How do you play Baldur's Gate?

berelinde

I got a really cool question over at PlanetBG, and I thought I might share the gist of it.

The question: "Is this a serious question?"

Yes, it is.

OK, I've stated my interest in how other people play BG, and how I would like to more fully appreciate their playing styles. No mysteries there.

But I'm also starting to write (and code, gods willing) a Tutu NPC, and would genuinely like to know about all the things that make an NPC worhwhile in your game.

1. How many NPCs do you usually include (for solo, 0)?

The full amount. The best part about the series IS the NPCs, in my opinion.

2. Do you prefer a themed party (all good, all evil, all mages, all wizard slayers, etc.) or do you prefer a balanced party in terms of class and alignment?

I try to balance it as far as class goes. Three melee, three magical.

3. Does NPC personality influence your party composition?

Oh yes. It's the most important thing, besides the above mentioned melee/magic composition.

4. Does an NPC quest influence your party composition?

Not really. It's a nice extra, but the banters/lovetalks are more important.

5. Does NPC power influence your party composition?

It doesn't hurt, but it's less of an issue.

6. Regarding your PC (player 1), do you single-class, dual-, or multi-?

Usually single, just recently started experimenting with multi. I always play elves so dual isn't really as much of an option for me when you can multi.

7. How powerful do you want your PC to be in terms of the challenges posed by the game?

Since I like the roleplaying and story more than the battles, I usually play on Easy mode. That probably sums it up right there.

8. How powerful do you want your PC to be compared to the NPCs?

Doesn't really matter. Any PC I make will be weaker in some areas and stronger then others. I make them to be at least somewhat realistic, no mini-goddesses for me. :)

9. How do you utilize multi-classed characters?

My thief/mage is played as a mage who picks locks, disarms traps and shoots a bow. My cleric/mage is played as the walking doomslinger and healer that she is. :D

10. How do you use 'specialty-class' characters (bards, monks, specialty kits)?

I love to break the rules and make an elven bard. I play her a lot like I play my thief/mage.

1 How many NPCs do you usually include (for solo, 0)?

Five at any given time, though my party composition changes over the course of the game.

2 Do you prefer a themed party (all good, all evil, all mages, all wizard slayers, etc.) or do you prefer a balanced party in terms of class and alignment?

Balanced in terms of class, but balanced in terms of alignment is kind of impossible in BG, and probably would be tough to roleplay with most character concepts.

3 Does NPC personality influence your party composition?

It's my number one influence.

4 Does an NPC quest influence you party composition?

Yes, I pick up NPCs for their quests even if I don't keep them in my party long-term.

5 Does NPC power influence your party composition?

No.

6 Regarding your PC (player 1), do you single-class, dual-, or multi-?

Yes. :). I don't play the same character every time.

7 How powerful do you want your PC to be in terms of the challenges posed by the game?

Powerful enough to be challenged by them but not destroyed by them. I don't like mods that add incredibly tough battles, especially those that only have one strategy to win.

8 How powerful do you want your PC to be compared to the NPCs?

Slightly more powerful, as the PC's stats are rolled, and she is the child of a god. NPCs with similar stats should be extremely rare, like Sarevok.

9 How do you utilize multi-classed characters?

I'm not sure I completely understand this question, but I'll give it a shot. I don't equip anything on them that would disable any of their abilities, and I use all their abilities. Jaheira spends as much time doing fighter stuff as doing druid stuff, Aerie casts as many mage spells as cleric spells (if rest-casting isn't counted), etc.

10 How do you use 'specialty-class' characters (bards, monks, specialty kits)?

I don't really get this question either. I just use all their abilities, when appropriate.

Five, always.

2 Do you prefer a themed party (all good, all evil, all mages, all wizard slayers, etc.) or do you prefer a balanced party in terms of class and alignment?

At least four strong first-liners. Anomen and Jaheira count, Viconia or Yoshimo do not. One and only one mage, a part time thief or cleric. Alignment usually does not count, but I'd rather take someone good over someone evil because of one reason: Holy Smite.

Yes. I'd rather take NPCs I personally like.

Not at all. For the first several years of playing BGII, I never realized Mazzy, Jan and Cernd actually had quests.

Yes. Viconia is my favourite NPC, but I rarely take her: she loses to Jaheira, Branwen and Anomen. Same goes for Tiax, Eldoth, Faldorn, Aerie, Haer'Dalis...

On the other hand, Korgan is the best fighter in both games, but I'd rather take Valygar, because I like him. I'd say for me power is nearly as imporant as personality.

A sorceress, or a thief: fighter/thief, thief, swashbuckler or assassin.

7 How powerful do you want your PC to be in terms of the challenges posed by the game?

If I can get an 18, I'll get it. Normally I get around 90 points. Still lose to Sarevok, though.

Normally, PC is strong enough to get 20-25% group experience, but Anomen with Crom or Valygar wielding Fury get the same or more.

Normally I don't take them in my party. Jaheira is the only exception, and I use her as a fighter who can heal and cast Iron Skins. A single-class character is more effective in my parties: multiclass I leave for solo games.

They are great when playing solo. In a party my experience is that they lose, since they can't get the best of everything(equipment, etc).

I always have a full party, so 5 plus my pc.

Usually I prefer a balance because I tend to play chaotic neutral. I absolutely have to have Edwin and occassionally I need a good fighter so I take Korgan, and since I can't allow my rep. to get too high or the evil will leave (ie. Korgan and

Viconia) I need some good and some evil and I try to stay in the middle as far as rep. is concerned. I also need balance because I'm not game-savvy enough to have all fighters or all mages. I need a bit of all in order to successfully make it thru a game.

Oh, absolutely. I seldom take characters I hate unless their quest and/or quest items are worthwhile to me. These days I tend to take Kelsey, then betray him later just to get the item indelible scroll. I do like Hubelpot but like his sapient staff scroll quite a lot. I now hardly go thru a game without it. And lately I'm enjoying Beyond the law because of all the ambushes and experience that storyline has. Eddie is the love of my life and now I can't go without his "lich quest" either. I dislike terribly good characters and don't take Mazzy anymore at all even tho, iirc, her "sister quest" was good XP. I also don't take Jan even tho his quest has good XP, also.

Nope. With my balanced party I can manage the quests.

Sometimes. If I play a bard, a class I love but don't do too well with (due to my less-than-stellar knowledge) I like Tsujatha because he starts right out as a high level mage and I rely a lot on those Cloud Kill and higher spells to help me out. And I do find Anomen powerful (even tho I also find him annoying) because he can fight, sort of, and he turns out to be a very effective cleric for me.

I single class. I'm not totally dumb at this game, but I tend to not be a terribly strategic player so I focus on one class and go really high with it. When I've dualed or multied in the past I tend to under-utilize one class or the other.

7 How powerful do you want your PC to be in terms of the challenges posed by the game? Either greater than or at least equal to. Like I said, I'm not a great strategist! I'm pretty much hack and slash.

More powerful. Not extremely so, but a bit more than them. It's MY saga, after all!

Not much. I like straight mages and straight fighters. I do use Kivan as a great ranged attack tank. Anomen is the exception. I nearly always have him in my party for the romantic conflicts and for his spells, and he can wield some really great weapons.

For fun, basically. Right now I'm testing out GreyAcumen's Mime kit from Blacksheep and I like it. The colour scheme is cool (black and white no matter what armour you are wearing) and the "silencing song" is helpful, plus some of the Mime spells not only are a great help to my as a bard but look cool in the casting, especially the invisible box spell. I also get a kick out of using Mortis' vampire potion to make my pc a vampire and I play a Monk because of the fist attacks. I can then use that annoying level drain thing on my enemies for a change. :D

So, here is my pretty much non-strategic, basically hack and slash for fun and quests and interactions style of playing! ;) I hope it helps. But I have the feeling I'm probably the only "dumb" player on these forums... :)

Never soloed through the entire game because fights with a lot of enemies become tedious.

I keep a full complement of party memembers (6 characters in total).

I tend towards an all good party. I just can't stomach being bad.

Yes and no. For instance when I first started playing BG2, I really hate Aerie and rather disliked Anomen. But drop either and there go your options for Good aligned Clerics.

And Jaheira is another one I don't like much...mercurial people drive me nuts. I tend to give her the benefit of the doubt though because she just lost her husband and I liked Khalid in BG1.

All those things do mean that Jaheira is not a romance interest for me.

So sometimes I put up with NPCs that I don't like to keep a balanced party.

Yes. I tend to change out NPCs (aside from the evil ones) to complete all the various quests associated with the NPCs.

A little. Primarily I look for party balance...a couple of tanks, a mage or two, a cleric or two. Of the ~good aligned NPCs, I find Jan to me the most difficult to play with from a power perspective.

I've finished the game with a Sorcerer and a multi-class Cleric/Ranger, so I guess that means I prefer single or multi-class.

I don't see the PC as the one to make or break my party in terms of the challenges they face. If another character is better served by having the Ring of Gaxx and Carsomyr, then they get it.

They probably average slightly more powerful than the NPCs, but see No. 7 for the remainder of the equation.

I tend to have 2-3 tanks because that number seems to be the most effective at creating a 'shield-wall' for my support characters.

Since, multi-class characters often don't quite have the grunt to be tanks therefore, in my parties they tend to get regulated to support roles.

I like to have all my characters have some sort of 'support' ability such as turning undead, casting healing spells, or protecting the party with a bard's song, but after that the characters are either Tanks or Archers (melee or ranged).

In fact due to the limitations of the engine, I generally don't even equip my tanks with ranged weapons, otherwise they end up 'playng the pass vs. the run' (to use some American football terminology).

One huge advantage of using scripts like the eSeries, is that the scripts don't forget to use abilities. They might not use them as expertly as I would, but the abilities of all the classes do get used.

Hope it's not too late to add my voice...

I always go with a full party of 5 plus PC. That way I get the full range of interactions and to me that's the way the game was meant to be played.

Depends on what I'm doing with a given PC. Usually I go with a 'balanced theme'. Right now in BG1 Tutu I'm running an evil party centered around my neutral evil elven enchantress, Eris; and a good theme party based around my neutral good human fighter, Bohemond. I'm also planning on a chaotic party centered around a chaotic neutral blade. Regardless of overall theme, I pretty much like to always have individuals who can fulfill the roles of tank, spellslinger, thief, and healer either as single or multi-classes.

3 Does NPC personality influence your party composition? Depends. I tend to play in terms of story. For example, Bohemond's party lost Khalid in the fight with the Ogrillons south of Beregost--unlucky chunkville due to how he routed while avoiding the ogrillon. As a result, I played Jaheria as being sullen and resentful of Bohemond whom she blamed for Khalid's death (Thank you BG1NPC project for that dialogue!). In a later encounter in the woods just before reaching the Gnoll fortress, the party, now consisting of B, J, Branwen, Imoen, and Minsc, run into a pair of winter wolves. J casts an entangle and B gets caught up in it with one of the winter wolves blowing cold air and snapping at him the entire time. Thankfully, he makes all his saving throws and the wolf doesn't connect with a bite before going down. Of course, what happened was that B didn't get out of the radius of effect in time; but I played it in terms of J possibly subconsciously trying to get B killed. For the rest of chapter 2, Branwen, B, and Imoen would glance suspiciously at J, with her feeling their stares on her. Eventually, after completing Chapter 2 and returning to Beregost, I complete the Silke quest and pick up Garrick, dropping J who decides to leave the team. But, getting back to the point, I don't necessarily let whether a soundset or character personality rubs me the wrong way or not decide whether I'm going to take a character or not.

4 Does an NPC quest influence you party composition? Sometimes, but not always. I always try to take Nalia and Valygar with me and I always take Imoen at Spellhold, although I might drop her once we return to Akathla.

5 Does NPC power influence your party composition? Absolutely not. In fact, the less...capable...NPC's are often the most fun.

6 Regarding your PC (player 1), do you single-class, dual-, or multi-? Yes :mad: Seriously, it depends on how I conceive the character.

7 How powerful do you want your PC to be in terms of the challenges posed by the game? The character should be able to 'beat' the game regardless of character class, however should not be so powerful as to unbalance the game. I want the game to be a good challenge, not an exercise in futility. I also like multiple routes to 'victory'. I'm a firm believer in game balance.

8 How powerful do you want your PC to be compared to the NPCs? For story purposes the PC should be a bit more powerful than the NPCs, but not overwhelmingly so. Balance...

9 How do you utilize multi-classed characters? I try to play to their strengths as much as possible.

10 How do you use 'specialty-class' characters (bards, monks, specialty kits)? Bards are excellent for identification, spell and fighter support, as well as the odd bit of pickpocketing. I'm not familiar with use of monks. Kits I like are the assassin and blade kits. Blades, once they reach a good enough level, are basically buzzsaws with spells--very dangerous; and assassins are horrendously lethal backstabbers.

Hope this helps...

Depends. I tend to play in terms of story. For example, Bohemond's party lost Khalid in the fight with the Ogrillons south of Beregost--unlucky chunkville due to how he routed while avoiding the ogrillon. As a result, I played Jaheria as being sullen and resentful of Bohemond whom she blamed for Khalid's death (Thank you BG1NPC project for that dialogue!). In a later encounter in the woods just before reaching the Gnoll fortress, the party, now consisting of B, J, Branwen, Imoen, and Minsc, run into a pair of winter wolves. J casts an entangle and B gets caught up in it with one of the winter wolves blowing cold air and snapping at him the entire time. Thankfully, he makes all his saving throws and the wolf doesn't connect with a bite before going down. Of course, what happened was that B didn't get out of the radius of effect in time; but I played it in terms of J possibly subconsciously trying to get B killed. For the rest of chapter 2, Branwen, B, and Imoen would glance suspiciously at J, with her feeling their stares on her. Eventually, after completing Chapter 2 and returning to Beregost, I complete the Silke quest and pick up Garrick, dropping J who decides to leave the team. But, getting back to the point, I don't necessarily let whether a soundset or character personality rubs me the wrong way or not decide whether I'm going to take a character or not.

This bit makes me say, "Fanfic, plz." :mad:

Seeing as it is not too late...

The full five, always. The unique selling point of the series is the NPCs, in the first game the sheer number and possible combinations, the second the level of interaction.

It usually depends on the alignment of the PC I'm playing. If I'm playing a Lawful Good paladin I'm more likely to play a good aligned party, a Neutral Evil theif a more sinister companions are required. With a True Neutral druid I tend to mix alignments more to try and create a sense of balance.

Of course, Mazzy's valor and loyalty means she's a constant companion for good and neutral companions, Cernd's calmness and gentle humour ensures his inclusion, while Jaheira's abrasiveness and Keldorn's puritanical close-mindedness ensure they rarely feature.

4 Does an NPC quest influence you party composition?.

Only Nalia in that if I'm am not playing a class that can assume control of de'Arnise Keep (which is rare), and a good/neutral aligned character, I feel so sorry for all of her loss I always take her with me.

No - my parties are more likely to include those characters considered less powerful e.g. Mazzy, Valygar, Cernd Nalia and Jan, than the heavy-hitters/powerhouses.

I play all three, but my order of preference would be single, multi-, dual

Capable of meeting the challenge, but not so much that game is easy.

As long as I am at least equal, but preferably beat Imoen in every ability score I'm happy. My favourite classes to play are bards and thieves so its rare that my Pc is as powerful as the NPC's.

Generally as support characters.

When playing a bard the character generally plays a supporting role, well away from the front line. I've never played as a monk and as for kits I play them to their strengths.

PC + 5 almost always. “Almost†meaning I will often drop an NPC off in a good location well ahead of picking up a new one. E.g. If I’m heading out to do the Unseeing Eye and going to replace, say, Aerie with Keldorn, I will go to the circus first to disband her rather than kick her out in the middle of a sewer. Similarly, I will then leave Keldorn with his family rather taking him along just to leave him in a desecrated temple miles from anywhere when I pick-up Mazzy. (Yes, I do know the NPCs can all find their own way perfectly well. Guess I'm just a softie :mad: )

The NPCs are a critical part of the game enjoyment for me.

Other than an all evil party once, neither. Even when playing good, I will take evil NPCs with me as I really do not want banters/interjections going all one way “Now I remember why…/I’m so glad you…/Ah we are all heroes…/I heartily approve…etc†like a chorus line. I play for party dynamics which often are very unbalanced alignment/class/skill/power wise.

Very much so.

To a certain extent. The sixth slot is usually a rotation slot and I also exploit forced absences to the max. E.g. When Jaheira is away; I’ll cram in as many quests/NPCs as I can before giving her back her slot.

No.

Single when non-human. Dual at level 12 when human.

Pretty powerful. A) Since PC is supposed to be one of the most powerful Bhaalspawns alive, it just feels ‘wrong’ for an average dime-a-dozen Yuan-ti grunt to be able to hit me harder than I can hit him (I always play in at least Hard mode). B) My party is pretty unbalanced at times (see answer to Q2&Q5) so I need to be powerful. C) I try not to cheese. I will always walk-up to challenge a foe face to face (e.g. dragons/liches/some casters) and start the battle from ground-zero and not try to get in a few free whacks while they are still blue. NO laying traps/buffing up/summoning creatures etc before battle starts.

To this end, I’m willing to roll 50+ times, if needed, to get an acceptable total for allocation.

I do not set out with this objective in mind. However, it tends to end-up that way anyway as I like to make my characters powerful in their own right, the extra exp given by the game and the tendency for us to give our PC the first pick of gear that our class can use.

I utilize all skills that I find useful for the situation.

I do often start of with a kit for my base class (e.g. zerker rather plain fighter) but other than that, not at all for BG2. (But I always have a bard, for example, in IWD)

Cheers

I must be one of the more inexperienced players here. I've played BG1 and only completed it once!

A full party, but I swapped npc's from chapter to chapter to match the task at hand.

With the exception of Xzar and Monteron (because they were the only option at the beginning), neutral/good only and a good mix of class.

Absolutely, they all must at least tolerate one another.

Usually when the quest was over I added someone new, to mix things up a bit.

No.

I always played dual-fighters in pnp, way back when. So I played a bard to be different. But now that I think of it, a Bard is all classes wrapped into one package. And a skald has fighter skills... hey, subconsciously I was playing the same as before :)

At the end Sarevok was ridiculously over-powered. After several feeble attempts, I resorted to cheating. :)

I just want my PC to survive! My PC had about the same total points as Imoen.

Multi-class characters overlap abilities, so for example, a mage and fighter/mage allow you to memorize a broader range of spells.

My PC was the only one in the party and I used him to support the NPCs.

In bg1 and bg2:soa its full party usually, but in tob in purposes of roleplaying its only me, Imoen and Sarevok. I feel i just cant involve somebody else in this bloody mess. It started with us, so we must end it. Currently I plan new bg2 game with Longer Road installed, so Irenicus will be included as well.

Again, I try to roleplay, so evil- and good-aligned NPC are rarely met in my party.

Class balance means for me that i should have at least 1 thief in party, and 1 arcane spellcaster. Maybe single, dual or multi

Yes of course. I never take NPC i don't like

very little, unless it's really big quest. I usually take Valygar, since it's the only way for good character to get into sphere, but that's all. After finishing his quest I can kick him out or not - depends of my whim).

Not very much, too. Baldur's powerful (i'd say overpowered) items reduce the difference.

single is more often, but i've already tried almost every single class, so multi will prevail in future, i think

i'm roleplayer, but i'm powerplayer, also. I make my character as powerful as it possible (currently i'm playing sorcerer str19/dex20/con18/int11/wis21/cha12 - no cheats) and want corresponding challenges. I wanna my PC (i mean party, i never go solo) could win every usual battle without special preparations (no sleep especially for temple sewers party or guarded compound, no metagame information should be used). But in every batlle if i try to hack and slash it should be me who hacked and slashed. Good tactics needs to be chosen every time. And boss fights are supposed to be very difficult. It does not mean i have to reload 10 times, but it is possible

I don't really care about it, usually PC is slightly stronger, but it's due to his stats and i do nothing to make him overwhelming. Mages are just stronger in latest stages of game. Last time i went through ToB Imoen's part in final battle was about 70 persent. I love her for it)

due to my gaming style, it is nesessary to use all of their abilities.

I always use kits when i can, and sometimes even when i can't). I really don't like using cheats or SK, but cleric without any god seems very strange to me, so when i played with multi fighter/cleric, i changed "general" cleric to priest of Helm, only in RP purposes. Kits add some "flavor" into game. But i don't use any kits from mods. My last character was monk.

11. Do you play with add-on NPCs, and if so, how many at a time, and why?

I do. But unlike Bioware NPC, addon NPC must prove that he is worthy. It depends of his story, his personality, his quest and his portrait).

Archived