The broken lanthern quest

Guest TheMadViking

Guest TheMadViking

First of all, great mod.

I have a question about the broken Rhynn lanthern quest and the missing lenses. I have beaten Bodhi and gotten hold of the lanthern. I get a message, that i have to go to windspear hills and the lanthorn will guide me. However, after having searched every nook and cranny in Windspear hills, I have not found out what i have to do.

Can anyone help or have anyone experienced the same problem.

I have installed the latest version (v16)

Yes, I experienced this and found the cause.  This quest unfortunately does not work right with SCS or other mods that replace a creature's battle scripts.  The reason for this is that the code to create the lens item(s) is added to certain creature's (e.g. Firkraag's) vanilla battle scripts, but SCS replaces these with its own.

My suggestion would be to use the area script instead.

I’m not sure I understand the question. Angel’s diagnosis of the incompatibility is correct, but it’s not really something SCS can fix.

(My own implementation of the Lanthorn quest doesn’t have this problem, but that’s a quite different Quest in any case.)

On 1/2/2020 at 10:37 PM, Guest TheMadViking said:

First of all, great mod.

I have a question about the broken Rhynn lanthern quest and the missing lenses. I have beaten Bodhi and gotten hold of the lanthern. I get a message, that i have to go to windspear hills and the lanthorn will guide me. However, after having searched every nook and cranny in Windspear hills, I have not found out what i have to do.

try this https://baldursextendedworld.com/Broken-Lanthorn/

3 hours ago, InKal said:

Again, that’s a completely different quest. Oversight’s version, Roxanne’s version and my version are all different quests around the same underlying idea. (Mine is a pretty conservative restoration of the original cut content; Oversight’s has the same idea as the original cut content but a quite different implementation; Roxanne’s is a new quest loosely inspired by the cut content.)

17 minutes ago, Caedwyr said:

The Oversight alignment and class fixes seem to work in my EET game if installed on BG2 prior to EET.

That's interesting, thanks for the tip. I'm actually mostly interested in alignment fixes from The Oversight. 

These all installed without errors, though I'm not sure if the later two actually took effect as I haven't gotten that far in my testing.

a. Alignment Correction
        b. Class Tweaks/Fixes
        d. Improved Continuity
        e. Expanded Brynnlaw

Edited by Caedwyr
On 1/2/2020 at 3:37 PM, Guest TheMadViking said:

First of all, great mod.

I have a similar problem. When i took out Bodhi, the Lanthorn said that there were 3 missing lenses. At that point in time, i only had the Temple sewers to complete. I took out the Alhoon in the secret area and there was nothing. I took out Mekrath and the Lanthorn went from 3 lenses to 2. After killing the Unseeing Eye, there was no change. I went back to Elhan and he said to retrieve the Lanthorn, there was no odd clues as to where to look for them. I'm stuck. Of the possible owners of the lenses, there aren't any left. What do i do now?

22 hours ago, Truman said:

I have a similar problem. When i took out Bodhi, the Lanthorn said that there were 3 missing lenses. At that point in time, i only had the Temple sewers to complete. I took out the Alhoon in the secret area and there was nothing. I took out Mekrath and the Lanthorn went from 3 lenses to 2. After killing the Unseeing Eye, there was no change. I went back to Elhan and he said to retrieve the Lanthorn, there was no odd clues as to where to look for them. I'm stuck. Of the possible owners of the lenses, there aren't any left. What do i do now?

See my earlier answer; if you have SCS or another mod installed that changes creature's battle scripts, the lenses won't be created in the designated holders' inventories.  (This was a bad design choice IMHO, far better would have been to append to the area scripts, or to at least attach a separate script to the creatures.)

Anyway, if this is the case, the only way to continue is to use the console (or a save game editor) to create these items in your inventory.  First create the one that belongs to the creature or location you were prompted for, that should give you a hint on which one is needed next.

• KishLnsP - Firkraag
  • KishLnsC - Unseeing Eye
  • KishLnsM - Captain Haegan (leader of the slavers in the slums)
  • KishLnsR - Shadow Dragon
  • KishLnsF - Torgal
  • KishLnsD - Trademeet Rakshasa
  • KishLnsT - Kangaxx
Edited by Angel

Yes, i figured out how to use the console to get the lenses i needed, i was hoping for something else. I have looked at DavidW's Lanthorn Quest, would i be better off with that mod than the one from Ovedrsight? I ask because if i were to reinstall, i will still use Stratagems, but, with there being two choices for a Lanthorn Quest, which would i be better off with?

To repeat a comment of mine from earlier:

"Mine is a pretty conservative restoration of the original cut content; Oversight’s has the same idea as the original cut content but a quite different implementation."

I - obviously - prefer mine but the differences are comparatively minor (I think mine might be a bit more dialog-heavy, and you have to kill Kangaxx in Kish's). Given that mine doesn't have technical incompatibilities with SCS, you're probably better off using mine than trying to coax Kish's into working with SCS.

There is a fairly detailed readme in my version that explains what it does in some depth, in case that's useful to you.