New spell icons for SR4

Pacek

A few new spells up: Dimension Step, Dimension Door (I remade it because the old is boring, and to tie it properly with Dimension Step), Gedlee's Electric Loop (Based on IWD2's), Snillic's Snowball Swarm (brand new, I don't like IWD's) and Icelance (currently almost identical to Ice Dagger.

Also I redid Fog Cloud.

Colours should be spot on now.

@Ardanis, If you end up using Ice Dagger I'll revisit the design.

Thank you to everyone who likes them so far!

I'd take them all without 2nd thought when you compare to some old mod-added spell bams, sometimes just ported from other games (NWM/IWD usually) or just plain ugly and complete mismatch in the spellbook. Nice job, though I'm wondering why are you making icons for spells not confirmed for V4 yet? Isn't it settled yet?

Gedlee - pure win, no less.

Fog Cloud - imo the former 2nd icon was better.

Ice Lance - turn it 180' maybe, so it points upwards? Also, maybe roughen the lance with few pixels, to show it is made of ice?

You may already be aware of it, but in case you are not, Miloch's BAM Batcher tool also ships blank spell icons, so that you only need to make one image and then photoshop it over A, B and C backgrounds.

@Ardanis I fear I may have destroyed the former Fog Cloud, stupid I know. I'll have a dig around. Thanks for the tip on Bam Batcher, I actually made my own blanks, but their's may be just a little better. As for Icelance, I think pointing the lance upwards goes against the the grain for a missile spell, do you agree? (Where possible I want to try and emulate the original art). I do agree it could look more "icy" though.

As for Gedlee's Electric Loop, am I right in thinking it's a Fireshield-style defensivise spell, and so should be blue?

I forgot to comment on some of the previous update, let's recap:

- Conjure Elementals: very nice, though I wonder what you would have done if we also had water elementals there ;)

- Dimension Step/Door: I like the way the two bams indicate the multi-use of the upgraded version.

- Electric Loop: perfect

- Snowball Swarm: I'm not in love but I don't have any better idea

- Icelance: more or less fine imo

- Phantasmal Killer: it's indeed a little cartoonish (maybe just the "head-eyes" part, don't know) but I really like it

- Vitriolic Sphere: this is the only one I don't like, for some reason I see a turnip or an onion there :D

Overall, very good job. :)

Well I tried another phantasmal killer, but I'm afraid it's not much improvementpost-4292-0-04680000-1340792161.png. Open to all suggestions.

Demi, I think Vitriolic sphere says moe "cabbage" than turnip or onion. Which is fine if you hate cabbage isn't it?

There won't be water elementals will there??

Well I tried another phantasmal killer, but I'm afraid it's not much improvementpost-4292-0-04680000-1340792161.png. Open to all suggestions.
I like this version slightly more. @Salk, it's somewhat cartoonish yes, but if I look at Spook's icon I feel more or less the same, don't you?

Demi, I think Vitriolic sphere says moe "cabbage" than turnip or onion. Which is fine if you hate cabbage isn't it?
Cabbage indeed! :D Anyway, I think I'd make the orb less "irregular".

There won't be water elementals will there??
No because the only animation which could be used (the one used by aVENGER) doesn't perfectly fit imo, and it doesn't even have a lesser version, not to mention that afaik PnP water elementals are not supposed to be summonable within 90% of BG areas.

@Salk, it's somewhat cartoonish yes, but if I look at Spook's icon I feel more or less the same, don't you?

You're right about it and Spook's icon is the ugliest there is in the whole pack of spell icons. Instead of adding another clash in style I'd rather have Pacek invent a new icon for Spook. :)

The first Phantasmal Killer is better Nah, the 2nd is better. It may be cartoon, but I think that's fine, because it is an illusion meant to scare the life out of victim - I imagine in DnD world a death reaper is a fine reason to believe your life is about to end.

PS

Water Elementals can be added if Infinity Animations is installed, it has both lesser and regular IWD animation. But it should be noted that water elementals can only be summoned near water, and the latter is not always true, so we may be better off without them.

Well another Phantasmal Killer attempt: post-4292-0-84103100-1340838605.png better I think.

Also I took Salk up on his suggestion. Spook: post-4292-0-19918400-1340840956.png What is the original one meant to be anyway? I could never figure it out.

...and Vitriolic Sphere gets a workout: post-4292-0-92522700-1340855416.png post-4292-0-21743500-1340857831.png

Really, Pacek, you have positively surprised me with the new icons.

I really like your version of Spook much better than the original and the redone Vitriolic Spheres are both very nice (I have a slight preference for the one on the left).

Thumbs up for the new Phantasmal Killer icon as well! It's really nice!

Thanks!

Archived