[Bug report] EE content bugs

jmerry

Summon Nishruu and Summon Efreeti's (spwi624, spwi717) duration is two seconds too long at levels >18. Summon (Dark) Planetar (spwi923, spwi924) have the wrong duration on its level 1 header; alternatively they're missing eight headers between that header and the second.

Originally posted here, Protection from Evil 10-foot has a larger projectile radius (actually 15-foot) than what the description says. My suggestion is to change the projectile via a new duplicate projectile (COPY_EXISTING "SPARGRPA/idpro258.pro" "SPPROT10.pro" WRITE_SHORT 0x204 171 WRITE_SHORT 0x206 171) rather than the description, which is so iconic and ingrained by now. Invisibility 10-foot was fixed that way (larger projectile radius) in 2.6, so makes sense to do the same for this spell as well. The IWDEE projectile need not be duplicated, just patched to decrease the radius.

Funny that the description body in BG2EE/IWDEE state 15-foot radius, but not in oBG2 (there it's always 10-foot radius). I still prefer using 10-foot radius because how ingrained the spell name is (and the SPELL.ids). As mentioned in the other thread, this isn't a nerf because party members can just move slightly closer together as the spell is completed and can then disperse (unlike the AD&D version which is a sphere that travels with the recipient touched).

Edited by Galactygon

Shillelagh (sppr110)  is two seconds short in duration at level 20. Magic Resistance (sppr509) doesn't get its duration properly level-scaled at levels 19 (short one round at 19, two rounds at 20). While it's unused, Mass Healing (bhaal1a) has the wrong target for op 164 on multiple headers. Shield of the Archons (sppr701) absorbs 9 levels (should be 7) of level 3 spells when cast at level <16.

All versions of Summon (Fallen) Deva (sppr727, sppr727, spcl923, spcl935) either have the wrong duration when cast at a minimum level, or are missing several headers as the duration jumps 5 rounds between minimum cast and level 14. This wouldn't affect clerics as their minimum level to cast this spell is 14, but it could affect paladins or enemy casting.

The expiry sound from Protection from Electricity (spwi512) can be blocked by MR when cast at level 20.

Contingency plays the animation spcontin (bam via vvc) for 3 or 4 seconds, depending on the level cast, but it's a 5-second animation.

On IWDEE, the new headers (level >= 24) for Symbols Stun and Fear (spwi811, spwi816, sppr708, sppr718) have horrifically incorrect durations, e.g. at level 24 they should last 10 rounds but are actually 26 rounds.

Similarly Wither (sppr740), Regeneration (sppr711), and Aura of Flaming Death (sppr730) were also extended incorrectly, lasting 1 round/level beyond level 20 instead of the correct 1 round/2 levels.

All (+1, +2, and +3) hammers from IWDEE's Spiritual Hammer have the weapon speed of a +2 hammer. By comparison BG(2)EE Spiritual Hammer speed progresses as expected.

IWDEE Fire Seed duration calculations are still using oIWD rounds (seven seconds, not the BG2/EE six), so every duration is 7/6 longer than it should be--e.g. at level 20 it's 20 turns, which should be 20 * 10 * 6 = 1200 but is instead 20 * 10 * 7 = 1400.

And just as a followup to these:

BHAAL1B: (BG2EE) The duration is +1 round every 2 levels, but at some point the spell goes from level 18 to 21 instead of level 20.
BHAAL3B: (BG2EE) Opcode 248, refers to a BH3B1(.eff) resource that doesn't exist (the .spl does exist though)
SPIN117: (BG2EE) Opcode 17 and 187, have 119 seconds instead of 120 like the rest
SPIN685: (BG2EE) Opcode 12, level 1 bypasses magic resistance
SPIN698: (BG2EE) Opcode 69, level 1 lasts 90 seconds instead of 60
SPPR701: (SOD and BG2EE) Opcode 201, level 1 with paramater2 == 3 has paramater1 equal to 9 instead of 7 like the others
SPWI318: (BG2EE) Level 1 is missing and should increase the duration by 3 rounds.
SPWI318: (SOD) The duration of some level 11 effects are 180 instead of 198
SPWI399: (SOD) The level 1 target is different from the others
SPWI606: (SOD) Opcode 31, parameter2 of level 19 and 20 are 0 and not 1 like the other levels
SPWI608: (SOD) Opcode 230, different resistance at level 18
SPWI620 : (SOD) Opcode 165, level 19 duration equals 30 instead of 18
SPWI622 : The duration before level 12 is longer than from level 12 onwards

As jmerry noted, spin117 is correct. The issues with bhaal1b, bhaal3b, and spwi399 are accurate, but these are all unused. Similarly, spin685 is used, but in a cutscene (Imoen's Magic Missile at Irenicus). spwi318 has all of its headers as far as I can see, though the level 11 durations are wrong in SoD. While I was looking at it, I noticed that it has duplicate 233/328 opcodes on level 11, and the stalker version (spra302) has these duplicates at all levels.

Otherwise the rest of these need to be fixed, though I've not checked yet if we already address some of them.

Bumping this thread, which is an very easy fix. All instances of opcode 232 (.spl, .itm, .eff) should be patched so BIT2 for the "special" field is set. It's a very nifty setting which will supresses lingering floating casting glows plus sounds and makes the launched spell completely silent. Even if casting glows/sounds are left blank by the launched spell, the engine will abruptly clip any ongoing (casting only?) sounds. It doesn't happen with this flag set.

Unfortunately, the contingency opcodes don't set this flag by default, so the casting graphics of the stored spells will play and linger simultaneously when the contingency is triggered.

Edited by Galactygon

On IWDEE the Dragon Disciple's Breath Attack description does not mention that the damage scales, unlike the BGEE/BG2EE description:

Breath Weapon
The character breathes a gout of flame up to 30 ft. long, inflicting 3d8 points of fire damage on all creatures caught within the 140-degree cone. The ability deals an additional 1d8 points of fire damage for every three levels beyond 3rd level the character has attained (4d8 at 6th level, 5d8 at 9th level, and so on, up to a maximum of 8d8 at 18th level).

The IWDEE description lacks the last sentence.

On 12/26/2023 at 3:35 PM, CamDawg said:
BHAAL1B: (BG2EE) The duration is +1 round every 2 levels, but at some point the spell goes from level 18 to 21 instead of level 20.
BHAAL3B: (BG2EE) Opcode 248, refers to a BH3B1(.eff) resource that doesn't exist (the .spl does exist though)

Both Ascension and UB restore these.  I think the necessary fixes are in there, but I'll have to double-check.

More of a doubt...

From Tweaks mod, unique containers by Miloch component:

""The mod will also fix various issues with stores and containers in both the unmodded (and Fixpacked) games, as well as with mods. Some of those mods include BP, CtB, NEJ2, RoT, SOS and UB. Most significantly, it fixes some issues with Lost Items v2, including containers with duplicate stores attached and other mod usability issues pointed out by Bursk and SixOfSpades. You don't need to have any of these mods installed to use the main feature though.""

The reference to unmodded makes me think that it is also bugfixing vanilla EE. Wrong?

It removes an invalid item from type2.sto (unused), removes dupes from 25spell2.sto (unused), fixes the duplicated gem bags in Amketheran (already fixed), and adds names to a bunch of stores.

It also names a fence (bshop02) in the Bridge District and changes her avatar and class; the avatar change makes sense (she's using the female elven cleric avatar but she's classed as a thief). I have no idea where or why she gets named since I can't find any existing references in the tlk. The class gets changed from thief to innocent (meaning it introduces a rep penalty for killing her) but that's not really in line with other fences.

Thanks a lot Camdawg.

~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4170 // Ensure Shar-Teel Doesn't Die in the Original Challenge: v16
~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v16

Shouldn't these tweaks be inserted into the fixpack? I feel more strongly for the first one, while for the second I'm kinda meh.

Edited by Morgoth