SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

@pochesun My understanding of curses is that they are supposed to be relatively immutable (i.e. their effects are not able to be overridden). So while I don't disagree that this should be implemented differently, I unfortunately don't believe that there's really any avenue for doing so. I can have drinking the goblet "protect" the character from the various sources of Resist/Remove Fear, but I can't do anything about a Cavalier's immunity to fear, or immunity to fear given by an item, or about a character having cast Remove/Resist Fear before even using the goblet. Full immunity to the opcode used for morale break is given out by many sources, and there's not really anything you can do to get around it. Also, I find it a bit odd that this "curse" only lasts for 12 hours instead of being active until broken by Remove Curse, though admittedly, if I were changing how this goblet works, I would ideally want to make it so that the effect matches the description: instead of simply being "your character runs around in circles the moment you use the goblet", it would be "you have control of your character...until they get into a fight and then they go run around in circles until the fight is over".

With regards to Melf's Acid Arrow, in my opinion, Protection from Acid should not protect against the physical damage of the arrow. That is, after all, the point of including a physical damage component and treating the spell as if it were a real projectile shot at the target (even subject to the effects of Protection from Missiles and other sources of missile deflection). I wonder if the same issue applies to Flame Arrow and Protection from Fire? Given that Melf's Acid Arrow is a single target spell, it is not really necessary for Protection from Acid to explicitly protect against it in the first place - providing immunity to the acid damage via acid resistance is adequate. Most likely simply an oversight on the part of IR if this issue only applies to the green scrolls that IR modifies.

With regards to where bugs are reported, I do not mind if bugs that are actually IRR's fault are reported in the SRR thread or vice versa, especially if it's not immediately clear which one is at fault, and this was obviously one such case. Really, all I ask is that people report them here in one of my threads so that I can actually see it in a timely manner, as opposed to e.g. GitHub, where if someone makes a proper Issue thread for something, it might take me weeks or even months to notice it.

On 7/12/2023 at 7:08 PM, pochesun said:

Jeez, thats rough. I hope you will recover with no severe consequences (unfortunately with covid its usually takes about a month to fully recover, if not vaccinated). Anyway, get well soon.

Thanks, about fully back now. It's been a while since I got a booster, but it ended up being less worse (although still pretty unpleasant) relative to the first time I got it which was shortly after having received a booster. Viruses be wack, yo.

Edited by Bartimaeus
On 7/16/2023 at 6:37 PM, Bartimaeus said:

if I were changing how this goblet works, I would ideally want to make it so that the effect matches the description: instead of simply being "your character runs around in circles the moment you use the goblet", it would be "you have control of your character...until they get into a fight and then they go run around in circles until the fight is over".

that probably would be a good change to be honest. Its also could be a random effect  - character runs in panic from time to time while curse is active (like the character got whiplash of fear). I dunno how difficult it is to be implemented though :)

With regards to Melf's Acid Arrow, in my opinion, Protection from Acid should not protect against the physical damage of the arrow. That is, after all, the point of including a physical damage component and treating the spell as if it were a real projectile shot at the target (even subject to the effects of Protection from Missiles and other sources of missile deflection). I wonder if the same issue applies to Flame Arrow and Protection from Fire? Given that Melf's Acid Arrow is a single target spell, it is not really necessary for Protection from Acid to explicitly protect against it in the first place - providing immunity to the acid damage via acid resistance is adequate. Most likely simply an oversight on the part of IR if this issue only applies to the green scrolls that IR modifies.

Yes, i tested it with Protection from Fire green scroll as well - same effect: the character protected by it did not recieve any damage from Flame Arrow spell (neither missile nor fire). SO basically both green scrolls giving protection from acid and from fire do this. So again, if i reach 100% protection from Acid by reading that green scroll that gives "immunity" - then no damage at all from Melf's Acid Arrow. But if i reach 100% protection from Acid by any other combination (blue scroll and potion for instance) then missile damage goes through but no acid damage. 

i also tested Icelance spell with protection from cold effects. And, interestingly, in this case its a bit different. While Icelance has both piercing and cold "parts" of damage if a character has 100% protected from cold then Icelance has absolutely no effect against this character, but in this case it does not matter if the character protected by green scroll or reaches that 100% via, for example, boots (+50%) and Potion of Energy Protection (+50%). Feel free to try it :) 

I dunno it all those i mentioned are fixable or you will leave it as it is, but "immunity" clause probably has some sense: after all as @jmerry made a point before that Melf's Acid Arrow (at least in theory) is a acid based spell, same for flame arrow spell. Basically those green protection scrolls becomes more powerful in comparison and i dont think its a big deal, but its up to you if you gonna do anythign about it. Icelance spell - i think is a different story, though, its probably bugged or something.

Thanks, about fully back now. It's been a while since I got a booster, but it ended up being less worse (although still pretty unpleasant) relative to the first time I got it which was shortly after having received a booster. Viruses be wack, yo.

Good to hear. Covid is a nasty thing and i also happened to overcome it once (i was boosted though), and what i experienced - was not pleasant, to say the least :) 

Edited by pochesun

@Bartimaeus i tested Icelance a bit more (in addition to what i wrote in previous post). It seems that if a character has 100% protection from Cold Icelance ha no effect on this character at all: no damage (either piercing or cold) and even no save required against being stunned for 1 round. Is it normal?

Also wanted to ask what you think of Green Protection Scrolls (considering what i wrote about them in previous post). Are they a bit OP and should they been nerfed or leave them as they are?

Edited by pochesun
On 8/10/2023 at 11:29 AM, pochesun said:

@Bartimaeus hello, reminding you in case you forgot to check those issues with Acid Arrow, Flame Arrow and Icelance spells i posted above. :) 

Thanks. I do have it written down in my to-do list.txt along with a few other items, so it should eventually get done...eventually. End of summer is a busy time of year for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Not sure if it's my game, but Globes of Invulnerability don't seem to quite work right.

I'm on dispel_globes=1 in the ini, but it appears they act as if it was =2 i.e. can't be dispelled by Dispel Magic and stops Dispel Magic from dispelling everything else as well. (I'm on spell_protections=0 as well)

15 hours ago, Lord_Tansheron said:

Not sure if it's my game, but Globes of Invulnerability don't seem to quite work right.

I'm on dispel_globes=1 in the ini, but it appears they act as if it was =2 i.e. can't be dispelled by Dispel Magic and stops Dispel Magic from dispelling everything else as well. (I'm on spell_protections=0 as well)

I just tested - cant confirm. I have set dispel_globes set at 1 in ini. file as well but it works as intended on my installation. Maybe you missing some effects or spells on enemies ( like dispelling screen)?

17 hours ago, Lord_Tansheron said:

The character with the globe cast upon them was dispelled multiple times by a higher level spellcaster without anything being dispelled? "dispel_globes" being set to 1 is the default option, and that means that neither alternative files or patches are used unlike the other two options, so it would seem to be the least likely option to have any problems. You can give me your Minor Globe (spwi406.spl from override) to look at if you're certain.

Edited by Bartimaeus
3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The character with the globe cast upon them was dispelled multiple times by a higher level spellcaster without anything being dispelled? "dispel_globes" being set to 1 is the default option, and that means that neither alternative files or patches are used unlike the other two options, so it would seem to be the least likely option to have any problems. You can give me your Minor Globe (spwi406.spl from override) to look at if you're certain.

He also could just overlook that Dispell does not guarantee to dispell at all :) 

On 8/16/2023 at 2:21 PM, Bartimaeus said:

Yes, it was an enemy Lich. As soon as their contingency for Globe fired, they could no longer be dispelled - in fact, even their Dispelling Screen wasn't dispelled, when it was dispelled just fine if hit with dispels before the Globe went up. As was any other enemy not using Globe.

I manually changed things to dispel_globes=0 and then reinstalled SRR, and that seems to have fixed it, so I'm not sure if giving you my .spl file now would do much.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:07 PM, pochesun said:

He also could just overlook that Dispell does not guarantee to dispell at all :) 

I was using a high level Inquisitor, but just to be sure I ALSO changed it to always dispel using NI just to see what happens - still didn't dispel. Didn't dispel Dispelling Screen either, which is always dispelled regardless of success.

4 hours ago, Lord_Tansheron said:

Yes, it was an enemy Lich. As soon as their contingency for Globe fired, they could no longer be dispelled - in fact, even their Dispelling Screen wasn't dispelled, when it was dispelled just fine if hit with dispels before the Globe went up. As was any other enemy not using Globe.

I manually changed things to dispel_globes=0 and then reinstalled SRR, and that seems to have fixed it, so I'm not sure if giving you my .spl file now would do much.

I was using a high level Inquisitor, but just to be sure I ALSO changed it to always dispel using NI just to see what happens - still didn't dispel. Didn't dispel Dispelling Screen either, which is always dispelled regardless of success.

Liches are immune to 5th level spells and lower, but I'm fairly certain that should not apply to Dispel Magic, not unless the power levels of your Dispel Magic somehow got set to a non-zero number. The only way that should be able to happen through SRR is if you set spell_protections=1, but you said you hadn't, so I'm not sure. Well, it's no longer really possible to investigate if you nuked that install, so I guess it is what it is.

17 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Liches are immune to 5th level spells and lower, but I'm fairly certain that should not apply to Dispel Magic, not unless the power levels of your Dispel Magic somehow got set to a non-zero number. The only way that should be able to happen through SRR is if you set spell_protections=1, but you said you hadn't, so I'm not sure. Well, it's no longer really possible to investigate if you nuked that install, so I guess it is what it is.

Yes, I guess I found a working solution... But just to clarify, Liches - including that very same Lich in question - were dispelled just fine if they DIDN'T have Globe up. But there's a contingency just for Globe, and as soon as that fired, dispels no longer worked (including for Dispelling Screen). If dispelled before the Globe went up, everything worked as expected.