BG1NPC Bugthread

jastey

There is a banter between Xan and Montaron.  In my game, it was the first banter between them.  A quote from it:

Xan: It's just another step to the inevitable in this doomed mission of mine. *sighs* Mulahey's certainly not the source of this iron shortage. I doubt I'll be able to live to see who is behind it all, let alone see tomorrow.

That did not sound quite right.  Shouldn't it have been phrased like this instead to make more sense?

"... I doubt I'll be able to live to see tomorrow, let alone see who is behind it all."

i.e., he doubted that he would live to see tomorrow; therefore, he would be far less likely to live longer (more than one more day) to be able to see who was behind the iron shortage.

Edited by ktchong

I see your point, but on the other hand the "see tomorrow" clearly represents an afterthought occurring to Xan as he muses on his chances to uncover the plot, so it makes sense for it to come last.

If you wanted to change it, I suggest "That is, if I even live to see tomorrow" or a pithy " - or even tomorrow".

Something very minor in "Dynaheir's Missing Journal":

Drizzt gave the Torn Parchment to my party.  I read the parchment and use "copy note" to copy it into my journal.  The heading/subject of the journal note just says "Page". 

Anyway, I open a save file and read the journal entry in EE Keeper.  I think the correct heading/subject for that journal entry is "Torn Parchment Page", which is commented inside the square bracket. 

A minor fix.  I just edited it in EE keeper, but you should fix it in your next update.

VBGT9NP.jpeg

71WnHQU.jpeg

SgOMaLT.jpeg

Edited by ktchong

In BGEE Chapter 3:  Infiltrated the Bandit Camp by approaching Raiken in Peldvale and saying my party wanted to join the bandits.   Raiken took my party to the Bandit Camp.  azok showed up, which caused Kivan got the party into a fight with the Tazok and the bandits. 

Then, this entry popped up atop the screen:

Journal updated
Kivan and Tazok

Unsurprisingly, my companion Kivan was recognized by Tazok, but he did not get his chance to skewer the half-ogre. The bandit was apparently too busy to deal with the revenge-crazy elf.  Tazok is travelling to a mine site. This mine site could be the home base of whoever controls the bandits.

However, this entry was NOT logged into the journal.  The journal was NOT update with this entry.

Moreover, it broke the "Kivan and Tazok" quest line in the journal as well.  When I completed Chapter 3, the "Kivan and Tazok" quest in the journal did NOT update or finish as it was supposed to do.  Talking to Officer Vai in Jovial Juggler in Chapter 4 did NOT help at all.  The quest remained open in my journal.

My guess is: the pop-up  above was supposed to be the final entry in the "Kivan and Tazok" quest, but it did not register into the journal.

Edited by ktchong

Continued from the last post...

Anyway, I'm gonna use EE Keeper to edit the save file and close the quest.  I'll just use the original journal entry from BioWare/Beamdog, (i.e., "Kivan and Tazok:  Kivan was unable to avenge his wife. During the fight, Tazok fled and turned the camp on us.")   Hopefully the mod is not going to mess around with this  quest and journal anymore and then cause more problems later.  I think Kivan's timer was correctly turned off.

Edited by ktchong

Upon closer examination of my journal:

Journal updated
Kivan and Tazok

Unsurprisingly, my companion Kivan was recognized by Tazok, but he did not get his chance to skewer the half-ogre. The bandit was apparently too busy to deal with the revenge-crazy elf.  Tazok is travelling to a mine site. This mine site could be the home base of whoever controls the bandits.

... was added to the journal as a completed quest, but it was NOT added under "Kivan an Tazok".  Instead, it was incorrectly added under a newly-created "Kivan's bandit hunt" as a completed quest (with the horrible capitalization,) thereby leaving the "Kivan and Tazok" quest active and open, (which should have been closed.) 

Edited by ktchong

I've also experienced this bug where the vanilla EE Kivan quest "Kivan and Tazok" does not close as it should after the bandit camp battle. Relatedly, BG1NPC gives Kivan an interjection if you choose to just travel to the bandit camp via the map to attack it rather than using the bandits in Peldvale to infiltrate the camp. The interjection has Kivan stopping for a moment to pray before you assault the camp. Unfortunately, this interjection also triggers incorrectly if you choose to infiltrate the camp via the bandits in Peldvale after the battle has concluded, at which point the interjection is nonsensical since Kivan refers to praying regarding an upcoming battle that your party just finished. 

Honestly, unless it messes with Kivan's other BG1NPC quests, the whole Kivan and Tazok questline should just revert to vanilla EE behavior because Beamdog did a good job with it IMO with the exception of the quest timer. 

47 minutes ago, ktchong said:

Instead, it was incorrectly added under a newly-created "Kivan's bandit hunt" as a completed quest (with the horrible capitalization,) thereby leaving the "Kivan and Tazok" quest active and open, (which should have been closed.)

The "Kivan's bandit hunt" doesn't seem to be from BG1NPC Project (the title). The quest entry is. Thanks for the report.

4 hours ago, jastey said:

The "Kivan's bandit hunt" doesn't seem to be from BG1NPC Project (the title). The quest entry is. Thanks for the report.

Just read and checked the readme for BG1 Unfinished Business...  "Kivan and Tazok" is a component (no. 6) that belongs to BG1UB.

I do not have a user account with Pocket Plane Group, but I saw that you are also a mod over there.  So you tell them to fix it.

Edited by ktchong
9 minutes ago, ktchong said:

So you tell them to fix it.

JFC . . . It's a wonder people make mods at all when people like you order them around like a customer service rep. Need I remind you that all of these mods are provided for free by volunteers! 

That all said, it does sound like that may be a bug with BG1UB because it is supposed to block the Kivan and Tazok component from being installed on the enhanced edition games. 

Because it is a bug, and I was just being direct and to the point.

Frankly it does not matter to me whether they fix or not.  I am determined to finally finish the original Baldur's Gate anthology FOR ONCE, and then I will NOT ever replay the games.  I have way too many games on backlog to go back and replay anything, (all the way back to Jagged Alliance 1 and 2, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, KoToR 2, Mass Effect trilogy, The Witcher trilogy (prolly should wait for the Witcher 1 remake,) Fallout 3 and 4, Batman Arkham series, etc., etc., and of course, Baldur's Gate 3.)  An only feasible plan is to play through all of them ONCE and ONLY ONCE.

I have already used EE Keeper to fix the problem for myself, (i.e., removed the active "Kivan and Tazok" journal entry, replaced/swapped the modded "Kivan's bandit hunt" entry with the original entry from BioWare/Beamdog.)  So, for me, the problem is already fixed. 

But the mod should fix and update for people who will play the game in the future after me.  If not, that is fine as well.  I personally certainly will not benefit from this bug fix because I won't be going back, replay it, and get to install and use the updated version.  No time for to ever replay a long game.

Edited by ktchong
1 hour ago, ktchong said:

I saw that you are also a mod over there.

Not officially. I'll keep the status as long as jcompton leaves it to me, but if it triggers such reactions I might ask him to remove it.

7 hours ago, ktchong said:

Because it is a bug, and I was just being direct and to the point.

Frankly it does not matter to me whether they fix or not.  I am determined to finally finish the original Baldur's Gate anthology FOR ONCE, and then I will NOT ever replay the games.  I have way too many games on backlog to go back and replay anything, (all the way back to Jagged Alliance 1 and 2, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, KoToR 2, Mass Effect trilogy, The Witcher trilogy (prolly should wait for the Witcher 1 remake,) Fallout 3 and 4, Batman Arkham series, etc., etc., and of course, Baldur's Gate 3.)  An only feasible plan is to play through all of them ONCE and ONLY ONCE.

I have already used EE Keeper to fix the problem for myself, (i.e., removed the active "Kivan and Tazok" journal entry, replaced/swapped the modded "Kivan's bandit hunt" entry with the original entry from BioWare/Beamdog.)  So, for me, the problem is already fixed. 

But the mod should fix and update for people who will play the game in the future after me.  If not, that is fine as well.  I personally certainly will not benefit from this bug fix because I won't be going back, replay it, and get to install and use the updated version.  No time for to ever replay a long game.

Since you like to be direct and to the point:

Yeah, I would really like your plans for the future if I have given a fuck in the principle, of course.

BTW, the bugreport is VERY appreciated, as soon as I have time to spare I will report it there IF it's the case. THANK YOU.

What's really upsetting is the attitude and your word choice. They're both - honestly - quite shitty.
If I am not clear enough:
WRONG:  ...but I saw that you are also a mod over there.  So you tell them to fix it.
RIGHT:    ...but I saw that you are also a mod over there. Could you please report the issue there for me?

We're talking of good manners, not modding.

Swithing back to modding talks, BG1UB's "Kivan and Tazok" component should not install itself if it detects BG1NPC 

BEGIN @8
REQUIRE_PREDICATE NOT (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~bdentboy.cre~) @90016 // Check for BGEEv2.5
FORBID_FILE ~override/X#BG1NPCPhase2.G3~ @90000

If you install it first (or pre-EET) it will of course be installed, but the content is MINIMAL, it just adds theese lines of dialogue:

@0    = ~Tazok! Do you recognize me? You will pay the price for the life of Deheriana.~
@1    = ~Recognise you? I kill many. Why would I remember their faces? But if I missed you last time, I give you second chance. YOU DIE TODAY INSTEAD!~
@2    = ~Flee, coward, but I will track you down. You cannot hide from my wrath.~
@3    = ~The beast has fallen, and she is avenged. May his foul hide suffer eternal torment at the hands of his victims!~

It doesn't seem to mess with the quest log, so I am not sure it is the culprit.

"Kivan's bandit hunt" is a journal entry of the vanilla game, it's probably a leftover bug of the vanilla game, probably the one talked HERE, on the Beamdog forum.

Edited by Frenzgyn
11 hours ago, ktchong said:

I probably wouldn't take my own advice (who listens to randoms on the internet on games you want to try out??). That said, you can consider this as the universe giving you fair warning (?)

Completely avoid Fallout 3 and 4. You can safely omit Mass Effect 2 & 3. Arkham City is the best one and really the only one you need to play from that series. Witcher 1 and 2 aren't BAD but the 3rd one is miles ahead in everything. I love Bloodlines and Kotor 2 to death, absolutely play those, and make sure you play with Wesp's patch and TSLCRM (but avoid the droid planet, that one was cut for a reason).

If your taste is similar to mine, you're going to want to replay the BGs anyway. 😜

EDIT Also, y u no Planescape: Torment???

Edited by Daulmakan