Haer'Dalis and birds

Meira

For the purposes of Player2 romance in Amber mod I had planned to have Haer'Dalis call Player2 a Robin. But since he already calls Keto a Robin I've come to the conclusion that it's not a fitting bird for Player2 after all. (And maybe that Batman reference wasn't even funny.) :)

Any suggestions for the (un?)faithful sidekick of the mighty bhaalspawn? The easy way out would probably be just to call him a 'hound', but a bird-name wouldn't do any harm.

Just to nudge the discussion onto a more fruitful track for our purposes, I would like to clarify that (as explained in Meira's original post) we are not looking for a bird to represent Amber, here, but for a bird to represent Player 2 in a multiplayer game. The reason for this being the fact that if Player 1 of a multiplayer game is not a suitable romance candidate (female, inadequate stats, etc.), Amber may get interested in Player 2's character instead. And thus we require a bird that Haer'Dalis can use for Player 2 when he sticks his nose into the romance between Player 2 and Amber.

Maybe I could make the bird / hound depend (vaguely) on Player 2 class (to keep up the illusion that player2 is an individual person):

warriors (fighters, paladins, rangers and monks): hound

divine spellcasters (clerics and druids): owl

rogues (thieves and bards): mockingbird

arcane spellcasters (mages and sorcerers): ibis

Or would that be pilfering too many birdies for my mod? Not that overlapping is a terribly bad thing IMO. Haer is bound to use the same birds from time to time.

rogues (thieves and bards): mockingbird

I will admit that I like the idea of an ibis for mages and sorcerers (Thoth, God of Magic was Ibis headed).

Another one you may wish which is similar is the Crane, but you could use it for a monk.

For warriors, though, there are plenty of fighting fowl imagery like Falcons, Hawks, and Eagles.

For thief and bard, if you don't wish something so devious, you could use Kestrel.

For a bard specifically, even peacock could be appropriate...or swan.

Maybe I could make the bird / hound depend (vaguely) on Player 2 class (to keep up the illusion that player2 is an individual person):

HD uses "hound" as an insult, so something else would be more appropriate there. Maybe hawk, eagle, some kind of predator bird, like Bri said. I do like mockingbird for bard -- it fits quite well, though kestrel would be more appropriate for thieves.

HD uses "hound" as an insult, so something else would be more appropriate there.

I'm not sure I agree with this - at least I don't see anything particularly insulting in these lines (for example):

Haer to Minsc:

"A question, my hound and hamster... why is it that you come into such rage when we fight? 'Tis as if all the furies of the planes were all at once let loose within your veins!"

Haer to Keldorn:

"Keldorn, my faithful hound... how is it that you came to be a paladin, anyhow?"

But I agree that a bird of prey of sorts would probably be suitable. I think I will keep as generic as possible and not specify the type of falcon or hawk. What we know of player2 is quite limited - I think that a peacock for example gives too narrow image of the character. Or at least I would connect a peacock with especially vain or 'dressy' character. Yet bards come in many different personalities and outfits...

I think I'll let Kivan to be my one and only kestrel. :)

rogues (thieves and bards):  mockingbird

warriors~ cassowary (spelling?)

divine casters~ badger, pheasant

rouges~ crow

arcane caster~ phoenix

Just giving suggestions. :)

Well, rogues are generally stealthy and non-flashy kind of type, and some of the bards, like, for example, skalds could be only called a magpie jokingly. One of my skalds, Helg, for example, is a huge man given to moodiness and heavy drinking spells... hardly a magpie type.

Archived