Poll: Unique Icons for items like Perdue's Short Sword of Koveras' Ring?

Poll: Unique Icons for items like Perdue's Short Sword of Koveras' Ring?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Unique Icons component currently skips a number of items because they're just another instance of an existing item. After some discussion on Discord, it seems like there is some interest in possibly giving these items unique icons to better distinguish them in addition to them already having a unique name and/or description. These are BG items; a non-comprehensive list is below:

• Perdue's Short Sword
  • Nester's Dagger
  • Kylee's Dagger
  • Hull's Long Sword
  • Koveras's Ring of Protection
  • A whole bunch of quest-specific jewelry
    • Joseph's Greenstone Ring
    • Joia's Flamedance Ring
    • Arkion's Bloodstone Amulet
    • Nemphre's Onyx Ring
    • Angel the Cat's Angel Skin Ring
    • Colquetle's Family Amulet

I would say yes, but they shouldn't be like super-great looking, but have a little detail that would help to distinct them from normal items. Just for the sake of equipment management (to prevent someone selling them or throwing them away).

23 minutes ago, Lava said:

I would say yes, but they shouldn't be like super-great looking, but have a little detail that would help to distinct them from normal items. Just for the sake of equipment management (to prevent someone selling them or throwing them away).

Fully agree. If I end up doing unique icons for these--and from preliminary results, I am--I'll aim for something subtle, like giving Purdue's sword a different hilt or (if that's not visible enough) a slightly different blade color.

Ideally using the same method, like recoloring just one part to a "quest item" color, so you'd know it's involved in a quest even if it hasn't triggered yet. 

Or maybe just having a unique background color. Just something that's very "hey this is not a normal item don't sell it you idiot". do not ask how many times I've sold perdue's sword or the dagger for that guy in the mines and only noticed later and had to track down where I sold it.

https://github.com/BGforgeNet/bg2-tweaks-and-tricks/ has this for Perdue + Nester - it's just a slight recolor (I think Nester's dagger is light green, Perdue's short sword a purple hue) - it'd be nice to have a component that does it for many more items.

Another approach could be to do similar to what the cdtweaks colorblind component does, but instead of adding an "o", "x" etc. in the corner of the item, maybe a "q" on the icon thumbnail to identify it as a quest item?

Yes. 

I suggest also adding bams for also for Edwin’s Amulet, History of the Sisters of Light and Darkness, and the Vial of Mysterious Liquid (I add bams for these and Perdue's in my mod if you want to note the ones I use, I think they were IWD recycles). 

At least in the vanilla game, the antidote you're supposed to give to Dreppin is just a standard antidote, POTN20. Buying an antidote from the Priest of Oghma in the main area is an alternate solution to the quest.

If that's ever a unique item, it's a mod that makes it so.

25 minutes ago, jmerry said:

At least in the vanilla game, the antidote you're supposed to give to Dreppin is just a standard antidote, POTN20. Buying an antidote from the Priest of Oghma in the main area is an alternate solution to the quest.

If that's ever a unique item, it's a mod that makes it so.

The EEs turn a whole bunch of generic quest items into unique ones.