Voicing, unvoicing, and translating

Guest Guest

Oh, yes, because nothing says "Thank you for all your hard work" like commissioning a bunch of voice work, sitting on it for two or three years, and then not even having enough appreciation to actually make it a proper component of the mod.

No, no, it is good to have voicing in the mod. The problem discussed is making it optional - like the option "Valygar, I like you, but please, do not flirt with me" in the flirts.

If it was an original voice actor, I would have no problem. However, I have a sensitive ear, and so it makes me uncomfortable if a voice differs from the original. I can't even play with Nalia and Anomen at TOB - I may be paranoid, but it seems they have differend soundsets.

Morale: don't finish musical school, people. :p

If it was an original voice actor, I would have no problem. However, I have a sensitive ear, and so it makes me uncomfortable if a voice differs from the original.

Indeed, and I thought it was a strange choice only to voice the new lines. Maybe Meira will rectify that as well.

I can't even play with Nalia and Anomen at TOB - I may be paranoid, but it seems they have differend soundsets.

Same actors, I assure you.

Indeed, and I thought it was a strange choice only to voice the new lines.

Nothing strange about it - Valygar's voice work is well-loved and is one of the best in BG2, if not THE best. I can't speak for everyone, but I would not want hear it substituted, no matter how well the revoice was done. Coupled with the trials of trying to find a voice actor for a few months back then it gave me the feeling that revoicing all of Val's line would be a strain on the guy who prepares the script, the voice actor and the coder, while not resulting in a popular feature. Beyshaliban agreed with me on that. We went for partial voice. If Meira decides otherwise, well and good, it's her game. I'd rather hope, that ToB content gets voiced before dubbing Bio's lines. :p

As for voicing/non-voicing versions, it's simple to turn a voiced mod into an unvoiced one on the user level - either by putting two backward slashes into TP2, or by deleting the new WAV files from the override. The only possible 'real' issue remaining is the size of the mod, but for an NPC mod, I reckon the size will remain relatively small. Here we go, another problem worth an empty egg-shell discussed.

If it was an original voice actor, I would have no problem. However, I have a sensitive ear, and so it makes me uncomfortable if a voice differs from the original.

Indeed, and I thought it was a strange choice only to voice the new lines. Maybe Meira will rectify that as well.

Well, I certainly would admit to be of school of thought that prefers everything to be re-voiced if new voiced lines by different actor are added. I think Valygar's original actor is okay, but not so memorable that replacing him would be out of question. And if I recall correctly the sample clip at old CR forum proved the the new guy had a very lovely voice. :p

As for voicing new Tob lines before re-doing the original... If I were to start working on CR today that might be reasonable, but since I do have my girl to finish off first, doing the re-voicing now when I'm preoccupied might be the thing to do. That of course would require a bit of faith to my ability to get things finished from your part Jason, as I believe that you know Valygar's new voice actor. :p

And I'm sorry bigg and Jatsey, but I wont make the voicing as an optional component. As mentioned it takes a lot of work and not only from the actor but on my end as well. You'll have to hack the tp2 if you want to get rid of it.

That of course would require a bit of faith to my ability to get things finished from your part Jason, as I believe that you know Valygar's new voice actor. :p

(Imagines a fully voiced Valygar-Kelsey conflict and falls off her chair laughing.)

Um, that'd be really cool to watch, I guess. :p

Judging by this (poll?), Valygar is quite popular, if not as popular as Viconia, Minsc or Imoen.

Take a look at those statistics again. While I don't claim that they're a valid representation of popularity (how many "I want to kick Aerie's teeth in" threads do we see?), Valygar is well towards the lower end of the BG2 NPC popularity. And Cernd is just embarassing.

I agree that Cernd got the boot when it came to developer's attention to character development, but I must say that from the meshing content standpoint, if Jason or his brother do the entire voicing, it would benefit the mod.

I don't have a character choice when it comes to NPCs, but they are selected by abilities. Not portrait or voicing, but class and stats.

Archived