Classless CRPGs systems?

Domi

'Redemption' is a pretty good fantasy tale; the 'vampire' angle works quite well. It's not really an 'omg I are teh vampire looolz!!!!!!111' type game that you might worry it is. Bloodlines is a lot more explicitly rude and violent, so could be taken that way, but I quite like it anyhow.

I've not played the PnP Vampire game so cannot comment on how well the CRPGs fit the setting.

Dungeon Siege? Personally I think that classless is great in PnP but never works in computer games, characters tend to loose their "style". That said I dont enjoy D&D 2e which does not give any choice on level up, everything is predetermined, 3.5 is for me a happy medium. Not to mention the fact that it's first D&D edition that makes sense at times. :)

@VTM - I played a lot VTM PnP and I would not call it fully classless. Being Bruha or a Gangrel is sorta of a class choice, though truly it's far from D&D.

BTW speaking of classless PnP I'd recommend GURPS, which sadly does not have computer version, fallout was to be based on GURPS ruleset, but they dropped the idea, though it did retain some of its spirit.

I don't think I will be comfortable with playing as a vampire :)

I don't mind 3.5, really in P&P (can'r stand it in NWN), but it just looks weird to me that they would retain classes. But I guess abandoning them would be too revolutionary.

I don't think I will be comfortable with playing as a vampire :)

I don't mind 3.5, really in P&P (can'r stand it in NWN), but it just looks weird to me that they would retain classes. But I guess abandoning them would be too revolutionary.

not only revolutionary but also it seems that majority of players do like them. BTW NWN is 3e not 3.5, Toee is 3.5. While I disliked generally NWN, rules implementation wasn't that bad, especially after the expantions added all the prestige classes.

I know I know the main objection will of course be that the party system is nothing like BG1 (in fact it is worlds away), but I always enjoyed the S.P.E.C.I.A.L-System (Strength/Perception/Endurance/Charisma/Intelligence/Agility/Luck) which gave me the most freedom to develop my characters via traits and perks. Sadly for you I haven't really come across any game that features a game world you might like. Perhaps Arcanum. I also enjoyed Fallout and Fallout 2. Lionheart too in a way, but this is really hastily crafted and I found it very awkward and repetitive despite my favourite casting system (Yay, mana casting!).

http://www.rpgplanet.com/arcanum/

http://www.nma-fallout.com/

I don't recommend playing Redemption.

The story is (kind of) interesting, but the game's emphasis is on hack'n'slay. All you have to do is to enter buildings where you have to kill hordes of almost identical enemies.

The setting is supposed to be historical, but there are so many mistakes and anachronisms and the towns you visit don't look anything like their real counterparts.

All of the dialogues are packed into very long cutscences which IIRC can't be skipped and you can only choose what to answer about 4 times in the whole game, the rest of the time you have no influence on what your character says.

Also, the main character is fixed. You play as a young man, Christophe. I don't mind to be "forced" to play a certain character and I liked Christophe, but I also liked the two Nameless Ones (the one from Planescape and the one from Gothic) and IIRC you didn't :)

Bloodlines was not at all like redemption, i.e. it was very good ;) , but you don't have a party there and it isn't set in a fantasy world, but in Los Angeles.

If you're looking for good, class-less RPG's, I can recommend two: Morrowind and Arcanum.

Once you get past the graphics, you'll notice that Arcanum is great, quite deep, but with a few rough edges and slips (the legendary elven hero, once he joins your party, turns out to be a human, and much weaker than you, etc.). Good story, too.

Morrowind I've played a lot, but only in short periods. It's enjoyable, but not terribly deep or balanced (the system is easy enough to abuse). It's major flaw is the lack of character interaction and good dialogue.

Oh, and how about Fallout? IIRC, it was classless as well.

Arcanum char-gen is awesomic, even if only fo rthe ability to select the fact that you've been recently released from a mental institute :-)

I'm not aware of any CRPG which is as classlass as you wish, most CRPGs revel in having well-defined paths, choices and character types.

One solution would be to just mod BG2 to have such a system :)

Guys, I am again repeating the same question - did anyone ever tried to replace Arcanum avatars with BG? I loved the character creation and I heard nothing but good things about the game, but one single thing that totally screwed it for me where those horrible, horrible sprites.

Arcanum has an interesting character generation system, but it is deeply flawed. You can only be a female of a very few races; no female dwarves, for instance. Also, they got constitution right in that females are given a higher con than males, but then they "made up" for that by making constitution well-nigh useless compared to strength. All constitution does is help you resist poison, basically; it adds a small amount of HP, but nothing compared to what strength adds, and strength helps your carry weight and physical attacks too. Easily moddable, and I modded it, but still not cool.

There are a lot of sexist touches throughout the whole game. Temple of Elemental Evil's the same in that area, though of course they weren't able to mess with ability scores; I haven't touched Bloodlines because Troika made it, and every description I've seen has told me that they just kept descending down that dank pit. Thankfully they're out of business now.

Guys, I am again repeating the same question - did anyone ever tried to replace Arcanum avatars with BG? I loved the character creation and I heard nothing but good things about the game, but one single thing that totally screwed it for me where those horrible, horrible sprites.

Domi are you talking about avatar meaning 2d pictures or sprite animations? If the second it's not that easy, you should probably ask the guy who converted some Diablo2 sprites to BG2...

Archived