Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

17 minutes ago, Enigmajazz said:

This part now seems to have resolved

But... I just replicated it in an otherwise unmodded game! The spirits disappeared as soon as they appeared. But the spell looks exactly like the normal shaman's dance .SPL. I don't get why that happens?

EDIT - or, is it that there were no enemies around when I summoned them? Is that a thing with shamans? I must say I've never played with one.

It seems to be an inconsistent bug, there don't have to be enemies around for them to stay. I just tried on unmodded game and fully modded game and it was fine literally straight after dialogue at start of SOA so no enemies there (this is exactly where it failed before). Really not sure why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

On 4/12/2022 at 5:53 PM, Enigmajazz said:

It seems to be an inconsistent bug, there don't have to be enemies around for them to stay. I just tried on unmodded game and fully modded game and it was fine literally straight after dialogue at start of SOA so no enemies there (this is exactly where it failed before). Really not sure why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Well, glad I wasted an hour trying to fix it :wallbash:;)

Meantime I have updated the mod to version 0.83. The main changes are:

1. Fixed multiclass Shamans. They now get the spell choice item ability and the Shaman Dance and Detect Illusions abilities when a sphere system is used. I have changed the Shaman Dance ability from being a self-created version, to a straight clone of the original unmodded .SPL. In my testing I still saw instances where an animal spirit was dismissed as soon as it was summoned... but at least now I can say it's not the fault of this mod. (Unless there's some other weird restriction that I don't understand... hopefully there's no hidden hard-coded class check or anything like that.)

2. Added a sphere-choice dialogue. Right now this is given to Ur-Priests, who start with major access to about seven spheres and can add access to a new sphere at every odd level from 1 through 17, for a final tally of access to 16 spheres :O. This huge array of available spells and the ability to tailor your spellbook to your own liking should really make this kit shine. The other kit that gets access to this ability is the Scion of Bhaal, which I designed more or less just for Charname. It is based on the Deathstalker kit in Faiths & Avatars, but I allow the player to choose access to 5 more spheres of your own choosing, to have some direction over Charname's budding divinity. So if you want to lean into the more natural side of death, you can take access to Plant/Earth/Decay, or if you want to be more spiritual you can take access to Air/Spirit/Thought, etc. Up to you. This kit will get access to new spheres at levels 3, 6, 10, 15, and 20. NOTE: these two kits will only get this ability if you use one of the three proper sphere systems (FnP, nuFnP, or 2E). It should work fine with 5E casting, but this will not add access to any spells if you use the FnP ability to learn and cast spells like a sorcerer. Integration with that system will be difficult, I need to figure out how it can be done.

3. The '2E' sphere system has been updated. I marked this as experimental for a while, because it has been quite unbalanced. I want this to be something for players who are PnP purists and want to see the PnP system recreated pretty faithfully. Most of my sphere systems change the level of various spells in order to balance the spheres, and add some wizard spells to round things out. In the 2E system I did not want to do either of those things. But then, how to make it balanced and enjoyable? I looked at information on the web describing the AD&D 2E spheres, but it is all a mish-mash, there is really no definitive listing of spheres and the associated spells. I looked at the Deities of Faerun mod, but that one diverted away from PnP just as much as this one (the DoF spheres of Travelers, Trickery, and Weave pretty perfectly copy FnP's spheres of Exploration, Deception, and Magic). I cast about for a while, and... then I realized the most true-to PnP sphere system around is right here on G3 - Divine Remix, made by our own @CamDawg! I glanced at the DR system and it became immediately obvious - this is the best pure-PnP adaptation of spell spheres to the BG games. So I took the DR spell/sphere list as my inspiration and remade the FnP 2E sphere system in its image. I don't think it's a perfect sphere system - some spheres have pitifully few spells, like Astral and Numbers. And this is not intended to replace DR or create exactly the same experience. But if you want a DR-like sphere system, very true to PnP and balance be damned, and if you want to be able to use other FnP goodies like sorcerer-style casting etc., then this is now an official option.

4. The new FnP sphere system has been expanded a bit, with the spheres of Deceit and Time. Very few kits get access to these spheres.

5. Sphere names can now be traified! ( @mickabouille you may be interested in this.) This was a good thing to do in general, and it helped make the sphere-choice dialogue system adaptable enough to work with any sphere system. Unfortunately, it means you can no longer easily change the sphere names yourself by doing a simple find/replace in the sphere system .tpa file. Modifying the spheres of a sphere system is more involved now, since these sphere names live in the mod's setup.tra file, and the English versions must match the sphere names in the sphere system .tpa file and the HLA table .txt file names in the HLAs subfolder. On the bright side, I'm pretty sure nobody was actually modifying these things, so it doesn't matter very much! :laugh:

Cheers.

Edited by subtledoctor

I just installed the last version 0.83.1 on a blank BG2:EE.

When i tried to installed the "Ranger Kits" i got the following error:
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "might_and_guile/lib/markers/d5__echan.d5")

It seems that the file "d5__echan.d5" does not exist.

Uninstalled    901 files for [FAITHS_AND_POWERS/FAITHS_AND_POWERS.TP2] component 37.
Unable to Unlink [faiths_and_powers/backup/37/READLN.37]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "faiths_and_powers/backup/37/READLN.37")
Unable to Unlink [faiths_and_powers/backup/37/READLN.37.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "faiths_and_powers/backup/37/READLN.37.TEXT")
FAITHS_AND_POWERS/FAITHS_AND_POWERS.TP2  0 21 Installed ~oFnP: the original Faiths & Powers sphere system~
FAITHS_AND_POWERS/FAITHS_AND_POWERS.TP2  0 30 Installed ~Give Option to Cast Like Sorcerers (do not install if planning to use 5E casting)~
FAITHS_AND_POWERS/FAITHS_AND_POWERS.TP2  0 31 Installed ~Install Cleric kits~
FAITHS_AND_POWERS/FAITHS_AND_POWERS.TP2  0 33 Installed ~Install Druid kits~
FAITHS_AND_POWERS/FAITHS_AND_POWERS.TP2  0 35 Installed ~Install Paladin kits~
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "might_and_guile/lib/markers/d5__echan.d5")
Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-FAITHS_AND_POWERS.DEBUG and look for support at: SubtleD and Grammarsalad
Using Language [English]
[English] has 4 top-level TRA files
[faiths_and_powers/language/english/setup.tra] has 1317 translation strings
[faiths_and_powers/language/english/IWD_spells.tra] has 177 translation strings
[faiths_and_powers/language/english/new_spells.tra] has 179 translation strings
[faiths_and_powers/language/english/HLA.tra] has 75 translation strings

@subtledoctor Hi I'm noting two faith and powers related issues.

1. The shaman monk appears to just be a shaman monk, the monk abilities are not applied at all and QD_MCT01.spl does not have the monk abilities listed for the shaman monk (the druid monk works as intended). This issue only applies when a FNP sphere is installed and can be replicated with just monastic orders, the two components for the sphere, and multiclass shamans. There is no error reported on installation. 

(multiclass shamans otherwise appear to be working properly 😀, thanks)

Looks like this is the qd_multiclass for the shaman monk without the sphere:

image.png.1e50af5b9fc71f0eafb77fd2e2eb0a61.png

And this is the version with a sphere installed:

image.png.29d6694d922a2af8e57bbfdfccff0f8a.png

It looks like the thief part is just missed off so the issue should be easily rectified. 

2. When installing the soulblade in will to power and the multiclass bards in might and guile this error causes the installation to fail:

image.png.1c2c790112fd02d3e7e1b58ddc9b95c9.png

I am using the nusphere and @12501 in fnp setup refers to "Universal".

Of note the soulblade appears to have a sphere of Helm referred to in the installation whereas the other wtp kits don't refer to a sphere at all so this very much appears that the issue is due to the @12501 on the faith and powers sphere file. This is replicated with just a sphere system installed then trying to install the soulblade and multiclass bards. 

Looks like traifying the faith and powers sphere system does not allow the kits to be installed afterwards by different mods as they are not reading the correct tra file. 

QD_MCT01.SPL

What exactly does major, minor and focus access to a particular sphere mean?

I was planning to use the Nu_Fnp system, however one comment I have is that 'Universal' and 'All' seems like kinda the same thing...no? Especially since almost all deities get access to All, just as they would Universal. At the same time, I realize that the previous 'Life' sphere would almost be a necessity for a cleric kit to feel like they can actually perform their most iconic role (party healer), even if it doesn't fit thematically with a lot of deities.

Edit: well, personally I wouldn't mind a cleric that doesn't have healing spells, but maybe others would. I guess it's sort of the expectation.

Edited by Quester
8 hours ago, Enigmajazz said:

When installing the soulblade in will to power and the multiclass bards in might and guile this error causes the installation to fail

Yeah i just experienced this as well. It's a consequence of making the spheres translatable. For a quick fix, open fnp_sphere_list.tpa in your override folder and move this line:

WITH_TRA ~faiths_and_powers/language/english/setup.tra~ BEGIN

higher - right underneath this line:

COPY ~faiths_and_powers/data/sphere_systems/d5altsph.2da~ ~override~

Then you'll be able to install WtP, MnG, and any other mods that connect to FnP.

I should have a fix uploaded soon.

Edited by subtledoctor

@subtledoctor
Think there is typo in most recent semi_spontaneous version (9.10) in might and guile and faith and powers:

ACTION_FOR_EACH fatigue_spell IN ~spcl939~ ~cdidrif~ BEGIN
  ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%fatigue_spell%.spl~) BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~%fatigue_spell%.spl~ ~override~
      LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR silent = 1 match_opcode = 93 match_parameter1 = 0 match_paramater2 = 1 parameter1 = 2 END
      LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR silent = 1 match_opcode = 101 match_parameter2 = 93 match_timing = 9 opcode = 177 parameter1 = 0 parameter2 = 2 STR_VAR resource = ~d5zifat9~ END
    BUT_ONLY
  END
END

ACTION_FOR_EACH fatigue_item IN ~bdamul12~ BEGIN
  ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%fatigue_item%.itm~) BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~%fatigue_spell%.itm~ ~override~
      LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR silent = 1 match_opcode = 93 match_parameter1 = 0 match_paramater2 = 1 parameter1 = 2 END
      LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR silent = 1 match_opcode = 101 match_parameter2 = 93 match_timing = 2 opcode = 177 parameter1 = 0 parameter2 = 2 STR_VAR resource = ~d5zifat2~ END
    BUT_ONLY
  END
END

Think the bold and underlined line should say fatigue_item.itm. This is calling install errors for me as it is looking for cdidrif,itm, which is not in the game. 

Edited by Enigmajazz
4 hours ago, Quester said:

What exactly does major, minor and focus access to a particular sphere mean?

Major means all spells of 1st through 7th level. Minor means only spells of 1st through 3rd level. Focus means all spells through 7th level, but they appear in your spellbook one level lower, so the 2nd through 7th level spells become 1st through 6th level spells.

one comment I have is that 'Universal' and 'All' seems like kinda the same thing...no?

Well, 'Universal' is not really a sphere, per se... some spells need to be available to every priest, at their normal spell level, completely unchanged by the sphere system. Otherwise you can get into trouble, unable to proceed through Character Generation. So these are spells that every single divine caster can cast. Then you get your sphere spells on top of that.

The 'All' sphere is sort of like that in PnP, so we could theoretically make this the 'All' "sphere" and have an extra sphere available. But in this case I kept them separate. I put most of the healing spells and most other "this is a typical cleric spell" spells into All, and give most deities major access to it... but not all. Some few only have minor access. But yeah the line between these groups is a bit fluid, and moreso in this particular sphere system.

At the same time, I realize that the previous 'Life' sphere would almost be a necessity for a cleric kit to feel like they can actually perform their most iconic role (party healer), even if it doesn't fit thematically with a lot of deities.

Edit: well, personally I wouldn't mind a cleric that doesn't have healing spells, but maybe others would. I guess it's sort of the expectation.

There are some deities that don't have full access to healing spells - Gruumsh is an example. In the main FnP system I only give minor access to the Life sphere to a bunch of deities, and also to druids - for more healing in that system, druids must use Regeneration. But in the 'New FnP' sphere system I want more kits to have access to a broader cross-section of spells, so I put healing spells into 'All' and more kits have full access to them.