Does anyone know the current status of the BWS?

Ser Elryk

The documentation is there and the Romantic Encounters (as the mentioned example) has been updated both in bws (not really needed) and in the bwpfixpack. Everything is there for people to try updating things themselves. And don't forget that some mods don't need to be updated, as the autoupdate when you start bws will find the new version.

I'll make bwpfixpack more lenient, to make things even simpler, but windows support is a pita.

So, BWS don't needs mere version updates but needs updates of mod subcomponent changes and compatibility restrictions etc, exactly the things I don't know how to do?

A guest poster at SHS mentioned the built in GUI to edit mods as described here, but I have no experience with it yet.

I have studied the tutorial (I think it is the same in jastey's post http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28740&page=8&do=findComment&comment=253756)

namely

https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup/raw/master/BiG%20World%20Setup/Docs/faq.htm#add_or_modify_mods

I still have two new mods I submitted some days prior BWS support end via the template but which did not make it into BWS anymore.

One should be easy - or so I thought - the only requirement it has was that the game needs to be EET

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/59181-mod-sod-banter-restoration-for-eet/

The other is tricky from my point of view

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/59256-mod-expanded-thief-stronghold-for-eet/

Again it is for EET only - but there is an original mod for the old game and on top the old mod requires BWF while the EET version already includes all the changes. Furthermore it has two additional components which should be selected per default but which do not exist in the old mod.

I could not find much in the tutorial about how I (a complete idiot) could safely add those mods to BWS.

Does it even make sense to add new stuff at this time or will it make the tool even more unstable?

Roxanne, is the tool unstable at all? Anyway, I doubt adding mods could affect that.

For the banter mod, you'll have to be more verbose. What exactly did you try and where can it be seen?

For the other one, I guess a new mod entry needs to be added. They'll be mutually exclusive through game flags, so there would be no conflict.

Quick question, when/where would you install 'SOD banter restoration' manually? After EET or in the BG1/SOD folder?

After EET, very late in the BG2EE part (after all dialog adding mods are installed - ideally right prior EET_end). It requires EET, it will not install on BGEE/SoD alone since EET creates the campaign reference files like BDBanter.2da etc that are needed.

Does it even make sense to add new stuff at this time or will it make the tool even more unstable?

Adding mods won't make BWS more unstable but without some sort of knowledge about compatibility with all of the mods, it might cause not-so-optimal install order. That is why when you adding a mod into BWS, you have to do research at which point you will put it for the install order.

Roxanne, is the tool unstable at all? Anyway, I doubt adding mods could affect that.

For the banter mod, you'll have to be more verbose. What exactly did you try and where can it be seen?

For the other one, I guess a new mod entry needs to be added. They'll be mutually exclusive through game flags, so there would be no conflict.

I used the mod request template http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58006-big-world-setup-mod-request-template/?do=findComment&comment=576185 provided by Alien. It creates a number of files for the mods.

I tried to figure out where to put them in the BWS structure but apperently the mods also need to be referenced iin other parts of the program. I have no idea.

On top of that, the programming language used (even if basic for you guys) is already too much for me. It is similar to Near Infinity, I can use it perfectly but I cannot add to its code. I simply have to accept the fact that modding and maintaining the support programs are different pairs of shoes.

@jastey: Because of the code changes and additional information which were added to internal BWS files (like for eg: "Area_Patcher 2002 problem addressed by this does not exist in EE") adding mods to BWS by using BWS GUI will destroy internal BWS files ( all I did was adding SodBanter mod, yet many other lines were removed). So it is currently impossible to add mods to BWS via GUI but it doesn't mean that the GUI-way was easier/better. In fact it was a lot worse than editing files via notepad.

So adding mods via BWS ADmin-GUI is no go at this time.

I could not find much in the tutorial about how I (a complete idiot) could safely add those mods to BWS.

Don't be so hash on yourself. There is no tutorial about adding mods via manual editing of the files.

I tried to figure out where to put them in the BWS structure but apperently the mods also need to be referenced iin other parts of the program. I have no idea.

For SoD Banter Restoration, if you used my tool, do the following:

- put the SodBanter.ini into BiG World Setup\Config\Global

- open SodBanter-select-EET.ini

- open \BiG World Setup\Config\BG2EE\Select.txt, add lines from SodBanter-select-EET.ini above line 2553

that's all to see mod at the mod list, conflict and dependences are another story.

On top of that, the programming language used (even if basic for you guys) is already too much for me.

The language which was used to create BWS is called AutoIt and it's the worst garbage which I've ever used. But 10 years ago it was good and it was used to make job done.

@jastey: Because of the code changes and additional information which were added to internal BWS files (like for eg: "Area_Patcher 2002 problem addressed by this does not exist in EE") adding mods to BWS by using BWS GUI will destroy internal BWS files ( all I did was adding SodBanter mod, yet many other lines were removed). So it is currently impossible to add mods to BWS via GUI but it doesn't mean that the GUI-way was easier/better. In fact it was a lot worse than editing files via notepad.

So adding mods via BWS ADmin-GUI is no go at this time.

Don't be so hash on yourself. There is no tutorial about adding mods via manual editing of the files.

For SoD Banter Restoration, if you used my tool, do the following:

- put the SodBanter.ini into BiG World Setup\Config\Global

- open SodBanter-select-EET.ini

- open \BiG World Setup\Config\BG2EE\Select.txt, add lines from SodBanter-select-EET.ini above line 2553

that's all to see mod at the mod list, conflict and dependences are another story.

On top of that, the programming language used (even if basic for you guys) is already too much for me.

The language which was used to create BWS is called AutoIt and it's the worst garbage which I've ever used. But 10 years ago it was good and it was used to make job done.

I followed your instructions for the SoD Banter mod. I have it locally on my Smartgit clone but no way to get it up to bitbucket (Iget authentification errors all the time).

Archived