Tweak suggestion: Let's Get Dirty.

Andyr

One of the things I preferred IWD1 to the BG games for was it 'felt' like the towns were more rough-and-ready, perhaps more realistic if you feel. Part of the reason for this was that commoners and the like were dressed in drab browns, greys and blacks. Then you head down to BG1/2 and they're wearing reds, greens, oranges and all manner of other colours...

Another thing I preferred were the IWD casting graphics to the more garish BG2 ones, hence my tweak to change them. :)

So, I am requesting a tweak to change the colours of Commoners and the like to a duller, plainer ones. I've not coded anything yet but have tried to think about how.

Rather than go through all the .CREs in the games, I had thought about perhaps writing a patch targetting the Innocent class? Since this is what most Commoners and the like are coded as. A disadvantage is that this might also affect Noblemen/women. So perhaps it could be combined with an animation check to make sure that the character is not a Noble.

Next comes the choice of colours. I don't know how to make WeiDU choose from a random set of options (e.g. black/brown/tan/grey). Unless one of the random colour palettes is a 'drab' one? I will check.

Perhaps an unusual tweak request, but meh. :) :)

I think it might have to do with the area of the realms we are in. Perhaps Calimshites are even more colourful, but I always felt that a southern trading nation should not dress the same as their windswept brothers and sisters in the god forsaken, frozen north. Generaly speaking you have a point though.

Since most (or at least many) commoners seem to use the randcolr.2da instead of specific colours, I'd advise to rather tweak the .2da than the .cre-files. Easier, I believe.

Of course, if you want to tweak the commoners not using the .2da, you can always add a check for the color index to be <200 before updating the .cre. :)

Since most (or at least many) commoners seem to use the randcolr.2da instead of specific colours, I'd advise to rather tweak the .2da than the .cre-files. Easier, I believe.

Plz no. Some mods use randcolr.2da. Not good, not good, not good. Compatibility above all.

Of course, if you want to tweak the commoners not using the .2da, you can always add a check for the color index to be <200 before updating the .cre. :)

See above. Also, many monsters use randcolr.2da, too. Hobgoblins, kobolds, basically anything with a palettized avatar.

Random colors are already separated. There should be a column for peasants, nobleman, kobolds, etc. So you should be able to edit a specific column without screwing too many things up.

That said, I really have no idea what the tweak is about. The majority of peasants (using the PEASANT_MAN and PEASANT_WOMAN), as well as the dumb kids (BOY and GIRL) all have pretty drab colors from what I can remember. There are only so many shades of poo brown, and they're all equally ugly.

Plz no.  Some mods use randcolr.2da.  Not good, not good, not good.  Compatibility above all.

See above.  Also, many monsters use randcolr.2da, too.  Hobgoblins, kobolds, basically anything with a palettized avatar.

Random colors are already separated. There should be a column for peasants, nobleman, kobolds, etc. So you should be able to edit a specific column without screwing too many things up.

As devSin says, the columns are separated. If you just change peasant-column, the other creatures should be unaffected, unless Bioware has screwed up things.

Or, you can do as igi says;

Can't you just make a new column in radcolr.2da [sic], and reference that?

It'd probably be easier to point the creatures to the 2da rather than changing the creatures randomly separated. Not to mention the fact that the creatures often appear several times in the big areas, so if you change one .cre-file to use one specific colour, *all* actors in an area using that .cre will have that colour, while the actors will have different colours if referred to the .2da. That must surely be better?

That said, I really have no idea what the tweak is about. The majority of peasants (using the PEASANT_MAN and PEASANT_WOMAN), as well as the dumb kids (BOY and GIRL) all have pretty drab colors from what I can remember. There are only so many shades of poo brown, and they're all equally ugly.

randcolr.2da didn't exist in BG1, at least, so all the commonders are individually coloured. And coloured garishly. Pink shirts with teal pants, yellow pants and red jackets... hehehe, it's certainly a scene.

Can't you just make a new column in radcolr.2da, and reference that?

The entries can only go up to 255 without crashing the game. It already goes up to 253, so sucks to be us. :-\

As devSin says, the columns are separated. If you just change peasant-column, the other creatures should be unaffected, unless Bioware has screwed up things.

Probably just better/easier to change the colour to a pre-existing puke-brown, rather than edit the .2da since, again, a mod might want a flamboyant random colour for a character. Would make it flop if they turned out to be wearing grey or brown.

It'd probably be easier to point the creatures to the 2da rather than changing the creatures randomly separated.

I'm not too sure what this sentence means.

Not to mention the fact that the creatures often appear several times in the big areas, so if you change one .cre-file to use one specific colour, *all* actors in an area using that .cre will have that colour, while the actors will have different colours if referred to the .2da. That must surely be better?

I never suggested using fixed colours. randcolr.2da is the way to go, for sure. Just without editing it.

It'd probably be easier to point the creatures to the 2da rather than changing the creatures randomly separated.

I'm not too sure what this sentence means.

I meant that it's easier to make all creatures you want affected to use the 2da rather than patching each creature in the tp2 using some obscure randomisation-scheme. You'll reduce the size of the code by lots of lines.

I meant that it's easier to make all creatures you want affected to use the 2da rather than patching each creature in the tp2 using some obscure randomisation-scheme. You'll reduce the size of the code by lots of lines.

Heh, yes, we all know my aversion to lots and lots of tp2 code. [/tongue-in-cheek]

Heh, yes, we all know my aversion to lots and lots of tp2 code. [/tongue-in-cheek]

No comment. :)

Archived