BG III

BevH

If there is a BG III, what should it's content be?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have read a few scant rumors that there may be a BG III in the future. I know given that Black Isle has been disbanded, it would seem unlikely. But in these rumors, the story of the new game would be something completely different from the Bhaalspawn saga since the essence is gone - either the PC accepted it and became a god or the PC decided to become mortal and the essence is hidden.

Well, I disagree. I think that there is more that can be told and still have an interesting game. If you go the route of the god, there would be the battles with the other gods, attempting to stay true to your alignment, and developing worshippers - hey without them you wouldn't be a god for very long. This might turn out to be more of a strategy game, however, along the lines of Black and White, but hopefully without all the bugs.

If you go the route of staying a mortal, there could be the quests of stamping out the Bhaal cults that are after you, as suggested in some of the Kelsey epilogues. Perhaps a trip to the river where Bhaal died and some of his essence is supposed to be.

Anyway, I'm interested in finding out everyone's thoughts on this. I would be interested in either the god or the mortal route. I think if they do something other than the Bhaalspawn story, it wouldn't be Baldur's Gate.

I voted for something completely different. You cannot continue same storyline forever and there is a reason why there was never a sequel to LOTR for example. Stories have to (or should) end when they're still good and there are so many other stories be told. Also (I know this argument has been voiced before) playing at very high levels is not very interesting in the long run. It was cool in Torment, but the story in that was different. I also prefer classical role-play to strategy games, though I have not played black & white. I also like IE, though I doubt that they would be using that, but a some fancy 3D thingy instead.

-Meira

A Bhaalspawn strategy type game could be quite interesting, if done correctly. Like Black and White, but on a larger scale.

It might also be interestng to go the route they went in Fallout 2, where the protagonist is the descendant of the (mortal) Bhaalspawn with various nutters trying to use the last of Bhaal's blood as some means of getting hold of what's left of his power (even if it couldn't actually be done).

But, on the whole, an entirely new story would also be good. I think any of the options could be OK, so long as it was done with good attention to story, rather than some slapdash hack'n'slash fest.

I wouldn't be very interested in BG3 if it turned into a strategy game, especially not one involving the gods of the forgotten realms, but that's probably just because I don't like strategy games of FR gods... On the other hand, I don't see how a game using the same characters, at the levels they are at the end of ToB, could be anything but a strategy game even if you take the mortal path (after all, you're defeating armies already in ToB, even if you never get to see more than 15 people or so at a time).

On the other hand, I would like some kind of connection with the original storyline, and if the game's going to be called Baldur's Gate, I would like to see it set in the city of Baldur's Gate (that's still my favourite computer game town. Too bad it takes so long to reach it). I guess what I would really like is a new game that's set in the same area as BG, but where you don't have to play "the child of Bhaal". I never liked that particular idea.

To cite MP And now for something completely different....

It would be nice to interweave a couple of encounters that remember the good ol days, dragons might be viable. I like the epic sense that you get from the Tolkien world, because there is a dense web of stories and legends that are to be known to really understand.

Hope dies last.

I guess what I would really like is a new game that's set in the same area as BG, but where you don't have to play "the child of Bhaal". I never liked that particular idea.

See Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2 :D

Good point with the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games. Basically, that is a situation of trying to cash in on a name recognition basis.

Look at any of the Final Fantasies for further inspiration in this regard...

Excuse me. I should of course have said 'a good new game that's set in the same area as BG, but where you don't have to play "the child of Bhaal"' :D

(note that my opinion of BG:DA is based entirely on prejudice and presuppositions and that I will deny all responsibility for it)

IMO the biggest reason why the 'BG3 pleasepleaseplease' threads never die is that there has not been a satisfactory D&D CPRG game since BG2 SoA. I played a good, solid 5 minutes of NWN before getting bored, which was about the same as IWD, IWD2, and ToB. I've tried many times since then and just can't get excited.

For an old stick-in-the-mud such as myself that doesn't like the 3e rules, I'll likely be irked with any new D&D game even if it has a great story and characters. :D I definitely don't want to start the great 2e v 3e debate--ugh.

Well, the D20 engine is just that, a system to resolve things. The funny thing is that AD&D wasn't the first company to do that.

Anyone who is familiar with Steve Jackson Games has certainly heard of GURPs. Everything from GURPs Supers, GURPs Magic, GURPs Cyberpunk, etc. (core books, if you will for that type of campaign), to GURPs Discworld (their finest book to date, and with their best art...maybe because they had the guy who did the illustrated books, like The Last Hero, do the illustrations).

Anyways, for me, a good game is one that I really don't notice the system too bad. Alright, I might see that it is a turn based system, or real time, but in general, neither really should impinge on my awareness when playing.

Anyways, for me, a good game is one that I really don't notice the system too bad.  Alright, I might see that it is a turn based system, or real time, but in general, neither really should impinge on my awareness when playing.

I agree, at least when it comes to computer games. I used to feel the same way about real roleplaying games as well, but these days I can see the merit of rules that are visible as long as they add to the flavour of the game.

(like in Castle Falkenstein, which is set in a pseudo-19th century Europe and where you use a deck of cards instead of dice because no real gentleman would play at dice. Unless you paly the GURPS version and use dice anyway :D )

Archived