Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

The following are fixed in version 0.83.4:

On 4/19/2022 at 4:05 AM, Enigmajazz said:

shaman monk appears to just be a shaman monk, the monk abilities are not applied at all and QD_MCT01.spl does not have the monk abilities listed

21 hours ago, Quester said:

typo in sphere_list_new_fnp.tpa : for CLERIC_CAMOUFLAGE  the sphere reads Deceiti

On 4/19/2022 at 4:05 AM, Enigmajazz said:

When installing the soulblade in will to power and the multiclass bards in might and guile this error causes the installation to fail:

19 hours ago, Enigmajazz said:

Think there is typo in most recent semi_spontaneous version (9.10)

EDIT - this last one is fixed everywhere else (MnG, 5E Casting, etc.) as well. 

Edited by subtledoctor

Nice doc.

I noticed in the Plant sphere there are spells called both CLERIC_GOODBERRY and CLERIC_GOOD_BERRIES. Is that intentional?

edit: also in the Water sphere there are two different Acid Storm: WIZARD_ACID_STORM and b_w724 . I am not convinced they should even be there (along with Protection from Acid)...the Water sphere already has so many spells and acid doesn't seem like it fits 100%. Not sure which sphere should get it though...Decay? That's a little light on spells.

I know I can change them locally for my own use, I'm just thinking out loud here...

Edited by Quester

Version 0.83.5 is updated to include spells from the Made In Heaven divine spellpack in the various sphere systems.

in the Plant sphere there are spells called both CLERIC_GOODBERRY and CLERIC_GOOD_BERRIES. Is that intentional?

Yes. This spell has had different IDS names in different games, but it is the same spell. Adding entries for both means that whichever one is in your game will work with the sphere system.

also in the Water sphere there are two different Acid Storm: WIZARD_ACID_STORM and b_w724

Again, covering different bases. If the spell is added to the IDS map and becomes SPPR7xx.SPL, then that one will be used. If it is not added to the IDS map and only added as a bare file, then that one will be used.

the Water sphere already has so many spells and acid doesn't seem like it fits 100%

The water sphere is a bit weird, it includes cold/ice spells, acid spells, and a few pure water spells (conjure elemental, smashing wave, mist of eldath, watery fist). Frankly I think there's a strong case for the sphere of water to include acid-based spells but NOT cold-based spells. Acid is more or less water that hurts you, so it fits for water-based spells in a tactical combat game like this. Cold is something different - a lack of energy, a lack of heat. Nothing particular watery about that; it's just that a bunch of cold-based spells involve ice, which is cold water.

EDIT - I just played around with it, and there's actually enough spells to almost make a dedicated sphere of Cold:

CLERIC_FROST_FINGERS                    1
CLERIC_RESIST_COLD                      1
CLERIC_ICE_BLADE                        2
WIZARD_ICELANCE                         3
WIZARD_SNILLOCS_SNOWBALL_SWARM          3
CLERIC_PROTECTION_FROM_COLD             4
WIZARD_CONE_OF_COLD                     4
WIZARD_ICE_STORM                        5
CLERIC_CONJURE_ICE_ELEMENTAL            6

Just needs that ice elemental (easy enough) and lacks a 7th-level spell.

Edited by subtledoctor

Question: I've just completed a seemingly successful installation that includes faiths and powers and EET (and naturally a billion other things). I selected Sphere option number 5. 

However: I cannot create cleric characters, as when it asks me to select my memorized spells, the list is complete empty and I cannot continue. I checked on the status of clerics by quickly making another type of character and going and grabbing viconia. She has only a couple of spells availalbe at each level, from the universal sphere. (bless and curse at first level for example)

Am I missing how to select spheres, or is there something else I need to do? 

2 hours ago, Coldaine said:

I cannot create cleric characters, as when it asks me to select my memorized spells, the list is complete empty and I cannot continue. I checked on the status of clerics by quickly making another type of character and going and grabbing viconia. She has only a couple of spells availalbe at each level, from the universal sphere. (bless and curse at first level for example)

Something didn't install correctly, or something else you installed afterward is getting in the way. Those spells you see for Viconia:

CLERIC_BLESS                           	0	=	Universal // level 1
CLERIC_CURSE                           	0	=	Universal // level 1
CLERIC_CHANT                           	0	=	Universal // level 2
CLERIC_PRAYER                          	0	=	Universal // level 3
CLERIC_DISPEL_MAGIC                    	0	=	Universal // level 3
CLERIC_REMOVE_CURSE                    	0	=	Universal // level 3
CLERIC_LESSER_RESTORATION              	0	=	Universal // level 4
CLERIC_RECITATION                      	0	=	Universal // level 4
CLERIC_RIGHTEOUS_WRATH_OF_THE_FAITHFUL 	0	=	Universal // level 5
CLERIC_WONDROUS_RECALL                 	0	=	Universal // level 6
CLERIC_RESTORATION                     	0	=	Universal // level 7
CLERIC_HOLY_WORD                       	0	=	Universal // level 7
CLERIC_UNHOLY_WORD                     	0	=	Universal // level 7

...these are "universal" in that they are priests spells with no exclusion flags and are not in HIDESPL.2da, so they are added to every cleric at every level-up, and they are available to memorize at character generation. These spells are kept separate from the rest of the sphere system specifically to allow you to get through the character generation memorization screen. The fact that Viconia has them suggests that they are coded correctly... so something else is blocking you from memorizing them.

Separately, the sphere system isn't working if Viconia doesn't have any spells. (Does she have a kit?) You will see the sphere spells added to the character generation screen right after you memorize the universal spells; and you will see them added to NPC spellbooks after they join - assuming they have a kit with sphere access.

1) Check if FnP component #80 is installed ("Apply Sphere System")

2) Did you happen to install OlvynSpells or something like that, that messes with the character generation UI?

3) Make sure that any cleric in your party actually has a cleric kit. (They get spells from deities, so they need to follow a specific deity to get spells.

A Cold sphere makes sense I think, if you can pull it off. Would be...cool. 😝

Still not convinced about acid belonging in Water sphere, maybe I will change that locally. Although if you add a Cold sphere, Water will suddenly have a dearth of spells so it may need acid spells I guess.

As I was working myself on integrating both Made in Heaven's Spell Pack and SoD to BG2EE Item Upgrade's spells into the spheres, I think you missed a few from the former's spell restorations. Anyway here is my take on sphere assignment:

Spoiler

Made in Heaven Spell Pack:

CLERIC_BREAK_ENCHANTMENT                0    =    Universal // level 5
CLERIC_HALLOW                            5    =    All // good clerics only
CLERIC_UNHALLOW                            5    =    All // evil clerics only
CLERIC_CIRCLE_OF_PROTECTION                1    =    Protection
CLERIC_MASS_NEGATIVE_PLANE_PROTECTION    7    =    Protection
CLERIC_STRIKING                            1    =    War
CLERIC_CURE_BLIND_DEAF                    1    =    Perception
CLERIC_SEEKING                            2    =    Perception
CLERIC_RESIST_ACID_CORROSION            2    =    Vigor
CLERIC_HEROISM                            4    =    Vigor
CLERIC_SUPERHEROISM                        6    =    Vigor
CLERIC_AURA_OF_VITALITY                    7    =    Vigor
CLERIC_ANIMAL_FRIENDSHIP                1    =    Animal
CLERIC_REPEL_INSECTS                    4    =    Insects
CLERIC_STICKS_TO_SNAKES                    4    =    Plant
CLERIC_LIGHTNING_STORM                    5    =    Air
CLERIC_ENDURE_HEAT_COLD                    1    =    Water
CLERIC_ENDURE_HEAT_COLD                    1    =    Fire
CLERIC_INFERNO                            5    =    Fire
CLERIC_CELESTIAL_PROTECTION                6    =    Spirit // good clerics only

SoD to BG2EE Item Upgrade:

CLERIC_SUNDERING_VITRIOL                3    =    Decay
CLERIC_CAUSTIC_QUAGMIRE                    4    =    Decay
CLERIC_ENT_SUMMON                        5    =    Plant
CLERIC_CRUSHING_EARTH                    6    =    Earth
CLERIC_HOAR_OF_FROST                    7    =    Water
CLERIC_PENETRATING_COLD                    7    =    Water
WIZARD_DANCING_LIGHTS                    1    =    Radiance
WIZARD_DARKNESS_15_FOOT                    2    =    Shadow
CLERIC_GRASPING_SHADOWS                    4    =    Shadow
CLERIC_SHADOW_BOLT                        5    =    Shadow
CLERIC_SHAR_EMBRACE                        6    =    Shadow
CLERIC_CONJURE_SHADOW_ELEMENTAL            6    =    Shadow
CLERIC_DEVOURING_DARKNESS                7    =    Shadow

Edited by Quester
59 minutes ago, Enigmajazz said:

Edit2: looks like tome and blood has been updated for compatibility since I did my install, which probably fixes this?

I hope so? I saw that problem and fixed it like two weeks ago, I hope there isn’t a new version of the same problem...

On 4/22/2022 at 4:12 AM, Awachi said:

Do these spheres/spells also get assigned to enemies, along with scripting to use them? 

No, that would be quite a project. Changing enemy spells lists and breaking compatibility with SCS etc. would be a Very Bad Thing. 

Aye. Just wondering what your philosophy was on how this impacts the challenge factor. PC will always be at an advantage against an equally resourced AI, so more options for the PC results in a natural advantage, unless those options were qualitatively null, which these do not seem to be. 

1 hour ago, Awachi said:

PC will always be at an advantage against an equally resourced AI, so more options for the PC results in a natural advantage, unless those options were qualitatively null, which these do not seem to be.

That's not exactly true. The net result of this mod for most kits is... generally more spells than in vanilla. Especially druids, who have very few spells in the unmodded game. But then again druids with IWD spells have a lot of good spells, and this mod uses the IWD spells. And SCS also lets enemies make use of IWD spells. So, in that sense, there is not much inherent advantage here: both the player and enemy priests will have more spells, and enemies will be able to make good use of most of them.

Remember too that the sphere system takes away spells in spheres you don't have access to. Playing a cleric in these games often assumes a certain set of spells will be available to you: Chaotic Commands for those illithid areas, Heal for combat emergencies, Negative Plane Protection for vampires. Et cet. But with a sphere system you have to undo those assumptions. You may have a cleric with no access to Chaotic Commands (as I did in my recent BG2 game). Or with no access to Heal or Resurrection. Meanwhile enemies will have access to the full gamut of the base game's broad set of "cleric" spells (plus all the IWD cleric spells!). So you end up with SCS scripts guiding enemies in the use of spells that you don't have.

So when all is said and done, you could think about spell-adding mods in three categories:

1. Spell Revisions and IWDification which add a bunch of spell, but have special handling in SCS scripts such that enemies will use all those new spells against you
  2. Faiths & Powers which gives player priests a bunch of new spells but also takes a bunch of spells away that they are used to having
  3. Other spell packs which add a bunch of new spells that are purely bonus resources for human players

If you really want to get the best sense of how these sphere systems work, one thing that I found to be very fun was to run a cleric-only party through IWDEE. I ran one about halfway through the game back when I was working on the sphere system: two warrior/clerics, two pure clerics, a cleric/thief and a cleric/mage. I used a bunch of different kits with widely varying sphere access. This let me really get a very good sense of the kind of role each kit could play in a party - some have good summoning but others cannot summon anything at all; some had good combat buffs - and not much else! - while others had almost no buffs and had to be played more like mages. The kits definitely did not end up playing like a "cleric-plus."

Edited by subtledoctor
6 minutes ago, Quester said:

Currently you've got Protection from Cold in two different versions in the Water sphere, one at level 3 and one at level 5. I guess one is from MIH and the other from SR, but I'm not sure what the difference is between them.

SR has protection from every element, they are all uniform and all 5th level spells. If you have SR installed this will be preserved. 

MiH adds a similar spell with the same IDS name, but at a lower lever. If you have MiH installed but not SR, then that one will be used. 

Because both mods use the same IDS name, it looks like it might be a duplicate. But really it is just how the sphere system accounts for different possible situations as far as what other mods players might have installed before FnP.