Deheriana's Innates

What to do with the Innates  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Basically nobody commented on it up to date, but when I initially made Deheriana I made her to have three Innate priestly abilities, because to me she seemed such a weak character (as the tripple-class)

Then people requested a few different choices for her class, and I added them, but I still kept the innates, because Kivan reffered to her as a healer, and all new incarnations were pure mages.

So, in your experience, are these innates necessary? Partially necessary?

I don't have a storng preference either way, and never really worried about it.

Also, if you have a moment, I'd like to hear about her classes again. Are they needed, or is there one everyone preffers and be happy with? Or are the choices in theis case a GOOD thing? Again, I have no problems with leaving them in or taking them out.

Or, a piece de resistance, do you want a new kit, and what that kit would be?

Since this game I'm using her as a FMC, I voted for #1 - keep them only on the mages, since the FMC already has the healer part. As for the class part, I believe that having multiple choices will allow you to put her in a party more easily (which for at least some people is good).

Of course, altering her innate selection could reduce the 'forgot to remove Bhaalspawn abilities' moment of confusion - especially since Horror and Vampiric Touch don't look like healer-ish abilities. ;)

As for additional classes, personally I am fine with having her as a FMC - there are already Evokers and Enchanters lying around ;)

I am playing a game now where I will have her in my party and I choose the FMC because I would like to easily have her fit into my party. I think that's they only way I'd use and keep her because she'll fit in with my party and I certainly don't need her as a mage. As for the innates, I really don't care either way. For myself, I'm just concerned with her class and FMC is perfect for me. I always have a cleric in my party so healing is not an issue and what spells she will have are more than enough for me. As for mages...there are enough already, I think!

I think FMC rules, and is so powerful it doesn't need any innates. Maybe Wild Mage does, but, frankly, I am scared of this class and never tried it.

Whatever suits you. ;) I thought of an innate for Xan, since he's weak as a kitten, but then I consulted a few more experienced folks and decided against it.

For Deheriana, I think it's like this: if people want a powerhouse, they'll play FMC. If they want challenge and roleplay, they'll choose a pure mage and probably won't need any innates. But it's just me.

My advice is, whatever you do, make them not so obviously copied from the PC, in the interests of not looking sloppy. Make them different, give her innate Time Stop if you want, or delete them entirely. Just not the same configuration as the PC.

First of all, I think it's a good thing that the player can choose her class. Even if most people (including myself) prefer her to be FMC, there may be some who would like her to be a single class mage, so as long as it does not cause any problems, I would keep the possibility for the player to choose.

The only option I do not really like is the Wild Mage... not that I do not like the class in general, but in my view, Deheriana does not make the impression of being one who would mess around with chaos components and take the risk of accidentally summoning a cow instead of a fireball or changing her target's colour or sex. She just doesn't seem to be the kind of person who would become a Wild Mage.

(Personally, I would have liked her to be a 'real' healer... I always thought she had the air of a cleric, or perhaps even more of a druid, considering her love for animals, plus I think druids and rangers make excellent companions. However, I know that the rules used in BG don't allow elves to become druids (which is why I usually use SK to create a neutral good elven druid, in accordance with 3rd edition rules), but I still think she would make a fine 'real' healer characterwise. I'm not asking to make her one, however, she should be fine as a FMC.)

Concerning her innate abilities, I think keeping them for single class mages would be best, but changing them to, say, Cure Light Wounds or Cure Moderate Wounds would be a good idea.

Since this game I'm using her as a FMC, I voted for #1 - keep them only on the mages, since the FMC already has the healer part.

I agree, especially if the NPC's (and Kivan) refer to Deheriana as a 'healer'. ;) but...

Concerning her innate abilities, I think keeping them for single class mages would be best, but changing them to, say, Cure Light Wounds or Cure Moderate Wounds would be a good idea.

;)

What is also important is that no elven lorebok mentions innate divine/arcane abilities of the elves(besides reverie, Spirit connection, and, in case of 450++ year old High Mages, some others) as something natural, so, unless Deheriana is an offspring of some divine entity, I do not see how it may work.

Sounds good to me. So, I will plan on deleting all innates, leaving one cure light wounds on pure mages for the story purposes. I think that I will keep her classes selections, by the reason that it was put in on request, and because it makes it a bit easier on the folk to include a character in the end of the game.

As for pure cleric, I will not be able to do it immediately, but maybe it will make sense to later on introduce a non-PC selectable kit for her, such as a cleric of Sehanine, Solonor or Rillifane.

Sehanine Moonbow

Power: Intermediate deity

Title: Daughter of the Night Skies, Goddess of moonlight, the Lunar Lady, Moonlit Mystery, the Mystic Seer, Lady of Dreams

Alignment: CG

Worshipers: LG, NG, CG, LN, N, CN

Clerics: NG, CG, N, CN

Symbol: Misty crescent above a full moon Domains: Chaos, Elf, Good, Illusion, Knowledge, Moon, Travel

Portfolio: mysticism, dreams, death, journeys, transcendence, the moon, the stars, the heavens, moon elves

Favored weapon: Moonshaft (quarterstaff)

Festivals:

Mystic Rites of the Luminous Cloud (Moonfest)

Lunar Hallowings (Full Moon)

Popular Regions

Waterdeep (Half-Elf)

Solonor Thelandira

Title: Keen-Eye, the Great Archer, the Forest Hunter

Clerics: NG, CG, CN

Symbol: Silver arrow with green fletching  Domains: Chaos, Elf, Good, Plant, War

Portfolio: Archery, hunting, wilderness survival

Favored weapon: Longshot (longbow)

Festivals:

The Day of Corellon's Peace ("Cinnaeloscor") (Shieldmeet)

Giving of Thanks (Full Moon)

Rillifane Rallathil

Title: The Leaflord, the Wild One, the Great Oak, the Many-Branched, the Many-Limbed, Old Man of the Yuirwood

Clerics: NG, CG, N, CN

Symbol: Oak tree Domains: Chaos, Elf, Good, Plant, Protection

Portfolio: Woodlands, nature, wild elves, druids

Favored weapon: The Oakstaff (quarterstaff)

Festivals:

The Budding (19 Ches)

The Transformation (21 Eleint)

Popular Regions

Chondalwood (Elf)

Aglarond (Half-Elf)

Hmmm, I haven't yet had time to do a run through with Kivan, so I don't know her personality all that well, but it would seem to be if she's got a strong love of animals and the wild, that Rillifane would be a pretty good choice for Deheriana's patron, or possibly Sehanine, since Solonor seems a bit millitant (well, as millitant as elf deities get).

Well, based on her story, I like Sehanine, but I see two problems with making her a pure cleric: first that she will need extra content to reflect this change, and the second that well, the kit has to be developped and made, and at present I have no idea what it could be like. So, it is something I will put aside for now with more Deheriana-SoA content and think on that more later on.

Ok, I'm playing Kivan & Deheriana, but I am still far from Suldanessalar.

However, I have had a few ideas about Deheriana's class. I had this weird idea: why not turning her into a bard.

Why the modder's agreement, you could use Song & Silence kits. I think the Chorister kit would suit her well with the few healing capacities, or maybe the Gyspy kit (which I am a big fan of, actually ^^)

Pure cleric seems a bit odd to me, although I cannot really explain why.

But all this is oly if you plan adding new choices, which are already in a sufficient number ^^

According to the rules used in BG2, elves cannot become bards, so making Deheriana a bard would be just as 'illegal' as turning her into a druid (something about which one may or may not care).

Apart from that, I personally don't think that a bard really fits her character, but I think it is really interesting how different people view her in different ways and how almost everybody could imagine a different class for her. If someone now suggests a barbarian or a monk, we've basically had it all. ;)

My theory why people, me inclusive, so easily assign Deheriana different classes etc, is that (again my impression) what we know of her is that she was a woman that was worth it for a man like Kivan (ie not an easily swayed to love poetic type). I already noted my difficulties with writing for a perfect woman in the protected forum. Basically, for me in the end it boiled down to writing a woman that I will not begrudge a man's love to, even if I am madly in love with that man myself. But still, she is pretty much the only character from the bunch I wrote and still am writing for, whom I see sort of through the golden veil of Kivan's adoration, and she is still a mystery for me.

As for the bard, yes, it bothers me to go against canon in this case, because while I believe that some elves can be bard with justification provided, I can't really come up with one for Deheriana, which won't make her into a blatant Mary Sue and require significant rewrites of her material. She is definetly more of an extravert of the two and there is nothing to say that she can't sing, but I don't see her plying the ministrel's trade, juggling or picking pockets. Another thing is that there are two interesting and exceptional female bards released or soon to be released (Keto and Delainey) who are much more complete and thought out than Deheriana could ever be if she is recast as a bard.

Monc, Druid or Barbarian will require a complete rebuild of the character, so it is simply out of the question for me.

And to be honest, I don't want to lose the clerical side of her completely, because it was something I always saw in her by whatever reason. So, yes, if I add anything class wise, it will most probably be a cleric kit.

Archived