NTotSC for EET (and BGT and BG:EE) - Download

18 hours ago, jastey said:

@Fishmalk thanks! Did Yness and the Fisherman for Brandock's Octopus ink spawn for you, and or was the area explored (i.e. were the last script blocks executed)?

Th fisherman that sells octopus ink did spawn. I don't believe Yness did. I think the area was explored, but I am not certain since I also walked around it a lot looking for Reedrig.

Greetings, all!  This bug report is based on the latest master branch as of this writing.  (The latest change I found was June 2, 2023.)  I used this version since it was the newest.

My tests are based on a new EET install.  I tested the scrolls by consoling them in as well as buying them from Sorcerous Sundries.  The results were the same.

Fiery Cloud
-Scroll says it's a level 7 spell.  It counts in all regards in-game as a level 8 spell.

-Using this scroll in-game from the hotbar/quickbar produces no spell effect.

-The scroll icon and spell icon on the cast list differ.

-A Sorcerer can't learn this spell when leveling, though that may be intentional.

Skeleton Guard
-Learning the spell as a wizard then casting it did nothing.  The casting animation played and no units were summoned/animated.

-A Sorcerer can't learn this spell when leveling, though that may be intentional.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:51 AM, Endarire said:

Greetings, all!  This bug report is based on the latest master branch as of this writing.  (The latest change I found was June 2, 2023.)  I used this version since it was the newest.

My tests are based on a new EET install.  I tested the scrolls by consoling them in as well as buying them from Sorcerous Sundries.  The results were the same.

Fiery Cloud
-Scroll says it's a level 7 spell.  It counts in all regards in-game as a level 8 spell.

[...]

Skeleton Guard
-Learning the spell as a wizard then casting it did nothing.  The casting animation played and no units were summoned/animated.

[...]

Mm, I never poked at these (mostly because I consider the inclusion of such high level spells in BG1 a bit silly), but now my interest is piqued.  I'll see what I can do.

Fiery Cloud

Typo in setup-ee.tra.  It has the correct level (8) in setup.tra.  Corrected locally.  The spell is basically a nerfed Incendiary Cloud.

Classic targeting error.  When using opcode 148 (Cast Spell at Point), the Target field should be set to 1 (Self).  Corrected locally.

-The scroll icon and spell icon on the cast list differ.

Mm, looks like the spell borrows an icon from Finger of Death.  But amusingly, the spell book uses the BG2 icon while the casting bar uses the IWD1 icon.  I'm no good with icons, but I'll see if I can come up with something more consistent.

This is an artifact from the fact that this was originally a mod for oBG1 where sorcerers did not exist.  The spell is not actually added with ADD_SPELL and thus gets no ID in spell.ids and no slot in the spwiXXX namespace, and is thus not detected by the sorcerer spell selection screen.  Fixing this would require some major changes to the install code, so I'll have to check with @jastey if this is desired.

Skeleton Guard

Hm, the spell looks alright at first glance.  I'll have to do some more poking at this one.

Illegal value for parameter2 of opcode 148 (Cast Spell at Point).  Corrected locally.

See above.

Edited by Angel
2 hours ago, jastey said:

If you or someone else wants to make the spells available for sorcerers feel free, but I'd suggest putting it into an own optional.component.

Sure, I can do this.  The spells seem completely out of place and they have nothing to do with any of the quests, so moving them to an optional component entirely makes perfect sense.

Skeleton Guard

Alright, I found the issue here too.  It was another targeting issue; opcode 67 (Creature Summoning) expects an object target, not a point, so setting it to 2 does not work with an area target.  It only uses the target to determine the EA of the summoned creature anyway, the actual location where it pops up is controlled by parameter2.  Setting it to 1 (Self) and setting parameter to 2 (at point, EA matches target) fixed the problem.

20 hours ago, jastey said:

Yes, I don't mind leaving the spells in as they are now, but anything where the player would need to decide to a limit of mod/components they can install in total I would prefer in an optional extra component, if it makes sense.

My suggestion is the following: I will move the spells to an optional component and give a choice of original, i.e. just the spells as they currently are with only the bugs ironed out, and revised where the spells are made more appropriate for a BG1 game.

15 hours ago, Endarire said:

Skeleton guard's icon last I checked was simply a reused animate dead.  Since skeleton guard animates 2 skeleton warriors, what say you to making the icon 2 skeletons, such as 2 skeletons standing back-to-back?

I wish I could, but my artist skills are virtually non-existent, a fact that plagues me in my own spell mod as well.  Unless someone like @Lava steps up, there isn't much I can do here.

15 hours ago, Endarire said:

If the skeleton warriors' stats are the same as the SR version of animate skeleton warrior, what say you to also including their stats in the spell description?

It was skelwa02, the same skeleton warriors as encountered in the Undercity and Durlag's Tower, which are level 9 fighters with 18/00 str and 90% MR.  In the fix I changed it to the more appropriate skelwasu (already present in both BGT and BGEE), but their stats are virtually identical.  And yes, both descriptions need updating too, neither reflects what the spell actually does very well and the listed casting time is impossible in the engine constraints.