to make a clean deinstall. With several mods installed, this leads to the following:

First mod saves back-ups of the original game files of the ones it alters.

Second mod saves back-ups of the files it alters from the modded game (with the changes of mod 1).

Third mod saves the game files with changes from mod 1 and 2.

And so on.

If you now want to deinstall mod 2, it can't just replace the game files with its back-up files, as these do not have the changes from mod three onward.

Thus, upon deinstalling, all mods installed after the one you want to deinstall get first deinstalled, then reinstalled, leaving the game with only the one mod deinstalled.

Archived