Gotta pay more attention to Icewind Dales

Guest Bertrand the "Companion"
17 hours ago, temnix said:

"Oh, Bertrand, you're so very unique! I've never met anyone like you before! You changed my outlook on life! Let's rub noses!"

Hey, what's wrong with these kind of the mods?! 

Nothing, unless you are a dark elf NPC. Unless you are a dark elf NPC. Unless you are a dark elf NPC.

That's it, I'm not looking here any more! The point I set out to make was that too few mods consider the Icewind Dales in their mechanics, let alone make something for them. As for the writing and ideas around here, sure, there are going to be a few accidents of quality, but by and large, if any decent writers have tried composing for this "scene," they have long quit after realizing no one would tell their stuff apart from the schlock. It's the same situation as with any online creativity. It's pretty much a waste of time.

On a lighter note, thinking about an NPC wrote for people in their 30s using me as an example made me laugh.

- Constant conflict with chatty npcs and barbarians/berserker: they cause me headaches with talking and shouting.

- Same true for any spell caster with their fancy tricks with intense lights and sounds. Very pissed off by chromatic sphere, being colourblind.

- If lawful, complains with PCs for excessive backtracking: they waste time and should have took a more rational course of action, better planning.

- Scripted constant waste of healing potions or healing spell to address chronic cervical/back pain or a penalty on carry weight.

- Complain on shop prices: when I was a child for the same price of an hide armor I would have got a shortsword and a dagger too! Damned iron crisis! And the armor woul have been better quality.

- Top quality relations with high moving silently chars expecially in the mornings. And vampires.

- Bonus casting speed on Silence, Sleep and similar spells.

Basically... It would be a nearly unhelpful companion :)

Edited by Frenzgyn
4 hours ago, jastey said:

@temnix this is the second time I read a statement from you that sounds like you trivialize paedophilia. This is not funny, and it's not ok. This is a serious warning in my moderator voice.

I'm not going to talk to you, so you have nothing to worry about.

3 hours ago, Frenzgyn said:

On a lighter note, thinking about an NPC wrote for people in their 30s using me as an example made me laugh.

- Constant conflict with chatty npcs and barbarians/berserker: they cause me headaches with talking and shouting.

- Same true for any spell caster with their fancy tricks with intense lights and sounds. Very pissed off by chromatic sphere, being colourblind.

- If lawful, complains with PCs for excessive backtracking: they waste time and should have took a more rational course of action, better planning.

- Scripted constant waste of healing potions or healing spell to address chronic cervical/back pain or a penalty on carry weight.

- Complain on shop prices: when I was a child for the same price of an hide armor I would have got a shortsword and a dagger too! Damned iron crisis! And the armor woul have been better quality.

- Top quality relations with high moving silently chars expecially in the mornings. And vampires.

- Bonus casting speed on Silence, Sleep and similar spells.

Basically... It would be a nearly unhelpful companion :)

This is what Keldorn should be like, really

6 hours ago, jastey said:

@temnix this is the second time I read a statement from you that sounds like you trivialize paedophilia. This is not funny, and it's not ok. This is a serious warning in my moderator voice.

I'm not exactly sure what temnix was trying to get at there with that weird statement, but there does seem to be a phenomenon where people go through a stage of life where they want a lot of deep, dark, and/or very complex media that distinctly establishes itself as being more "adult" than what they enjoyed previously...and then after too much of that over too long of a time, will revert to just wanting and enjoying much more simple (but still good) stuff aimed at a younger age group (whether it's about children, teenagers, or adults). I know for myself with movies and shows, I'm primarily looking just for characters that that feel at home in their setting with good roles, and if I also get a good plot and themes out of it as well, that's great too...but not usually the primary concern when I'm starting a new show or movie. Not unless it's about something that I already have a vested interest in, like with very particular subjects or historical events.

It's possible that was what temnix was trying to say, but if so, the way he stated it...um, well, sure didn't sound like it. Also, his intelligent response to you, a moderator verbally warning him, sure didn't help his case any.

Edited by Bartimaeus
this post is a disaster

Reality bites, that's all there is to it. But I'm not going to shock the burghers with any more of the R rating. Keep it PG between yourselves! I need a place to post my final mod, I don't want to get banned before I'm finished. Yes, and the original point: the Icewind Dale games need more mods either aimed at them or making special allowances for them. I once had a spell that produced a deluge of rain if installed on a BG game but sleet if on an IWD. That sort of thing. Now I'll just tip my hat and return to business.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:07 AM, CamDawg said:

Edited to clarify: we don't moderate posts based on content at G3; we leave it up to our members to form their own opinions about other users so having a clear post history (as best we can make it) furthers that goal. Many users, when they make an especially egregious and dumb remark, will realize their error and edit it to something more reasonable and/or less embarrassing. While in this case it would require a level of self-reflection that's yet to be evidenced, I felt compelled to preserve this particular bit just in case.

I'm glad you included this, CamDawg. I almost started clutching my pearls, wringing my hands, and so on.