[Bug report] EE content bugs

jmerry

1 hour ago, polytope said:

Isn't the magical weapon slot still used for Polymorph/Shapechange attacks etc.? It doesn't make sense to steal a mage-in-golem-form's iron hands. Even with other things like Spiritual Hammer it's hard to imagine taking it away from the cleric who cast the spell. Melf's Meteors are the only case I could see as a stealable item.

Yes, it's implemented that way because ITM files don't have a non-stealable flag.  However, with regards to weapons such as Shillelagh, Flame Blade, Spiritual Hammer, Moonblade, etc..., the person stealing doesn't necessarily know that it's a magically created weapon.

1 hour ago, polytope said:

Currently selected weapon is visible in game for most animations, so it would be obvious to the player, but again, how could a thief stealthily steal a sword currently gripped by someone else's hands, rather than from a scabbard?

You can steal a bow out of there hand, but not a sword ... the logic is already broken.

14 hours ago, CamDawg said:

The target has a ring that can be pickpocketed, but it's flagged unstealable

If an item is flagged as unstealable, it has been flagged so for either plot reasons, or game mechanic reasons (and is also usually undroppable).  In neither case can it be pickpocketed.

Personally, I'm a fan of differentiating between the target having no items that can be stolen regardless of your level, and the target having items that can be stolen but only at higher level.  Not that my opinion counts for much... more of a wish list on the engine side to open it up for modding.

Edited by Sam.
4 hours ago, kjeron said:

You can steal a bow out of there hand, but not a sword ... the logic is already broken.

True that.

4 hours ago, kjeron said:

However, with regards to weapons such as Shillelagh, Flame Blade, Spiritual Hammer, Moonblade, etc..., the person stealing doesn't necessarily know that it's a magically created weapon.

Shillelagh and Star Metal Cudgel perhaps, but with the "blade" line of spells, wizard and priest both, it's clear from descriptions those aren't solid items that anyone else could grab.

Flame Blade: "With this spell, the caster causes a blazing ray of red-hot fire to spring forth from his hand."

Moonblade: "This spell summons forth a silent, weightless sword-like construct made of moonlight that extends four feet from the caster's hand."

Phantom Blade: "This spell creates a translucent, shadowlike, weightless area of magical force extending from the fingers of one of the caster's hands."

(unfortunately those blades do have visible hilts in sprite, contrary to description)

Quite apart from pickpocketing, I'd like it if spells of this kind (and Chill Touch/Ghoul Touch) could remain active while polymorphed or shapechanged (because besides Moonblade I think they're unpopular for a reason, as are druidic shapeshift and 4th level polymorph self).

Messy to implement though, and definitely in the realm of "tweak" rather than "fix".

Edited by polytope

"

• Notice a monster is immune to the normal arrows you're shooting at it, switch to +1 arrows and waste a few before realizing it's immune to those as well. Should the game display "Weapon Ineffective (you needed at least a +2 weapon)"?
  • Miss an enemy with an attack roll of 19, gulp a potion of heroism and still miss with your next 19. Again, is it necessary to inform the player "Attack Roll 19 -1 = 18: Miss (you missed by 4 points)"?"

Not remotely equivalent. The game telling you that a monster is immune to your current weapon is how it relates that information, and it is CLEAR AND ACCURATE. The monster is immune to your weapon. There's no, "The monster is immune to your weapon at this proficiency." Because that's innacurate and dumb.

"Currently selected weapon is visible in game for most animations, so it would be obvious to the player, but again, how could a thief stealthily steal a sword currently gripped by someone else's hands, rather than from a scabbard? "

I still have no idea what point you are trying to make here. I'm talking about items flagged as pickpocketable.

Yeah, it's exactly the same thing as far as the player wasting items when attempting something that wouldn't have worked (your previous example being "need to use your potions of thievery to finish getting everything"). If you can't pickpocket any more from someone, you're not informed as to why, you can either attack them, drink a possibly wasted potion, or give up.

The EE's revision of pickpocketing is also a lot easier to get away with than in the original game absent a lot of reloading.

28 minutes ago, Thacobell said:

I still have no idea what point you are trying to make here. I'm talking about items flagged as pickpocketable.

I was quoting kjeron, there, you can reply to multiple people in one post using the + at the bottom of each post.

(BGEE, Neera's quest)

Adoy tries to give his belt to Neera, even if Neera's dead or not present. That's literal; there's a response option with "Neera's dead or not present" as a condition and "give the belt to Neera" as an associated action. I'm pretty sure that action just does nothing if its target object is invalid.

Obvious fix: if Neera isn't available, give the belt to Player 1 instead.

Relevant excerpt from NEADOY.DLG, in .D form:

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 24 // from: 13.1 15.1 23.0
  SAY #27687 /* ~I seldom visit settlements these days, so perhaps you'll get more use out of it than I do—and maybe a little peace of mind.~ [NES17] */
  IF ~  OR(2)
Dead("NEERA")
!AreaCheckObject("OH2010","NEERA")
~ THEN REPLY #27688 /* ~That's very generous. Thank you, Adoy.~ */ DO ~GiveItem("NEBELT01","Neera")
~ GOTO 25
  IF ~  !Dead("NEERA")
AreaCheckObject("OH2010","NEERA")
~ THEN REPLY #27688 /* ~That's very generous. Thank you, Adoy.~ */ DO ~GiveItem("NEBELT01","Neera")
~ EXTERN ~NEERAJ~ 149
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #27689 /* ~Is that the best you can do, old man?~ */ DO ~GiveItem("NEBELT01","Neera")
~ GOTO 25
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY #27690 /* ~That's all very well for Neera. What are you going to do for me?~ */ DO ~GiveItem("NEBELT01","Neera")
~ GOTO 25
END

Actually, that's flawed in another way; if Neera is present and alive but not in the party, that EXTERN to her in-party dialogue will abruptly end the conversation. The condition should probably just be a standard IsValidForPartyDialog check.

Spotted here on the Beamdog forums: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1199610/#Comment_1199610

[IWD/TotLM] Wrong version of Hobart flagged as 'INNOCENT'?

I don't know if this is a bug or an intentional decision: The halfling Hobart exists as two creature versions. The first version can be encountered in Lonelywood and is flagged as "THIEF". The second version exists in his hideout in Castle Maluradek where he is flagged as "INNOCENT".

The way these creatures are flagged allows you kill him in the Lonelywood tavern in front of all guests without any repercussions (provided he can't call for help). But killing him in Castle Maluradek, in the middle of nowhere, will immediately drop your reputation by a substantial amount. Wouldn't it make more sense to swap these flags?

Btw, this issue already exists in oIWD.

[iwd] Several ARE actor structures contain duplicate script assignments

AR1015.ARE > Actor 0 (EHBEETLE):
Override and Default slots point to EHBEETLE.BCS. Override slot should be cleared like in the other beetle instances.

AR9600.ARE > Actor 25 (Greater Ice Troll):
General and Class slots point to GNTEAM4S.BCS. According to actors with similar scripting on the map General slot should most likely point to GNT4MOVE.BCS instead.

AR9600.ARE > Actor 32 (Bergclaw):
Race and Specifics slots point to GNTEAM9S.BCS. Race slot should probably point to GNT9MOVE.BCS instead.

AR9714.ARE > Actor 46 (Boneguard Skeleton 6):
Class and Race slots point to GNT4MOVE.BCS. Class slot should probably point to GNTEAM4.BCS instead.

In BGEE, when the journal entry is given to search Cloakwood forest to locate the bandit camp, there are ordinarily two bandits that can be found & spoken to, Teven and Raiken.  They can recuit the party, serving as an alternative to fighting through the bandit camp.

I don't know if this is considered a bug or not, but Teven and Raiken seem to run on timers.  If the party is distracted and takes too long to find them, Teven and Raiken disappear forever.  Or maybe they spawn once and never again if the party leaves their zone.  Eitherway, I don't see the value of them disappearing.  It's not as though the game makes specific, deliberate mention of them, and that they're a time limited resource.

This has caused me confusion on multiple runs, and would be happy to see it resolved in the fixpack.

[bg2] Discrepancy between inventory and ability icons for Tomes of Stat Raising (INT, WIS and CHA)

Affected items: BOOK06.ITM, BOOK07.ITM and BOOK08.ITM.

The inventory icon of the tomes is set to IBOOK768.BAM (yellowish color) while the ability icons are set to IBOOK06.BAM, IBOOK07.BAM and IBOOK08.BAM respectively (reddish color).

These tomes are not available in the vanilla game, but mods may add copies of them to the game.

Teven and Raiken are not time-limited, but instead plot-limited. Go there in chapter 3, and the area script spawns them in. Go there after visiting the bandit camp, and they (along with their minions) despawn. Of course, if you're searching the Cloakwood, you'll certainly never find them...

15 hours ago, jmerry said:

Teven and Raiken are not time-limited, but instead plot-limited. Go there in chapter 3, and the area script spawns them in. Go there after visiting the bandit camp, and they (along with their minions) despawn. Of course, if you're searching the Cloakwood, you'll certainly never find them...

Not Cloakwood, right, my bad.  So I must have visited the bandit camp first, incidently.  My suggestions remains though.  Only despawn after, perhaps, Tazok's tent has been entered (not sure how the specifics would play out in implementation -- I'm not a scripter, but the general idea holds).