Tutu version?

sirthaddeus

Nope. At the time it was decided there was no point as only Indira and Mur'neth existed so no point having a whole mod just for them (their material is just within their mods). However with Finch about I'd quite like to have Crossmod for Tutu come into existance...

I'd once again like to make a push to have Tutu Crossmod material included in a Crossmod pack. This is because I think Tutu is becoming more popular with the average user, and modding it is clearly becoming more popular. By the time we have 4-5 NPCs don't you think it'll seem a bit crazy for the average user to have to install all the NPCs, then go back into the setups and install all the extra components? I know Bons has no preference on this matter so come on Ghrey, Andy, you know I'm right!

That's not how it'd work, though. Let's say Bons and I got the lead out and actually finished the banter components, and Finch/Mur'Neth chatter it up, too. We have three mods, all with content for each other.

User Joe installs Mod A. No other NPCs are installed, so no cross-banter. User Joe installs Mod B. Mod B's .tp2 has a check to see if Mod A is installed. If so, it installs the banter without even asking the user. Joe then installs Mod C, whose installer checks for and finds both Mod A and B installed, and installs the banters for both those mods.

A can = Indira, Finch, or Mur'Neth

B can = Finch, Mur'Neth, or Indira

C can = Mur'Neth, Indira, or Turnip Golem Finch

All this without the user having to download a separate pack, go back and re-select a component from a mod, etc.

Works in theory yes, but scale that up to, say... 5 NPCs or 10 NPCs. Do we really want to have all that banter material for 10 NPCs repeated 10 times? (Ok it won't end up as quite that bad, but thats a worst case) To me it just seems more natural to group all the material into a Crossmod package, where the user can just download it all, install it at the end and be done with it. No repeated content, update issues resolved, and its just 1 download, which automatically installs all the right material with ACTION_IFs. I guess it might be an idea to ask for the general public opinion.

Edit: Added stuff.

I'm not one of the people who cares how sloppy something is if it isn't seen by the end-user. End Product justifies the means, and all that.

The hassle of downloading a mod with a whack of redundant code is far less than being notified of and downloading an entirely separate mod, I feel.

The hassle of downloading a mod with a whack of redundant code is far less than being notified of and downloading an entirely separate mod, I feel.

As a player I would prefer to have a single mod that covers all cross-content, because it will cover all possible combination of modded NPCs in advance (ie I can download an extra NPC and the banters for him with other moded will be already there) and will provide me with a single source of information as to who is bantering with whom hence helping me to build a party without hunting down such information separetly in each mod and worrying about it. :)

As a player I would prefer to have a single mod that covers all cross-content, because it will cover all possible combination of modded NPCs in advance (ie I can download an extra NPC and the banters for him with other moded will be already there)

This isn't actually how it'd work. With a single Crossmod package, install order matters because you have to install Crossmod last. If the content is distributed amongst the respective mods, you install them all in whatever order and the content is just there with no extra intervention from the user.

Well, that's a set back, but another thing about the CMBP is that its existence ensures that cross-banters exist. :)

I'd say that this is the biggest boon of the Crossmod Banter Pack. It gets people writing banters between mod NPCs. One of the major reasons I'm reluctant to play a modded game of BGII again, is that I pretty much have to take 1 mod NPC, plus the rest Bioware NPCs. Otherwise, my party has very little banter, since the majority of mod NPCs don't have any banter written for each other. I love this game because of the interparty interactions, and if I take too many mod NPCs, it feels like I might as well be playing IWD.

Incidentally, I think the main setback of the distributed system is the awkwardness of using a separate D file and ACTION_IF block for every mod NPC. It'd become a far more attractive proposition if there was some kind of BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_EXISTS flag which could be applied to CHAIN, APPEND, INTERJECT, and so on. (This'd also be convenient for Quest Pack.)

Archived