Future tweak ideas - post 'em here

Yes - point 1 is that the BP mechanism is designed for BP itself, and it operates at last in part by character and area scripts.  Those character scripts are problematic outside the context of BP. My mod adjusts the mechanism to rely less on those scripts, since the intent is for BG characters with no such scripts to venture into and back out of BP. So the technique in the mod is a step toward generalizing the proposed “no real death unless TPK” mechanic.

Point 2: even with my mod though, the BP behavior still relies on other scripts, e.g. any party members who pseudo-died are “resurrected” via an area script when they return to the waiting area between fights. This would have to be generalized, as I say probably into BALDUR.bcs. But that would be touchy. 

Point 3: if you get that right, there is still the question of how to protect everyone and make then subject to the pseudo-death mechanism. BP does this via undroppable rings, and my mod expands on their use for this purpose. But that fits the lore of being captured and sent to the fighting pits. You can’t use an equipment slot for this in a non-BP game. Very theoretically you could apply a permanent effect to all joinable NPCs’ .cre files, and to Charname via script in certain select starting areas. This, again, would be touchy. And the consequences of it going awry would be severe, as dying is one of the most fundamental game mechanics. 

So, there is a path to get there from here. And what I’ve done might serve as a shortcut for one step on that path. But it would still be a major undertaking, for which I have neither time nor enthusiasm. (I really disliked the “take a knee” mechanic in NWN2 for example.)

Ages ago I coded Tracking to be a level one, at-will innate for IWDification. I didn't release it as there's only tracking info for ToB areas--having a ton of "no info" as you wander around BG and SoA seemed fairly pointless. It will be in the next IWDification release since @Lava wrote up a ton of nice, IWD-style tracking blurbs for all of the BG areas.

Surely my last bottle in the sea but it could be nice to allow  face and side  backstab coz  positioning behind enemies everytime you want to make a backstab need some boring  micro managements, especially in BG2/TOB potion of the game.

farewell friends

Edited by DrAzTiK

To complement this component:

"Breakable Iron Non-Magical Shields, Helms, and Armor"

For completeness and consistency sake, a secondary supporting component should replace regular non-magical shields, helms and armors in Thunderhammer Smithy with non-breakable quality shields, helms and armor after the "Vial of Mysterious Liquid" (i.e., "The Tainted Ore") quest line is completed, (as counterparts to the quality weapons that become available after completing the quest.)

Edited by ktchong

Two components:

• Recoverable Ammunition [argent77]

and

• Recoverable Throwing Weapons [argent77]

... should have additional supporting components that automatically put recovered ammo or throwing weapons back into their ammo/weapon slots (instead of the backpack) as they are being collected and recovered, (i.e., arrows go back into the ammo slot with other arrows of the same type, throwing axes/darts/knives back into the weapon slot from which they were thrown.)

Right now, one has to pick up and recover the ammo or throwing weapons, which go into inventory slots in the backpacks.  Then, have to open the inventory screens to move the ammo back into the ammo slot, move  throwing weapons back into the  weapon slot.  And have to do it over and over again after every battle for every character that uses an ammo or  thrown weapon. 

Edited by ktchong
On 3/1/2024 at 6:49 PM, ktchong said:

To complement this component:

"Breakable Iron Non-Magical Shields, Helms, and Armor"

For completeness and consistency sake, a secondary supporting component should replace regular non-magical shields, helms and armors in Thunderhammer Smithy with non-breakable quality shields, helms and armor after the "Vial of Mysterious Liquid" (i.e., "The Tainted Ore") quest line is completed, (as counterparts to the quality weapons that become available after completing the quest.)

These assets already exist in the BGEE:

Quality Helmet (Not used in the games)

High Quality Medium Shield (Used in BGEE: Siege of Dragonspear)

High Quality Large Shield (not used in the games)

Edited by ktchong
Guest Battlemage

Hey there! I recently downloaded the Tweaks Anthology for BG:EE and I have been loving it so far. So much so that I had a little idea for a new sub-component! 

I love playing Fighter/Mages (and F/M/Ts, and F/M/Cs), and the "Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Armor" component has been very helpful to achieve the fantasy of a warrior-mage (one of my favorite types of characters, probably because 5e was my introduction to D&D, and you can cast in armor with no penalty if you're proficient in it). But I will say, the miscast chance can get pretty annoying, especially if you're using a shield and anything more protective than leather. 

With that in mind, I hoped that a new option could be added to the "Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Armor"? Like say "1 = Allow with miscast. 2 = Allow without miscast."

I know it might feel cheat-y to let mages walk around in full plate, but "Convenience Tweaks and/or Cheats" is a category after all, and I think it would fit nicely with the other stuff in there!

Thanks for hearing me out!

1 hour ago, Guest Battlemage said:

With that in mind, I hoped that a new option could be added to the "Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Armor"? Like say "1 = Allow with miscast. 2 = Allow without miscast."

You could try this, it has user-configurable settings to set up armor exactly how you want.