Known Issues and Workarounds

jastey

v2.4: To prevent a crash upon transition after BG1, install all components of reward houses from Duke Eltan:

• Duke Eltan's reward - House in front of Palace
  • Duke Eltan's reward - Cabin in High Hedge
  • Duke Eltan's reward - House in Beregost
  • Duke Eltan's reward - House in front of Flaming Fist headquarters

If you didn't and encounter this crash, open "bd0103.bcs" with Near Infinity and remove the lines refrencing the non-existing areas, i.e.

MoveContainerContents("#LBG0006*PlayerChest00","BD0103*PlayerChest00") // #2 House in front of Palace
		MoveContainerContents("#LBG3201*PlayerChest00","BD0103*PlayerChest00") // #3 High Hedge
		MoveContainerContents("#LBG3347*PlayerChest00","BD0103*PlayerChest00") // #4 Beregost
		MoveContainerContents("#LBG1107*PlayerChest00","BD0103*PlayerChest00") // #5 House in front of FF HQ

On 6/14/2022 at 8:27 AM, jastey said:

v2.4: To prevent a crash upon transition after BG1, install all components of reward houses from Duke Eltan:

Do you mean "after EndlessBG1" ?

Ascalon's Questpack and Glam's NPC Pack use the Cabin in High Hedge house (To ensure compatibility between Glam's NPC Pack and Ascalon's Questpack v4.3 * it is recommanded (from readme) to  install the "Beregost" install choice for the component "Of Wolves and Men".)

About the house in Beregost (72 - Duke Eltan's reward option: Gray house in NW Beregost) i don't think it is the one in Ascalon's  Quests.

So it may be complicate to install "Duke Eltan's reward - Cabin in High Hedge " along with Glam's NPC Pack.

Edited by Mordekaie
On 7/30/2022 at 1:53 PM, Mordekaie said:

Do you mean "after EndlessBG1" ?

Transitions should be installed after Transitions, but the crash of Transitions if the Reward Houses from Duke Eltan aren't installed has nothing to do with EndlessBG1.

The houses used in TRansitions and Ascalon's Questpack in Beregost are different ones.

Gonna quote Jastey's whole first post in this thread to emphasize it, with a note after:

On 6/14/2022 at 2:27 AM, jastey said:

• Duke Eltan's reward - House in front of Palace
  • Duke Eltan's reward - Cabin in High Hedge
  • Duke Eltan's reward - House in Beregost
  • Duke Eltan's reward - House in front of Flaming Fist headquarters

If you didn't and encounter this crash, open "bd0103.bcs" with Near Infinity and remove the lines refrencing the non-existing areas, i.e.

MoveContainerContents("#LBG0006*PlayerChest00","BD0103*PlayerChest00") // #2 House in front of Palace
		MoveContainerContents("#LBG3201*PlayerChest00","BD0103*PlayerChest00") // #3 High Hedge
		MoveContainerContents("#LBG3347*PlayerChest00","BD0103*PlayerChest00") // #4 Beregost
		MoveContainerContents("#LBG1107*PlayerChest00","BD0103*PlayerChest00") // #5 House in front of FF HQ

I believe those four MoveContainerContents lines are also present in #LPCROOM.BCS, so they probably have to be removed from that script as well.

For a future update of Transitions, the two scripts could be conditionally modified based on which optional reward components are installed, but... honestly the easiest thing is probably to just create all those areas in the main component, and in the four optional components simply enable travel to them.

I also want to note another issue, a compatibility problem between Transitions v2.4 and EndlessBG1 v13:

I just finished the BG1 campaign in an EET game with EndlessBG1 v13 and Transitions v2.4 installed and a rather thorny problem moving forward to SoD.  Belt would not send me on the last "Sarevok followers clean-up quest," to Korlasz' crypt. There is a hiccup in Belt's dialogue file if EndlessBG1's optional "Duke Eltan is in the Palace" component is installed: BELT.DLG has an interjection from Eltan if Eltan is present in the room; but the version of Eltan installed by EndlessBG1 has a different .DLG file attached to him than the one expected by Transitions - DELTAN2 instead of DELTAN.

For players, the current solution here is simply don't install that optional component of EndlessBG1 v13. If Eltan is not in the palace, then there is no interjection, and no bug stopping you from going to Korlasz' crypt.

For the mod authors,

• One option to achieve compatibility is for EndlessBG1 needs to change the DLG file attached to C#STELTA.CRE from DELTAN2 to DELTAN.
  • The other option is for Transitions to detect [ MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~c#endlessbg1.tp2~ ~6~ ] and if so, change the CHAIN block adding the Elten interjection to BELT.DLG from DELTAN to DELTAN2.
On 10/17/2023 at 12:47 PM, Graion Dilach said:

You can also avoid most of the problems via avoiding Transitions and only using EndlessBG1 at this point

Eh, this offers a lot that EndlessBG1 does not. I like the idea of the "clean-up quests" - all of a sudden you are in a huge dungeon looking for some nobody named Korlasz, who had nothing to do with Sarevok the whole first game, while ignoring his other followers who you already knew about? In this regard EndlessBG1 is no better than the unmodded transition from BG1 to SoD.

And I like that it tries to address commoner dialogue and rumors etc.

And I like that it addresses the SoA-ToB transition, which of course EndlessBG1 does not.

The main problem here is 1) structure (e.g. the BG2 modification is inextricably tied to the BG1 modification) and 2) lack of maintenance and updates. Those issues aside, I think it does have good reasons to exist.

5 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

all of a sudden you are in a huge dungeon looking for some nobody named Korlasz, who had nothing to do with Sarevok the whole first game, while ignoring his other followers who you already knew about? In this regard EndlessBG1 is no better than the unmodded transition from BG1 to SoD.

EndlessBG1 lets the Temple fight run until all are defeated and offers a component to clear Korlasz' Dungeon in BG1, i.e. remain in BG1 after that. So what you say here is not correct, it gives closure to Sarevok and his followers inside BG1. Korlasz coming out of nowhere isn't handled any different in Transitions.

6 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

And I like that it tries to address commoner dialogue and rumors etc.

So does EndlessBG1.

Just sayin.

I really like the how Transitions (optionally) changes when the ending movies play, and ties this with (re-)gaining (new) Bhaalspawn powers, for example. For me, this adds flavor and improves immersion at just the right time, around a climax point.

It would really be a pity if that's the mod which perchance killed one or even both of my latest attempts to enjoy ToB; something that I cannot prove in any way, because I've to rely on the knowledge of people better educated in BG modding compared to myself.

Spoiler

Otoh, if there are strong pointers that a mod tends to have game-breaking effects, I can only encourage again and again to provide a fair and explicit warning to possible users. Not doing so can negatively affect the opinion on the whole scene, because negative experiences tend to stronger emotional reactions.

Hmm, perhaps it might even be a good idea to establish a "best practices" thing, like having a guide within the readme, that explains what should be happening if the mod works as intended, so that users willing to report bugs have a bit more of an upfront guidance and don't need to ask the wrong questions at the wrong people. That's unfortunately more and often disliked work for the modder, but could smoothen  the process in the longer run.

And to avoid another reason to ending a run due to the player "burning out" - something I read more and more when reading about players talking about their BG experiences - on top of the "How-to-setup-a-modded-game"-guides, information of how to properly test a setup before committing to a "serious" playthrough could also help to improve the situation for everyone involved and willing to partake.

I certainly would be willing to help, but am not in the right position to get this started. (Well, except for proposing the idea in the first place, perhaps. :))

(rant exported to new topic)

Edited by Lurker

Apparently there is 2 syntax errors in the Sarevok1.tpa file, , in the current "Transitions v2.4" according to Argent77. Discord link.
The fix should be easy... just opening the file in "transitions/components/sarevok1.tpa" with any text editor, like Notepad, and editing the line 10 in the file from this:

IF (%use_ebg1% = 0) OR !(MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~c#endlessbg1.tp2~ (ID_OF_LABEL "c#endlessbg1.tp2" "EBG1_SarevokSword") AND MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~c#endlessbg1.tp2~ (ID_OF_LABEL "c#endlessbg1.tp2" "EBG1_SarevokItems"))

To:

ACTION_IF (%use_ebg1% = 0) OR !(MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~c#endlessbg1.tp2~ (ID_OF_LABEL "c#endlessbg1.tp2" "EBG1_SarevokSword") AND MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~c#endlessbg1.tp2~ (ID_OF_LABEL "c#endlessbg1.tp2" "EBG1_SarevokItems")) BEGIN

I just wrote this down here, so other can find it.
The reason how this didn't get detected before is likely that no body installed the needed other mods together.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola