Forum Software Updates and Questions

1 hour ago, Mike1072 said:

I've just applied the latest forum software update.

For bugs in the forum software, the best we can do is hope that they're fixed in new updates or contact support to complain in case it's something they're not aware of.

Unfortunately the issues still persist even with the new software update.

It looks like I can work around the posting issue by using Firefox' Private Browsing mode, though.

6 hours ago, Sam. said:

Unfortunately, our cloud hosting hasn't been willing or able to set up rewrite rules for the old subdomains.  We are redirecting https://www.gibberlings3.net/iesdp/, however.

6 hours ago, Sam. said:

My browser history autofill keeps putting the old link at the top of the stack, and without careful scrutiny I tend to click the wrong one.

To encourage your browser to forget them, you could open your browser history, search for the non-functioning URLs, and remove them from your history.  It may also be worth checking to make sure you don't have it saved as a bookmark, since they like to suggest those as well.

I am not currently allowed to edit my posts or PMs.

firefox_MSX946ruyK.png

(e): Except for this one: presumably the forum software updated recently and some settings were inadvertently reset, erroneously putting a time limit on when edits can be made. Why is this forum software always changing settings when it updates? This isn't the first forum I've been on using this software that makes a habit of doing stuff like this...

Edited by Bartimaeus

I changed this--there's now a 30 minute window for post editing for the member group. (Which, first of all, you should be in the modder group, so that's the next thing I'm doing after posting this.)

There were recent concerns that another poster would go back and edit his or her posts to something less desirable. We're looking at better workarounds so that we're not punishing an entire group for the actions of a lone idiot.

12 hours ago, CamDawg said:

I changed this--there's now a 30 minute window for post editing for the member group. (Which, first of all, you should be in the modder group, so that's the next thing I'm doing after posting this.)

There were recent concerns that another poster would go back and edit his or her posts to something less desirable. We're looking at better workarounds so that we're not punishing an entire group for the actions of a lone idiot.

I prefer to think of myself as more of a petty editor than a proper modder, but I suppose it's reasonable enough, :p. As I understand it, the "Modder" group has traditionally been used to allow people to host (more of) their content on G3, right? There was never a need to add me to the group because I've always either hosted stuff on my Dropbox or GitHub, so that's probably why it's never happened until now.

Instead of gimping the entire Members group, one could alternatively remove the user(s) in question from the Members group while putting them into a new group that has the desired limitations...it's what I've done to certain users on boards I've administrated in the past.

Guest jastey_at_holidays
1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

As I understand it, the "Modder" group has traditionally been used to allow people to host (more of) their content on G3, right?

Modder at G3 is anyone who the admins noticed to mod. You have access to a hidden modder forum with helpful ressources like templates and can post posts in the Infinity Engine Modding News forum where the newsfeed about modding updates origins from. You also have more PM and file attachment space afaik. I don't think we have a "G3 modder" group with modders whos mods are actually officially hosted here.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Instead of gimping the entire Members group, one could alternatively remove the user(s) in question from the Members group while putting them into a new group that has the desired limitations...

Yes, we are still discussing whether we'll call this user group "Little Troll Club", "Look Who's Posting", or "Noober's Friends". And yes, that was a joke.

22 minutes ago, Guest jastey_at_holidays said:

Modder at G3 is anyone who the admins noticed to mod. You have access to a hidden modder forum with helpful ressources like templates and can post posts in the Infinity Engine Modding News forum where the newsfeed about modding updates origins from. You also have more PM and file attachment space afaik. I don't think we have a "G3 modder" group with modders whos mods are actually officially hosted here.

Thanks, :).

23 minutes ago, Guest jastey_at_holidays said:

Yes, we are still discussing whether we'll call this user group "Little Troll Club", "Look Who's Posting", or "Noober's Friends". And yes, that was a joke.

I'm all too happy to not have to deal with that sort of thing anymore. So is everyone else, as I was the type of "leader" that preferred to cut out morons entirely when they're wasting too much of everyone else's time and energy because I didn't have the patience to persistently deal with them on an interpersonal level, i.e. I wasn't suited for leadership, :p.

On 7/3/2022 at 4:19 PM, Guest jastey_at_holidays said:

"Members 8=D"

On 7/3/2022 at 9:19 AM, Guest jastey_at_holidays said:

Yes, we are still discussing whether we'll call this user group "Little Troll Club", "Look Who's Posting", or "Noober's Friends". [...]

This should be a thing, and my vote is "Noober's Friends".

Moreover, is there a way for a forum member to wholly and completely block another user's content from being seen?  I have found the "ignore user" option in the forum software to be largely inadequate.  Perhaps through a browser extension such as uBlock Origin or the like?

4 hours ago, Sam. said:

This should be a thing, and my vote is "Noober's Friends".

Moreover, is there a way for a forum member to wholly and completely block another user's content from being seen?  I have found the "ignore user" option in the forum software to be largely inadequate.  Perhaps through a browser extension such as uBlock Origin or the like?

More or less, with uBlock Origin:

www.gibberlings3.net##.ipsType_light.ipsComment_ignored.ipsComment
...removes the button to see an ignored user's comment.

www.gibberlings3.net##.ipsType_break.ipsType_blendLinks.cAuthorPane_author.ipsType_sectionHead > strong > .ipsType_break:upward(4):has-text(username)
...will remove the chosen username's comments (denoted by "username" at the end; all further rules will work the same way where you should replace only "username" with the username of your chosen member of ire) even if they happen to not be ignored. Useful if you wish to ignore someone who cannot be ignored OR if you don't want to use the previous rule because you want to know when somebody you ignored posted (as it can be quite confusing when you use the option above this one and other people respond to them and you don't know that they posted...with this option, even if you click the "view post" button, their posts will never appear).

www.gibberlings3.net##.ipsQuote_open.ipsQuote_citation:upward(1):has-text(username said)
...will strip quotes of the chosen username from all other users' posts.

www.gibberlings3.net##.ipsType_blendLinks.ipsDataItem_withPhoto.ipsDataItem_lastPoster:has-text(username)
...if the chosen username is the last poster, their username + avatar will be stripped from the "last poster" section, but the thread itself will still appear; does not work on the "latest posts" and "unread posts" listings, where it is not possible to do this as best as I can tell because the avatar and username are separated into different elements that can't be caught together.

www.gibberlings3.net##.ipsType_blendLinks.ipsType_reset.ipsStreamItem_status:upward(4):has-text(username posted)
...amends the previous rule in the "latest posts" and "unread posts" listings, wherein the chosen username's new threads will be removed.

www.gibberlings3.net##.ipsType_blendLinks.ipsType_reset.ipsStreamItem_status:upward(4):has-text(username's topic)
...further amends that rule in the "latest posts" and "unread posts" listings, wherein even if threads made by chosen username's are being replied to by other members, said thread will continue to be hidden.

www.gibberlings3.net##.ipsType_blendLinks.ipsType_reset.ipsStreamItem_status:has-text(username replied to)
...further amends that rule in the "latest posts" and "unread posts" listings, wherein if the chosen username replies to somebody else's thread, it will strip their name but NOT the thread.

www.gibberlings3.net##.ipsType_blendLinks.ipsType_light.ipsType_reset.ipsDataItem_meta:upward(1):has-text(By username)
...will remove threads made by the chosen username while browsing sections.

Did I miss anything?

Edited by Bartimaeus
Guest Morgoth

What I dislike about this forum is that you have the ignore button, but you can't read which users have ignored who. I'm really curious to understand which person was so unbearable to be ignored. :)