[Bug report] EE content bugs

jmerry

[bg2ee] Potion of Perception: Discrepancy between item description and actual effect

The Potion of Perception (POTN39.ITM) should provide a bonus to the follow skills according to the item description:

• Find Traps: +20%
  • Pick Pockets: +20%
  • Open Locks: +20%
  • Move Silently: +20%
  • Hide In Shadows: +20%

The item itself, however, lacks the skill bonus for "Hide In Shadows".

This bug appears to be a carry-over from oBG2 where the same bug exists. And that bug was probably caused by an incorrect conversion from oBG1 when "Stealth" was split into "Move Silently" and "Hide in Shadows" in BG2.

I'm unsure how this issue should be fixed. BGEE lacks the "Move Silently" bonus in both item description and item effect. IWDEE provides a bonus to both skills in both item description and effects list.

Which leaves the following options how to fix it:

1. Fix item description only: Remove "Hide in Shadows" bonus from item description.
  2. Apply the BGEE version: Remove "Move Silently" bonus from item description. Replace "Move Silently" bonus (op59) by "Hide in Shadows" bonus (op275) in the item effects list.
  3. Apply the IWDEE version: Add "Hide in Shadows" bonus (op275) to the item effects list.
  4. Or perform a more accurate conversion from oBG1 by preserving the net effect of "Stealth": Provide both "Move Silently" and "Hide in Shadows" bonuses to BGEE, SoD and BG2EE versions of the item, which requires fixing item descriptions and effects lists.

Yes on option 3.

Also, Andrea is correct, and we should also be updating the BGEE item and description to provide MS bonuses. While there are some deliberate exceptions (BG vs. BG2 arrows), generally items and spells between BG and BG2 should work the same. We had a fantastic string team that was very proactive about checking spell and item descriptions against their actual effects with NI, but sometimes it would result in an error being documented rather than a bug report being filed. I believe this is one such case.

I don't think IWDEE's Shroud of Flame should affect >= 100% fire resistance creatures:

This spell causes a creature to burst into flames if it fails a Save vs. Spell. The creature will burn for 2d6 points of fire damage every round, and gouts of flame erupt from the burning target, causing any creatures within 5 ft. to take 1d4 points of fire damage from the flames. Anyone hit by the victim's flames must also make a Save vs. Spell to avoid contracting the shroud themselves. The shroud of flame dissipates if the caster and target are no longer in the same area. This spell is particularly useful in dispersing packs of trolls and frost salamanders.

This may be edging into Rules Lawyer territory--which is why I want to discuss this--but it strikes me that 100% fire immune creatures can't burst into flame, much less setting nearby creatures alight.

[sod] Several BG1 cinematics are missing in the Movies list (Options > Movies) for playback

The following BG1-specific movies are not listed in MOVIDESC.2DA when SoD is installed:

• BGENTER (Entering Baldur's Gate)
  • CAMP (Bandit Camp)
  • ELDRCITY (The Undercity)
  • ENDMOVIE (Conclusion)
  • FRARMINN (The Friendly Arm Inn)
  • MINEFLOD (The Flooded Mine)
  • NASHKELL (Entering Nashkel)
  • WRECK (Shipwreck)

Protection from Acid's (spwi517) first header has a dupe op 61 and a lighting effect (op 141) that's not present on any other header. I noticed this on BG2EE; need to check BGEE and IWDEE for propagation.

edit: Protection from Acid, not Electricity

Edited by CamDawg

Golem Haste's (spin978) first header has a different target, lacks the 'Hasted' string and portrait icon, and has a duration progression out of sync with the rest of the spell. It looks like it was copied from arcane Haste and then the first header was adjusted since it's the only one used. I say we add the 'hasted' string to the first header and then dump the rest of them.

Like the above, Hell Hound Breath (spin956) has a very different level 1 header from the rest (seems to be copied from Burning Hands). Normally I'd say to leave it alone since it's unused, but I believe UB uses it in a restoration so let's go ahead and fix it by dumping the extra headers.

These were sent to me via PM:

BHAAL1B: (BG2EE) The duration is +1 round every 2 levels, but at some point the spell goes from level 18 to 21 instead of level 20.
BHAAL3B: (BG2EE) Opcode 248, refers to a BH3B1(.eff) resource that doesn't exist (the .spl does exist though)
SPIN117: (BG2EE) Opcode 17 and 187, have 119 seconds instead of 120 like the rest
SPIN685: (BG2EE) Opcode 12, level 1 bypasses magic resistance
SPIN698: (BG2EE) Opcode 69, level 1 lasts 90 seconds instead of 60
SPPR701: (SOD and BG2EE) Opcode 201, level 1 with paramater2 == 3 has paramater1 equal to 9 instead of 7 like the others
SPWI318: (BG2EE) Level 1 is missing and should increase the duration by 3 rounds.
SPWI318: (SOD) The duration of some level 11 effects are 180 instead of 198
SPWI399: (SOD) The level 1 target is different from the others
SPWI606: (SOD) Opcode 31, parameter2 of level 19 and 20 are 0 and not 1 like the other levels
SPWI608: (SOD) Opcode 230, different resistance at level 18
SPWI620 : (SOD) Opcode 165, level 19 duration equals 30 instead of 18
SPWI622 : The duration before level 12 is longer than from level 12 onwards