[Solved] REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT as a Timer Solver?

cmorgan

1 hour ago, CamDawg said:

In an NPC mod--or a quest mod--your primary goal is to tell a story, and development should have that as a primary focus. More options are welcome, of course, but a well-written NPC will be better received than a less well-written mod with 18 install options, and your most precious resource (time) should be spent accordingly.

Also the reason I now prefer to play games with preset protagonists and bare minimum dialog options, rather than generating and controlling "you, the player" proxy.

2 hours ago, CamDawg said:

REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT_REGEXP C-AR(\AN\|N25\)J ~RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aran\(friend\|rom\|flirt\)timer","GLOBAL",[^)]+)~ ~RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aran\1timer","GLOBAL",5405)~

You know, at some point it's a show-off. :p

Thanks for the template!

(To be fair, I wasn't suggesting major structural changes; just looking for the path of least effort. Generally, a READLN-dependent mod can add some SUBCOMPONENTs up-front for each READLN variable; and remove the READLN actions from the body of the mod; and then, theoretically, the rest of the mod could be left completely unchanged. Defining the variables in an .ini file woukd be even more efficient and flexible, at the cost of slightly hiding the player choices. 

No idea if that holds true for this particular mod, of course.)

On 1/27/2019 at 4:20 AM, Jarno Mikkola said:

I don't have my SHSforums resources available to me, so I can't show you how one can install mods with READLN that get their inputs set by a .txt, but there is such code snips there.

K, now that I do, this has to do with the CMD.exe's .bat's TYPE command...

Particularly, like this:

type custom_input.txt | setup-modname.exe --language 0     --force-install-list componentnumber --skip-at-view | %M%

FWIW:

using SUBCOMPONENTS is always the best and preferred way to handle removal of ACTION_READLN because unlike to INI file with settings, it can interact with other mods/components and be a foundation for internal/external dependence and conflicts. The ini won't but it is still way, way better that ACTION_READLN. I have to agree with CamDawg here: too many options can be overwhelming.

In a different context, one of the bits of advice I give graduate students is that they shouldn’t start revising their paper / thesis chapter until they have finished the draft, unless the structure really is broken. It is much easier to make tweaks, even quite big ones, when you have a finished item. I strongly suspect that’s true for mods too.