SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

12 hours ago, Lord_Tansheron said:

Yes, I guess I found a working solution... But just to clarify, Liches - including that very same Lich in question - were dispelled just fine if they DIDN'T have Globe up. But there's a contingency just for Globe, and as soon as that fired, dispels no longer worked (including for Dispelling Screen). If dispelled before the Globe went up, everything worked as expected.

Have you tried Globe and Dispell interraction against any other enemy? It seems weird that specifically contingency for Globe causes that behavior.

8 hours ago, pochesun said:

Have you tried Globe and Dispell interraction against any other enemy? It seems weird that specifically contingency for Globe causes that behavior.

To be clear, I'm not blaming the contingency. It's just that was a convenient way to identify when Globe went up, and it was a moment in the fight that changed how things worked.

I already changed the install parameters so I can't test it anymore.

Why would a lich ever cast a globe anyway? It does absolutely nothing for them.

Oh, wait, answered my own question. Vanilla liches use generic mage scripts, which have the contingencies and sequencers written into them. Liches get spell selections that reflect their immunities, but contingencies and sequencers don't rely on memorized spells and the scripts are written to apply to any AI mage of the appropriate level.

And the second lich I checked (Elemental Lich, using MAGE20B) has this block in its script:

IF
	See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
	TookDamage()
	Global("Prep2","LOCALS",0)
	!StateCheck(Myself,STATE_REALLY_DEAD)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		DisplayString(Myself,43050)  // Chain Contingency—Improved Mantle
		ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_IMPROVED_MANTLE)  // SPWI808.SPL (Improved Mantle)
		DisplayString(Myself,3302)  // Chain Contingency—Spell Turning
		ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_SPELL_TURNING)  // SPWI701.SPL (Spell Turning)
		DisplayString(Myself,40240)  // Chain Contingency—Mislead
		ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_GLOBE_OF_INVULNERABILITY)  // SPWI602.SPL (Globe of Invulnerability)
		SetGlobal("Prep2","LOCALS",1)
END

Yep, there's a globe that a lich casts, for no good reason.

6 hours ago, jmerry said:

Why would a lich ever cast a globe anyway? It does absolutely nothing for them.

Oh, wait, answered my own question. Vanilla liches use generic mage scripts, which have the contingencies and sequencers written into them. Liches get spell selections that reflect their immunities, but contingencies and sequencers don't rely on memorized spells and the scripts are written to apply to any AI mage of the appropriate level.

And the second lich I checked (Elemental Lich, using MAGE20B) has this block in its script:

IF
	See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
	TookDamage()
	Global("Prep2","LOCALS",0)
	!StateCheck(Myself,STATE_REALLY_DEAD)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		DisplayString(Myself,43050)  // Chain Contingency—Improved Mantle
		ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_IMPROVED_MANTLE)  // SPWI808.SPL (Improved Mantle)
		DisplayString(Myself,3302)  // Chain Contingency—Spell Turning
		ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_SPELL_TURNING)  // SPWI701.SPL (Spell Turning)
		DisplayString(Myself,40240)  // Chain Contingency—Mislead
		ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_GLOBE_OF_INVULNERABILITY)  // SPWI602.SPL (Globe of Invulnerability)
		SetGlobal("Prep2","LOCALS",1)
END

Yep, there's a globe that a lich casts, for no good reason.

Hey, not nothing...just almost nothing: it basically acts as a bad Spell Shield that won't have priority over other, higher level spell protections. Super useful! :p

It's too bad we don't have the ability to test Lord_Tansheron's install again: if Dispel Magic did have its power level set to e.g. 3, then I would think that the lich's natural immunity to <5th level spells would already cover that and the globe wouldn't be accomplishing anything itself, even if that was what appeared to be the case at a glance. And if Dispel Magic didn't have a power level of 3...well, I'm not entirely certain how what Lord_Tansheron experienced could have happened. Oh well.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Hey Bartimaeus, decided to start a new BG1EE playthrough with both your revisions mods and have small problem with Paladin Cavalier class. Remove fear and Detect Evil spells do not have any description. I have a fresh install with only SR Revised mod, nothing else. Additionally, grease spell has only 10' radius compared to the desription on the first page. Thank you for your reply.

1 hour ago, Fjodik said:

Hey Bartimaeus, decided to start a new BG1EE playthrough with both your revisions mods and have small problem with Paladin Cavalier class. Remove fear and Detect Evil spells do not have any description. I have a fresh install with only SR Revised mod, nothing else. Additionally, grease spell has only 10' radius compared to the desription on the first page. Thank you for your reply.

1. At this time, SR/SRR does not add descriptions to any innate abilities. That may change some day, but it's not a particularly high priority right now.

2. Grease: the size and text in-game is correct, it's just the terminology that has changed since I wrote that in the original post. In SR, a Fireball has a "30' radius"; in SRR, what was previously called a "30' radius" is now called a "15' radius". So with Grease, it went from a 10' radius to a 20' radius...which is now called a 10' radius. If this sounds silly, it's because the way AoE sizes were listed in oBG1 and oBG2 was messy and inconsistent, and it could've arguably gone either way on that basis so I don't blame Demivrgvs for going with the doubled values, but Beamdog decided upon the opposite by instead calling a Fireball a 15' radius, and for the sake of consistent values, I changed them accordingly.

3. Bonus information: If one is trying to match up the length of range values with the length of AoE sizes, the non-doubled values are accurate. For example, if you cast a Fireball at maximum range (range value of 26), the AoE will reach roughly about 60% of the way towards from where the caster was standing upon finishing casting the spell, so a range of 26 and a radius of 15' does more or less make sense (15 divided by 26 = 0.58, or 58%), whereas a range of 26 and a radius of 30' would mean that the Fireball should easily reach the caster if they do not move after finishing casting, which it obviously does not. In fact, if one changes the radius of a Fireball to be a real 26' (same as the maximum spellcasting range), the Fireball just reaches where the caster is standing and damages them - moving even a tiny bit away from the blast epicentre makes it so that it the caster is not harmed. See said 26' radius fireball here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/wo9rqijr35b5qcxmvxf0f/bgmain_FqtNPj63Ut.mp4?rlkey=2zlemj3lpt1f7i8dvfec7s37c&dl=0

Edited by Bartimaeus
6 hours ago, Fjodik said:

All clear now, thank you for your quick reply.

Just for my understanding which version should I use. I have downloaded last version from the depository 1.3.937, is it ok or should I rather take 1.3.900? Thank you.

I always recommend the "live" version, i.e. V1.3.937.

Hey, I am sorry to bother you but I have received certain warnings when installing SRR together with SCS. I believe most of them are harmless (e.g. identifying non-existant weapon SW2HDEAT.itm, B3-18.itm and B3-18M3.itm, someone having ranged but not melee weapons, etc) but couple of them indicate that some spells do not exist in game, particularly CDBREAK1, CDBREAK6 and CDBREAK9. Would you be able to identify which spells are these and tell me if you think this may cause problems? I would really appreciate if you have a time to look at that. Both mods represent a cornerstone in my install.

I do not have any other mod installed, only SRR and SCS, WeiDU log attached. Debug file is too big so I cant attached it here.

Many thanks for your help and your tíme.

WeiDU.log

6 minutes ago, Fjodik said:

Hey, I am sorry to bother you but I have received certain warnings when installing SRR together with SCS. I believe most of them are harmless (e.g. identifying non-existant weapon SW2HDEAT.itm, B3-18.itm and B3-18M3.itm, someone having ranged but not melee weapons, etc) but couple of them indicate that some spells do not exist in game, particularly CDBREAK1, CDBREAK6 and CDBREAK9. Would you be able to identify which spells are these and tell me if you think this may cause problems? I would really appreciate if you have a time to look at that. Both mods represent a cornerstone in my install.

I do not have any other mod installed, only SRR and SCS, WeiDU log attached. Debug file is too big so I cant attached it here.

Many thanks for your help and your tíme.

WeiDU.log 2.81 kB · 0 downloads

Isn't the "CD" prefix used by Anthology Tweaks? Let's see here... Ah, yes, the CDBREAK series of spells are added by Anthology Tweaks' "Gradual Drow Item Disintegration". In truth, I'm not sure why SCS is concerned about mod-added spells not existing in your game. I don't use the Gradual Drow Item Disintegration component myself, but I can't remember ever seeing any errors about not having it while installing SCS either. And on a side-note, I believe those items you listed are all items that should exist in a vanilla oBG2 or BG2EE game (they're all monster weapons), so I don't know why it would be complaining about them not existing either...

Edited by Bartimaeus
9 minutes ago, Fjodik said:

Thank you for your reply, I will ignore that and hopefully nothing breaks 🙂

EDIT: what is really weird, I am playing BG1EE and those items seem to be from BG2, same for spells.....

Oh. My knowledge of installing SCS in a BG1-only game is pretty much nil, unfortunately.

Those monster weapons also exist in vanilla SoD, but not in non-SoD BGEE. Still, I really have to wonder at the coding that led to the warnings. If you try "open this file" and it doesn't exist, that's an error that'll kill the component. If you gate it behind an "IF_EXISTS" check - the obvious thing to do when you're dealing with something that's in some game versions but not others - that's not even a warning. Any idea what component did this?

Existence, in this case, isn't the same as actually being used. None of those three monster weapons (3d6 nonmagical crushing damage, 3d6 crushing damage with +3 enchantment, +4 two-handed sword that drains two levels) are actually equipped by any SoD creature; they're just in the files.