SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

18 minutes ago, Salk said:

Bartimaeus,

I happen to agree with what CamDawg just said here about Death Gaze protecting from Aec'Letec's Death Gaze. Do you know if SRR's version of the spell already does that? 

Cheers!

Looking at it ... no. And the tweak in my collection for this wouldn't work; it keys off protection from the "Dying" portrait icon, which isn't present in the SR(R) version of the spell. (Likely because that was an EE addition to the vanilla version of the spell, and SR(R) based everything off the pre-EE games.)

Specific protection here is actually a bit tricky, as the death gaze spell has different codes between BG1 and trilogy versions due to a conflict with the nabassu gaze spell in BG2. It's something that would have to be added in code, rather than directly included in the spell.

Edited by jmerry
Quote added due to page transition

@Bartimaeus hello, i am about to make a fresh installation of mods and i was wondering if you fixed Flame Arrow, Acid Arrow (or protection scrolls against those spells for that matter) and Icelance spell i mention about 2 months ago?

Also wanted to ask if you decided to somehow change the effect of Durlag's Goblet? Also curious if its the unique item for BG1 or it is present in BG 2 as well?

Just now, pochesun said:

@Bartimaeus hello, i am about to make a fresh installation of mods and i was wondering if you fixed Flame Arrow, Acid Arrow (or protection scrolls against those spells for that matter) and Icelance spell i mention about 2 months ago?

Also wanted to ask if you decided to somehow change the effect of Durlag's Goblet? Also curious if its the unique item for BG1 or it is present in BG 2 as well?

Yes, and I totally didn't just fix it seconds before posting here:

1. Durlag's Goblet: Removed the cursed icon in exchange for a fear icon, duration of fear lasts for 8 hours instead of 12, fear is dispellable, and the goblet itself is unsellable. A vendor being able to refill this unique cursed goblet of blood and open up the possibility of a player with immunity to fear abusing it for full heals makes zero sense, particularly in the face of there being no way to counter a player being immune to fear...but I'll let the player abuse it for the six charges that it comes with (six, one for each member in your party presumably?). The item is only used in BG1, but is more or less intact for BG2 (...the identified name changed to "Blood of Quallo's Friend", but is otherwise the same - IRR will set it back to Durlag's Goblet).

2. Protection from Fire and Protection from Acid no longer directly protect against Melf's Acid Arrow and Flame Arrow respectively.

3. I never experienced your Icelance issue: if it happens again in your new installation, it will need further investigation.

16 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

1. Durlag's Goblet: ... fear is dispellable...

You mean undispellable?

2. Protection from Fire and Protection from Acid no longer directly protect against Melf's Acid Arrow and Flame Arrow respectively.

Thats nice, those scrolls were too OP otherwise.

3. I never experienced your Icelance issue: if it happens again in your new installation, it will need further investigation.

Ok, i decided to test Icelance again before i gonna reinstall my game and mods soon. I cast Icelance spell from Scroll (i dont know if it makes any difference than casting it from spellbook, but anyway worth mentioning). So when i cast Icelance on a character that has 100% cold resistance -no effects take place and the log says "X: unaffected  by effects from Icelance" where X is character name. So basically in this case no damage taken at all (!) and no attempts to save taken (either from cold or from being held), though the spell description clearly states that the target must save vs breath (to avoid cold damage) and Paralysis to avoid being held. When i cast Icelance on a character without any cold resistance or resistance less than 99%  - both saves attempts happen. What strikes me the most - while bearing 100% cold resistance or more the target takes no damage at all (not even basic piercing damage).  Thats very weird.

That actually leads to some interesting results, like, for instance, a character with more than 100% Cold Resistance cant be healed by Icelance cold damage because Icelance would not have any effect and deal no cold damage (as i just wrote above) - and that is not how it should work imho.

Also 2 notings:

-  i am not sure if its important, but when a character tries to save for not being held the log says "save vs. Death" while Icelance spell description states " save vs Paralysis".

-  i found when i cast Protection from Cold scroll (green one) the game log says "We are not here as mercenaries, we are here to save Grand Dukes from assasination". And when i cast Protection from acid scroll (green one) the game log says "You must excuse me, but i am teribly busy right now". Bad strings again.

Again, i tested all these on my current installation that is about 5 months old so take it with a grain of salt, probably you already mended some of the issues i discribed, but feel free to test Icelance with this post in mind :) Anyway i will report any deviations with Icelance, if any occur, after i fresh install the mods.

6 hours ago, pochesun said:

You mean undispellable?

No, dispellable: you may dispel it. There's no way to get that fear effect to act anything like a true curse, so it may as well be dispellable, particularly with how annoying the "causes immediate morale panic" effect is. Honestly, the berserking effect would make a lot more sense and work better, but it doesn't really go with the lore.

-  i am not sure if its important, but when a character tries to save for not being held the log says "save vs. Death" while Icelance spell description states " save vs Paralysis".

In AD&D/2E, vs. paralysis/poison/death all use the same base saving throw, though unlike in the IE games, bonuses/penalties could be weighed in on individual types (e.g. a necklace charm granting a bonus to saving throws vs. poison would only apply to saving throws vs. poison, not paralysis and death as well). So no issue.

-  i found when i cast Protection from Cold scroll (green one) the game log says "We are not here as mercenaries, we are here to save Grand Dukes from assasination". And when i cast Protection from acid scroll (green one) the game log says "You must excuse me, but i am teribly busy right now". Bad strings again.

Thanks, should be fixed with the latest repository version.

Again, i tested all these on my current installation that is about 5 months old so take it with a grain of salt, probably you already mended some of the issues i discribed, but feel free to test Icelance with this post in mind :) Anyway i will report any deviations with Icelance, if any occur, after i fresh install the mods.

I just tested it on both oBG2 and BG2EE again, and the piercing damage always applies even when I have Protection from Fire applied. If you still have a copy of it from that install, give me your SCRL06.spl so I can take a look at it, as that's about all I can think of to do.

13 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

No, dispellable: you may dispel it. There's no way to get that fear effect to act anything like a true curse, so it may as well be dispellable, particularly with how annoying the "causes immediate morale panic" effect is. Honestly, the berserking effect would make a lot more sense and work better, but it doesn't really go with the lore.

Then honestly i dont get the idea behind it. I thought Goblet was supposed to cause more aggrevating issues (from Lore point of view as well) and with effect being dispellable now it has become less aggrevating. At least before target under Fear effect from the Goblet could only be brought back to normal state by Remove Fear, and now negative effect is even more easy to deal with. Though i have to admit, cast Dispell on your buffed party member, especially during fight, might be ill advised :)

13 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I just tested it on both oBG2 and BG2EE again, and the piercing damage always applies even when I have Protection from Fire applied. If you still have a copy of it from that install, give me your SCRL06.spl so I can take a look at it, as that's about all I can think of to do.

Are we talking about Icelance spell? :) Because Protection from Fire would have not affect Icelance in anyway. I was talking about Protection from Cold and Icelance interraction however. Just in case i attached file you requested.

scrl06.spl

3 hours ago, pochesun said:

Are we talking about Icelance spell? :) Because Protection from Fire would have not affect Icelance in anyway. I was talking about Protection from Cold and Icelance interraction however. Just in case i attached file you requested.

Oops, sorry, I meant SCRL04.spl, Protection from Cold, not Protection from Fire.

3 hours ago, pochesun said:

hen honestly i dont get the idea behind it. I thought Goblet was supposed to cause more aggrevating issues (from Lore point of view as well) and with effect being dispellable now it has become less aggrevating. At least before target under Fear effect from the Goblet could only be brought back to normal state by Remove Fear, and now negative effect is even more easy to deal with. Though i have to admit, cast Dispell on your buffed party member, especially during fight, might be ill advised

Because there's no way to get it to mechanically work like a curse (and is in fact easily removable by level 1 Resist Fear or any other source of fear resistance/removal), it would seem inexplicable to me to not have it be generally dispellable, especially given its 8 hour length. Interestingly, though the positive effects of potions in IR are considered "alchemical" and thus not generally dispellable in nature, the negative effects of "strange"/cursed potions are dispellable. Hmm. To be honest, I'm not the hugest fan of those potions always having negative effects...always felt like "strange" potions should have a 50/50 chance of either doing what they're supposed to do or something bad.

Edited by Bartimaeus
4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Oops, sorry, I meant SCRL04.spl, Protection from Cold, not Protection from Fire.

Because there's no way to get it to mechanically work like a curse (and is in fact easily removable by level 1 Resist Fear or any other source of fear resistance/removal), it would seem inexplicable to me to not have it be generally dispellable, especially given its 8 hour length. Interestingly, though the positive effects of potions in IR are considered "alchemical" and thus not generally dispellable in nature, the negative effects of "strange"/cursed potions are dispellable. Hmm. To be honest, I'm not the hugest fan of those potions always having negative effects...always felt like "strange" potions should have a 50/50 chance of either doing what they're supposed to do or something bad.

Attached another file.

My issue with Goblet is it is supposed to be a cursed artifact, and the curse was put on it by some truly evil forces of Durlag Tower (and from Durlag's past life that was filled with hatred and fear). So presumably the curse should be quite strong and malicious. But making it easily dispellable like any level 1 spell turns that curse into a mere trifle. When i was talking about Goblet change i meant a change where the curse effect should be more aggrevating and the range of means dealing with the curse, in my opinion, should be truncated, not the opposite. 

I like the idea of randomness for "strange" potions though, i think its worth implementing - adding more fun never hurts :) 

scrl04.spl

16 hours ago, pochesun said:

My issue with Goblet is it is supposed to be a cursed artifact, and the curse was put on it by some truly evil forces of Durlag Tower (and from Durlag's past life that was filled with hatred and fear). So presumably the curse should be quite strong and malicious. But making it easily dispellable like any level 1 spell turns that curse into a mere trifle. When i was talking about Goblet change i meant a change where the curse effect should be more aggrevating and the range of means dealing with the curse, in my opinion, should be truncated, not the opposite. 

Yes, it would be neat, but as previously discussed, it's really not technically possible to implement it like that, so to have the effect avoidable and dispellable by every method besides a general dispel would seem awfully strange to me. The only way I can really see making it stronger and having it be relatively consistent is by having it apply a total dispel on use (getting rid of any temporary fear immunity...along with everything else) and then protecting against any new attempts to provide resistance to fear...but that still wouldn't prevent Cavalier's innate immunity to fear or Kiel's Helmet from working. Eh.

16 hours ago, pochesun said:

Attached another file.

Still no dice even using your version of the scroll: BG2EE, cast Protection from Cold from SCRL04.itm, cast Icelance on myself, I receive the piercing damage + am held.

Edited by Bartimaeus
3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Still no dice even using your version of the scroll: BG2EE, cast Protection from Cold from SCRL04.itm, cast Icelance on myself, I receive the piercing damage + am held.

I dont think its the Protection from Cold scroll issue, i believe its Icelance spell issue (at least in my current installation), because it does not matter how a charachter acrrues 100%> Cold resistance (for instance i used 50% from boots and 50% from Potion of Energy Protection, so it gives 100% Cold resistance total) but still when i cast Icelance - no effect at all and log says "Unuffected by effects from Icelance". I could give you Icelance spell .spl if you want but as i said i am using 5 months old installation so presumably its somehow already been fixed. I will report if i face this issue with renewed installation. Just in case, i forgot to mention, i tested Icelance in BG 1.

Regarding Goblet: wanted to ask if its possible to somehow make other hostile creatures "effuse"  specific fear aura (maybe with different opcode than regular fear) which is activated when the Goblet is activated by the imbiber? 

2 hours ago, pochesun said:

I dont think its the Protection from Cold scroll issue, i believe its Icelance spell issue (at least in my current installation), because it does not matter how a charachter acrrues 100%> Cold resistance (for instance i used 50% from boots and 50% from Potion of Energy Protection, so it gives 100% Cold resistance total) but still when i cast Icelance - no effect at all and log says "Unuffected by effects from Icelance". I could give you Icelance spell .spl if you want but as i said i am using 5 months old installation so presumably its somehow already been fixed. I will report if i face this issue with renewed installation. Just in case, i forgot to mention, i tested Icelance in BG 1.

Regarding Goblet: wanted to ask if its possible to somehow make other hostile creatures "effuse"  specific fear aura (maybe with different opcode than regular fear) which is activated when the Goblet is activated by the imbiber? 

I guess you can send me your Icelance as well, but I wouldn't expect to find anything interesting unless some other mod has royally screwed with it, but it doesn't hurt to take a look. I don't know for sure what its resource code is in your game, since there's a possibility of being dynamic upon install, but it might be SPWI323.

Durlag's Goblet: I think any attempt to do something like that would be ratchety as all hell. It'd probably be best to use an opcode 272 ("Apply Effect on Condition") with a 1 round frequency that casts an opcode 232 ("Cast Spell on Condition") with condition 1 ("Enemy Within Sight") that just casts a 7 duration fear effect, which should theoretically lead to a seamless chaining of fear effects whenever an enemy is within sight of your 'cursed' character.

14 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I guess you can send me your Icelance as well, but I wouldn't expect to find anything interesting unless some other mod has royally screwed with it, but it doesn't hurt to take a look. I don't know for sure what its resource code is in your game, since there's a possibility of being dynamic upon install, but it might be SPWI323.

Durlag's Goblet: I think any attempt to do something like that would be ratchety as all hell. It'd probably be best to use an opcode 272 ("Apply Effect on Condition") with a 1 round frequency that casts an opcode 232 ("Cast Spell on Condition") with condition 1 ("Enemy Within Sight") that just casts a 7 duration fear effect, which should theoretically lead to a seamless chaining of fear effects whenever an enemy is within sight of your 'cursed' character.

Could you direct me where to fing that file? :) 

Regarding Goblet: the way you described it, it actually might work (and its close to what i imagined it should be). In case you decide to tamper with it, i am curious what results you come up with :) But i was thinking about Goblet effect being dispellable and i still cant see it being appropriate for the item. At least before old curse effect could only be removed/resisted by Remove Fear, or some very unique abilities like Cavalier's ability or Khiel Helmet and that what made Goblet unique item (from DnD and lore point of view as well). Now with it being dispellable its effect became more... mundane, i dunno, it just feels wrong (from DnD and lore point of view as well).